Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving Test

Don't they have like driver courses you can take where they loan you a car and you can use their car to practice as well as use their car for the test. I'm sure if you take these classes it'll also lower your insurance rates. Also what kind of cockamamey thing is that, that you guys gotta back out and around a corner? My test consisted of Merging into traffic, Parallel park, 3 point turn, and driving around the block.

Maybe thats what people who don't leave in the tristate area do, Drive backwards around corners.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

I pretty much just had to drive around the block and make a three point turn. They'll give a license to anyone who lives in my state. I didn't learn how to parallel park until like 5 years after I got my license and I still can't do it very well
    Images in signatures cannot exceed 35,000 bytes. The image in your signature was 87,626 bytes.

On Sylverant.

I think you're making too big of a deal about this. I did not need several years/months of practice to pass the test.
    (I lied about the time I got behind the wheel because my parents didn't trust me driving their only $25k+ truck that they need for utility on a daily basis)

They didn't have me do any parking or reverse during my test, but it was in a small town and lasted all but 20 minutes driving literally "around". I never had trouble parking the truck(I did the test in it...) and could without hours of practice if they were to have asked me to.
    Enough about me...

You'll be fine. You don't need years of experience(which you apparently have). Good luck.
    Last edited by sCI; Apr 11, 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Even if you're driver's permit has expired you can still drive, just keep it to parking lots. I was teaching a friend to drive, she didn't even have a permit, and I taught her to watch with cops in close proximity. I'm sure you've got the driving forward part down, if you7re worried being tested on other stuff then practice to the point where you an go around in a circle backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Even if you're driver's permit has expired you can still drive, just keep it to parking lots.
    This is what I was going to say. Try and find some big empy lot with some islands in it. You can use the islands to back around or if you have some kind of cones or something similar at home, those can help too.

I got lucky and had a car with a camera in the back so when I was backing up, the navigation system would turn into that camera and show me the back of my car, lol >___>

The lady asked "Are you going to be using this car to actually drive?" I replied yes, and she said it was okay then.

If possible, use a car like this xD
    ID: Haseyo FO
    Character: Roll Caskett | Ship: 02
    Character: Hsien-Ko | Ship: 02

Some handy advice:

Parallel parking is not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. I had to drive into the city and do it nearly every day last summer for my job. Just drive up next to the car in front of the space you want to park and make sure your back wheels are roughly parallel (!) to that car's back wheels; then, throw it in reverse, cut the wheel all the way to the right, and keep backing up until your passenger side mirror passes the aforementioned car's back wheel. At that point, start cutting the wheel back to the left so that by the time you're totally in between the two cars, the wheel will be more or less centered. You'll always have to do some minor adjustments once you're there, but that's to be expected, even on a driving test.

Also, you most likely won't have to parallel park in between two actual cars because of liability issues with the RMV. Instead, they'll set up a rectangle of cones (one pair of cones representing the front bumper of one car, the other representing the back bumper of the other car) that you have to parallel park into the middle of. If you just use your imagination, the above method still works, and on my test they were pretty generous about how much space they gave me.

Trust me, you'll do fine. Use a small car, though preferably one with decent visibility, if you have one.

I had a Toyota Camry, so parking is always a pain in tight spaces. -_-

A good car to drive in is a Toyota Prius for a test.

Remember that it's not the end of the world if you fail, and just pretend the driving instructor is your mom/dad. Relax and take it easy.
    megaoka | Kaz | Ship 2

Quote Originally Posted by Split View Post
    Some handy advice:

Parallel parking is not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. I had to drive into the city and do it nearly every day last summer for my job. Just drive up next to the car in front of the space you want to park and make sure your back wheels are roughly parallel (!) to that car's back wheels; then, throw it in reverse, cut the wheel all the way to the right, and keep backing up until your passenger side mirror passes the aforementioned car's back wheel. At that point, start cutting the wheel back to the left so that by the time you're totally in between the two cars, the wheel will be more or less centered. You'll always have to do some minor adjustments once you're there, but that's to be expected, even on a driving test.

Also, you most likely won't have to parallel park in between two actual cars because of liability issues with the RMV. Instead, they'll set up a rectangle of cones (one pair of cones representing the front bumper of one car, the other representing the back bumper of the other car) that you have to parallel park into the middle of. If you just use your imagination, the above method still works, and on my test they were pretty generous about how much space they gave me.

Trust me, you'll do fine. Use a small car, though preferably one with decent visibility, if you have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaziel View Post
    I had a Toyota Camry, so parking is always a pain in tight spaces. -_-

A good car to drive in is a Toyota Prius for a test.

Remember that it's not the end of the world if you fail, and just pretend the driving instructor is your mom/dad. Relax and take it easy.
    We have a Toyota Corolla that's a five-speed, and, yes, it's a small car.
    Last edited by Amaury; Apr 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added Split and Kaziel's quotes.

Dreams of surfing rappies NegaTsukasa's Avatar

screw cars. ride a grass assassin! great conversation starter! and they back up and parallel park for you!

(everyone else already gave the tips I was going to give.)