Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It is wonderful to know that converting back is possible, and seems to work well.

I'm kind of anticipating a huge crunch on it once we get our release date here. Everyone seems to have discovered 'hey psu 2 was fun, inf is still more fun, and ST is slow'. I am imagining a lot of imports.

I'm not in your same boat on the ability to read it. I find it super frusterating even though I am doing flashcards and all for the letters. I just wanted to play a game in a normal amount of time, but I guess learning another language is coming along for the ride. (Like, if they'd of done world-wide1 month later or something, I'd of never imported)

Since I can't read it well, it's not as much fun for me. I'll def. be at the head of any line for converting back once we get our date. Plus, experiencing the story, not just some summary seems important since they're doing a better job with those too.

Eagerly awaiting Eva 3.0 MESeele's Avatar

Flash cards huh? I had to learn both alphabets in the first week lol. Not fun. If you just learn the letters, you don't really need anything more to get by. Most weapons are in katakana, and so are just phonetic representations of english words. Easy enough to translate. Given the target demographic, most japanese worth reading in this game utilizes a large amount of kanji, which basically renders most foreigners unable to read it regardless of how much else they know.

As for a method to learn the alphabets, rather than flash cards; which never worked for me, try drawing out the chart. If you can write the characters, you will have no problem recognizing them. I found it much easier to learn that way than to stare at a picture and wrack my brain for its sound and try and permanently associate the two :/ . The phonetics follow a really simple pattern when laid out that way. Just draw out all the characters you know. Check back after each attempt. Keep writing them out. Eventually you'll fill out the entire chart.

I wouldn't bother writing out the english meaning beside it. Eventually you'll just start hearing the sound as you write them out. Sounds like adding extra steps, but if flash cards don't work well, you may well be in the same learning boat as me. You may be far more successful this way.

I know it can be frustrating. Everyone told me that flash cards were the best way...and most people get results with it. I just felt like an idiot because nothing would stick :'( . Then I exclaimed "screw this" - or a slightly more derogatory variation, and did it a way I felt would work.

Ah, though you won't get much use out of learning hiragana for this game specifically, I do suggest learning it first, if only on the chance that you decide to continue learning the language later on. Don't be discouraged! Fight ON!

Talking If you want to learn reading Japanese on a basic level.

Flash Cards help. That's how I began years ago. But what really helps most people I find is childhood songs or other mnemonic techniques.

Like the "ABC's / Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" song for example. There's a Japanese version of that, too. When you take a beginner's Japanese class for the first time, some teachers prefer to use that to teach students. Like this one I was made to recite:

♪ A I U E O, Ka ki ku ke ko ♪

♪ Sa shi su se so, Ta chi tsu te to ♪

♪ Ha hi fu he ho, Na ni nu ne no ♪

♪ Ma mi mu me mo, ya yu yo~♪

♪ Ra ri ru re ro, wa (w)o n... Hiragana zenbu oboeta yo! ♪

(The last line meaning "I remembered all Hiragana!") The song works for Katakana too since they both have the same number of characters and read the same.

But if anyone doesn't know Hiragana, here's some children's songs from YouTube that teach the alphabet easily to children / foreigners.

Spoiler!
    << This one's easiest, I think.

These two go a little bit more in depth.
    Spoiler!

I hope that helps a little bit. Katakana's just as easy to memorize as Hiragana, I think.

In a small town in a big county in a big state.

Quote Originally Posted by DeviFoxx View Post
    I hope that helps a little bit. Katakana's just as easy to memorize as Hiragana, I think.
    Unless you're me. Then learning it will take 4-5 years(and that's just to memorize one of them! ).
    Last edited by joshboyd1209; Apr 22, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Flash Cards help. That's how I began years ago. But what really helps most people I find is childhood songs or other mnemonic techniques.
    I never said flash cards didn't. But for him it obviously isn't procuring much in the way of results. People are different. Flash cards don't help everyone.

Good call on the singing techniques. I used to do that a lot too. Forgot about that for some reason.

Yeah. Nursery Rhymes are always a good way to go. The human brain's pretty good at remembering things especially when they're set to a melody or tune of some kind.

Ohh! Ohh!! Here's a better version of one of the videos I posted earlier. This one'll teach both Hiragana and Katakana at the same time.

Who knows, maybe someone'll sticky this somewhere in case somebody wants to learn to read basic Japanese.

In a small town in a big county in a big state.

Yeah. Nursery Rhymes are always a good way to go. The human brain's pretty good at remembering things especially when they're set to a melody or tune of some kind.

Ohh! Ohh!! Here's a better version of one of the videos I posted earlier. This one'll teach both Hiragana and Katakana at the same time.

YouTube - Complete Japanese Alphabet Song - Katakana - Hiragana - ???

Who knows, maybe someone'll sticky this somewhere in case somebody wants to learn to read basic Japanese.
    hmmm that one might actually work for me. However if I really need to translate something I'll probably just go to wikipedia they have some charts with all of the symbols and which sounds they make.

Anyway, I figured a quick update is in need to bring my tale up to speed.

Missed the sega conversion boat lol. By a few days. Again.

Edit: It seems a beacon has lit up that may beckon me through the fog that has since consumed my sight, so it seems my story is not over yet!

Next time on Coversion tales "The blade that beckons the dawn!" Expect a lot of fanservice next time too!
    (wait, what!?)

Quote Originally Posted by MESeele View Post
    Anyway, I figured a quick update is in need to bring my tale up to speed.

Missed the sega conversion boat lol. By a few days. Again.

Edit: It seems a beacon has lit up that may beckon me through the fog that has since consumed my sight, so it seems my story is not over yet!

Next time on Coversion tales "The blade that beckons the dawn!" Expect a lot of fanservice next time too!
    (wait, what!?)
    Throw your whole save file on mediafire and I'll do it for you.

Wow. This is unexpected. An extended lull, then multiple people generously offer.

I only just recently got a PM concerning it. I won't be so selfish as to make it into a competition though, so I will wait for them. I really appreciate your offering as well, but I won't be a dick to the person whom I just talked about it with. On the off chance it should fall apart, I'd only hope that your offer still stands, but I hope it doesn't come to that ;D . I hope you understand, I don't mean any ill by declining.