Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Things PSO2 should do, that PSU did not.

Being a long time PSO fan since the dreamcast days, I can tell you (aswell as any pso fan) that PSU did not deliver like we were all expecting it to.

For starters the graphics were pretty bad (not a huge improvement from pso), the music was "meh" at best, and the game just didnt have that amazing magical feel to it that PSO had. You when you played PSO it was always fun and hardly ever boring. The music was great and so were the graphics for it's time. The level of polish was much higher aswell. Everything had a very nice touch to it. PSU lacked all of these things.

Another huge thing about PSO was the fact that we were always connected with the Japanese servers and EU servers. Basically we were all together in one big place. You could either choose US, EU, or JP. There was no such thing as JP servers only and US/EU only. I'm aware that on the 360 we are all connected too, but that doesnt really count since 98% of the Japanese population plays on their own JP server which is the PC one. It's no secret that they are far ahead of us because of this reason alone.

In PSO we were all equal for the most part. We all had access to the same things at all times. There was no such thing as "Oh JP is one year and a half ahead of us!!".

Now dont get me wrong, PSU is a really cool game (IMO) but I would be lying if I said that it didnt lack in many departments. However when comparing it to PSO it does have some cool things to offer.

In PSO the combat was much more basic and not as flashy as PSU's. For example, melee attacks were done by doing a easy to do 3 hit button input. It require timing kinda like Just Attacking in psu only easier. Some weapons like Sabers did only 3 hits, other weapons did up to 6 hits (with a 3 button press aswell). Basically each weapon type had it's own ammount of hits and animation. However that was it.

PSU has that along with PA's. This made combat much more awesome and more fun. In pso you actually found techs with a random lvl (from 1-30 30 being the max lvl and also really rare) in PSU as we all know we level up our techs so in my opinion this was a much better thing as well.

PSU is a game that has good things, but it's negative things far outweight it. For example. PSO only had 8 "missions" (GC version and up) it was divided by Episode 1 and Episode 2. Ep1 had Forest, Caves, Mines, and Ruins (just like our current event in psu). Ep2 had Temple, Sapceship, Central Control Area, and Seabed.

Now you might think, that PSO was boring because it only had 8 maps to play on, but you are wrong. These maps were FAR more polished than ANYTHING psu has to offer. For example, when you werent fighting creatures, the map had a different theme and when you came across some monsters the game had a different theme (just like a traditional rpg cool!) plus all 8 maps were COMPLETELY unique from one another all with their own monsters and music. They all had a main boss at the end, none of the bosses were cut and paste bosses either (or reskins) they were all VERY unique with their own themes.

To spice it up even more, PSO had a mode called Ultimate mode this made everything really hard, but to make things even cooler the maps in Ep1 had a different look to them. For example, the forest insted of being in the daytime it was set in the sunset and all of the monsters had a brand new look to them (mostly more evil brutal looking). Ep2 has Ultimate mode as well, but the maps and creatures all stay the same

PSU has a TON of missions! However, most of them suck...That's a HUGE problem with psu.

For starters, alot of them look the same, have the same theme, have the same monsters, and if they do have a boss it's just a reskin with the same theme as the other boss. It's lame as hell. It just feels very "meh" compared to PSO. It's like sure we have a ton of missions in psu, but they all look the same as the other.

In psu everyone (including myself) run one mission only for the most part. But in PSO you ran them all. Every mission had it's own unique items as well. So there was always a reason to go to a certain one if you wanted a rare from that said mission.

Now that I explained all of this (mostly for those who have not played PSO) lets move on to the meat of my topic.

PSO2 should be alot more like PSO (again I love my psu, but i'm not blind) but, it should take what PSU did right into account as well. For example, PA's PSO2 should have PA's and leveling them up should be silimar to PSU. Classes, PSO2 should also have many classes like PSU. PSO had classes but they were tied to a certain character and race. For example, a HUmar was a Human, Male, Hunter a HUnewearl was Female, Newman, Hunter. You could not change their classes. If you picked a HUmar you were a HUmar forever.

PSO2 should take the PSU class system aswell I really enjoy that about psu. PSU gives you freedom. Hell you can be a Neuman Fight master if you want or a Cast Master Force is you want. Sure it may not be most ideal thing to be but who cares, psu gives you that freedom ^_^

Now heres another very important thing. PSO2 should be handle much different than how PSU got handled in the US. As we all know it's horrible, updates are slow, we are behind as hell, we have had a huge number of server related problems etc etc. As of right no we are about a year and a half behind japan (ouch).

The best thing to cure this would be to have everyone together once again n one huge server US, EU, and JP. That way when JP gets updated we get updated. Or if they insist on splitting us up again, we need a much better staff here in the US from my understanding our staff is small and not very competent (sorry but its true). We need to get the updates fast so that we can stay on par with japan or close to them and have us stay that way.

Now i'm not gonna blame everything on SOA I know SOJ has a hand in this aswell. Overall both have to get in gear and treat everyone the same. There's been countless debates on why we are so behind japan some even say SOJ/SOA just doesnt care some even say it's racism from SOJ who knows. What I do know is that the results suck, and such results have made many players quit psu.

So again they need to treat everyone the same that way we can all enjoy the updates the same way our fellow japanese players enjoy them.

