Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 Lobbies

Mill Lilly Harvester ARASHIKAGE's Avatar
    In arms reach of my Snow Queen at all times.

Default PSO2 Lobbies

I believe this topic was only barely addressed so I wanted to bring it up again.

The lobby system for MMOs is a dead concept and is very outdated. Will this system return based on familiarity to the series? Or would you rather have a different set up? (Open world concept has been covered)

Personally I want lobby chairs to return, who's with me!

I preferred the old PSO centralized lobby. It was a lot easier to find someone to play with or just go to the counter to find a game than it was wandering around PSU's dead lobbies and areas where it was impossible to find a game unless you were at White Beast.

I'd like lobbies, but I want them to be massive. To use an example of if they applied such a concept to classic PSO: Getting to explore all of Pioneer 2. Groups of mission counters and shops would serve as gathering points. Additionally, various hidden shops and NPCs that give you access to secret missions could be hidden in various locations, encouraging players to search around. I'm hesitant for full open world, though. IDK why. I can't really explain it.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Another "everyone hates PSU X; more PSO X and PSU's ideas should all die thread," right? @_@

Just one big lobby with the necessities and a couple stores and story NPC's is depressing to me, I want some virtual elbow room if this game is going to steal another 5 years of my life. Like, Sakai wants because he keeps saying "Revolutionized Re-Insert Action Into RPG a Whole New Look At Adventure!!" in engrish.

PSU had a lot of nice lobbies, and PSO had all the nice looking missions, just put two and two together, and make it all better. Less filler lobbies like PSU had...but NOT just 2 or 3 closet sized lobbies like PSO.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I can handle something as big as the guardians colony but for the love of God I don't want several planets worth of empty space again.

They could easily create a nice middle ground. Expand on the cities and add more things to do in them, add in some lounge areas (possibly) and more interactive areas that could include some mini games or something recreational. Keep the multiple lobbies style that PSU had, or call them "safe areas" or something.

Now here's how it all ties together: Have at least one counter in every lobby/city that can access the field for joining groups but make it so no matter what counter you access, it brings up all the groups playing on that server/universe/ship (whatever they call it in this one).

This could easily please everyone to some extent, and would allow the people who'd rather stay in one large area to do so and allow the people who enjoy a little bit of solitude when now killing the native their peace, but still allow them to meet up if they so choose without leaving their respective preferred places.

Edit: would probably be a good idea to have staging areas for "missions" again as well, and maybe add a "social lobby" option that would allow X amount of people to join in for thos who'd like to just sit and chat with people.
    Last edited by Justyn_Darkcrest; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
    PSO GC: Justyn FOmar lvl200
    PSU PC/PS2/Xbox 360:Aftermath (Returned to the shadows)
    "That which appears harmless can destroy mountains"

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    Another "everyone hates PSU X; more PSO X and PSU's ideas should all die thread," right? @_@
    OK you caught me Michaeru my PSO purist is showing, I want nothing that PSU has and everything PSO has. But then again, both games had lobbies so... what's my angle here?

Honestly I really like your idea Seth, I often wondered what it would be like to fully explore the Pioneer 2 in PSO. Lets just hope those hots spots are well spread through the area so we don't have a ghost ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Astra View Post
    I'd like lobbies, but I want them to be massive. To use an example of if they applied such a concept to classic PSO: Getting to explore all of Pioneer 2. Groups of mission counters and shops would serve as gathering points. Additionally, various hidden shops and NPCs that give you access to secret missions could be hidden in various locations, encouraging players to search around. I'm hesitant for full open world, though. IDK why. I can't really explain it.
    PSO GCN: Storm Shadow - RAmar - Retired
    PSU AOTI PC/PS2: Storm Shadow - Human Male PT - Retired
    PSZ: Hazatak Kid - RAmar - level 95

Retardacon \re-,tard-a-kan\ n 1 : retarded robot, humanoid, android, cyborg or cast as a : retarded decepticon b : cast from phanasty star found generally being retarded on these forums c : one who advocates cast supremacy 2 also see : cast supremacist

"arrgh such a retardacon"

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARASHIKAGE View Post
    OK you caught me Michaeru my PSO purist is showing, I want nothing that PSU has and everything PSO has. But then again, both games had lobbies so... what's my angle here?

Honestly I really like your idea Seth, I often wondered what it would be like to fully explore the Pioneer 2 in PSO. Lets just hope those hots spots are well spread through the area so we don't have a ghost ship.

Was more referencing that stupid thread about mags than you, BUT YOUR GUILTY CONSCIENCE IS SHOWING NOW! I hope you didn't only read that part though. I mean I kinda do that too, read the first redundant line of a paragraph and ignore it... It's sadly becoming easy in this section. @_@

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

In a small town in a big county in a big state.

Quote Originally Posted by ARASHIKAGE View Post

I have a better idea than putting them close together put them farely far apart and have you fight bat like creature every so often right inside the ship. e.g. you're walking along and all of a sudden you have to pull out a handgun and shoot down a few bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeru View Post
    Was more referencing that stupid thread about mags
    Oh now you have a problem with MAGs? (lol jk)

Yeah I read the rest of your post, you didn't offer a new idea so I didn't comment on it Michaeru. PSU planets weren't all bad though, but loading from one to the next was annoying. At least they tried to give us a "bigger universe feeling".

That teaser video clams PSO2 will define a new adventure in RPGs, what do you think this means? Same old lobby system isn't a new definition in RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by joshboyd1209 View Post
    I have a better idea than putting them close together put them farely far apart and have you fight bat like creature every so often right inside the ship. e.g. you're walking along and all of a sudden you have to pull out a handgun and shoot down a few bats.
    That's cool and all but imagine the lag issues that would ensue.And the people that just got back from quest would have low health sometimes, they wouldn't want to fight anything... and how you you die in the lobby? Where would you go? Or are you thinking this would be cool more like a mini game distraction?
    Last edited by ARASHIKAGE; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
    PSO GCN: Storm Shadow - RAmar - Retired
    PSU AOTI PC/PS2: Storm Shadow - Human Male PT - Retired
    PSZ: Hazatak Kid - RAmar - level 95

Retardacon \re-,tard-a-kan\ n 1 : retarded robot, humanoid, android, cyborg or cast as a : retarded decepticon b : cast from phanasty star found generally being retarded on these forums c : one who advocates cast supremacy 2 also see : cast supremacist

"arrgh such a retardacon"