Anyways, the new stuff about PSO2 made me make this topic. I'm a huge PSO fan (the reason I play psu) so I figured i'd post my thoughts on the matter since i've played both for many years now

I can keep going on in more detail about both games, but that's the gist of it. Plus I dont wanna bore you guys with so much text, this is already long enough.

Anyhow, like always please post your thoughts on the topic at hand, tell me what you personally would like to see in PSO2 compared to PSU, let me know if you agree or disagree with some of the things I want etc etc. Anyone's opinion is welcome here. Even from thsoe who only played psu.

Sorry, but some of those reasons just sound nostalgic to me.

PSOBB EU/US was separated from JP.

PSO has as much reskins as PSU, look at the most obvious, 3 Booma variants, then they were sharks and again 3 variants, mines had some original stuff then, ruins, 3 Dimenians variants again. Which are all obviously reskined Boomas. Then Hello Ultimate!

EP2 did bring in more original stuff, but then EP4 had to bring along more Booma variants again along with some new stuff. (Just picking the obvious Booma reskins here since there were so many, there were others of course.)

PSU's White Beast is akin to PSO's TTF, sure you do something else for rares that you can't find in there, but most people are going to be constantly running it.

For starters, alot of them look the same, have the same theme, have the same monsters, and if they do have a boss it's just a reskin with the same theme as the other boss. It's lame as hell. It just feels very "meh" compared to PSO. It's like sure we have a ton of missions in psu, but they all look the same as the other.
    Though this sounds exactly like PSO, always the same levels with the same enemies, now if the levels were better designed or etc, that's your opinion, but it sounds exactly like PSO. Now on bosses they obviously had to compensate for having a huge amount of missions, they obviously weren't going to make a unique boss for each landscape, now what's the easiest way out for Sega than to reskin something?

I pretty much agreed with the rest, though I would actually prefer PSP2i class system.
    Last edited by Vashyron; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks for clearing up the PSOBB stuff for me. I didnt touch up on any of the PSOBB stuff cuz I didnt have a computer that could run games at the time so I just skipped it all together lol.

I only played Dreamcast and GC version of PSO

I have to disagree a lil on your post though. Sure PSO did infact had some reskins and the levels all had the same "feel" to them. But they were atleast much different from each other with totaly different enemies from one another.

Lets takes Moatoob in psu for example, Like 5 missions there with the same exact monsters, same music, same level design (not even a different color..) the exact same thing. The only difference is the name of the mission.

Now dont get me wrong, I totaly understand what you are saying, but it's not as bad as psu. In pso atleast they tried. in psu they just said **** it cut and paste all day...

As for the nostalgic stuff, you're right. I love PSO so I do feel alot of nostalgia when I think about it.

It is certainly more apparent in PSU since they went crazy with the copy and pasting, but though think if every single PSU map theme had only 1 variant that wouldn't be a improvement now would it?

They were certainly designed for copy and pasting in mind though.

You neglected to mention that half of the enemies in episode 2 are the exact same enemies from episode 1.

Downloadable updates, rather than unlocking content we already paid for.
    Phantasy Star 2 Char/Serv
    ChronoTrigga - Human Female - Ship 7 / Block 30

Yea exactly, it's like they didnt even bother to "hide" the cutting and pasting.

Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that, I would prefer less missions to play on as long as every mission has it's own very unique items, unique monsters, unique music, and unique bosses.

In this regard PSO did a much better job.

I just hope PSO2 has little to no cut and paste. But we will see. I can deal with some like PSO, I just dont want it to get out of hand like in psu lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dongra View Post
    You neglected to mention that half of the enemies in episode 2 are the exact same enemies from episode 1.
    I was just really going with the Booma variants. EP2 Spaceship and Temple did have all the EP1 stuff and boss reskins.

Quote Originally Posted by dias_flac_0g View Post
    Yea exactly, it's like they didnt even bother to "hide" the cutting and pasting.

Pretty much what i'm trying to say is that, I would prefer less missions to play on as long as every mission has it's own very unique items, unique monsters, unique music, and unique bosses.

In this regard PSO did a much better job.

I just hope PSO2 has little to no cut and paste. But we will see. I can deal with some like PSO, I just dont want it to get out of hand like in psu lol.

Been said already that PSO2 areas will be "randomly" generated, so it's PSU-ish? Though hoping that it's actually random and not like 3 variants with the same spawns and etc.
    Last edited by Vashyron; Apr 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dongra View Post
    Hey hey..Atleast Temple had it's own unique look and music to boot! lol.

It's not just that too ahh it's hard to explain.

For example, in PSO thinsg were just "prettier" had more polish.

In PSU the level design is just uhh really? Oh well whatever I guess... It's like they didnt really care that much. Atleast those are the vibes that I get. Of course anyone can disagree.

CCA and Seabed were the true players on Ep2 though

CCA looked AMAZING. NOTHING on psu looks amazing like that. To be honest with you the graphics in CCA look better than anything psu currently has...

CCA is just a very pretty lush place with a ton of detail. It's like you can tell they put EFFORT into it. Atleast when it coems to level design. The maps in psu are just flat and dull.

That's what lacks in psu IMO.

Seabed was nice, somehow PSU didn't think to do any map with reflections.