Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast

Exclamation Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity English Translation Guide. ★ 100% FINAL [4/1/12]

======================================

Current Completion Rate Of The Guide: ★ 100%

======================================

Old Information from when the guide was still being written:
    Spoiler!

=======================================

LIST OF WHAT HAS BEEN COMPLETED THUS FAR :

Anything highlighted is what has been completed in the guide thus far:

Table of Contents
    • [Pg. 003] 1 : Forward & Version List
    • [Pg. 003] 2 : The Japanese Alphabet & Romanization
    [Pg. 003] • Overview & Explanation: How to Read Elementary Level Japanese
    [Pg. 004] • Notes on Pronunciation and how to Read
    [Pg. 006] • Hiragana Chart
    [Pg. 007] • Katakana Chart
    [Pg. 009] • Lower-Case Letters, Extended Voicing and the Letters “Tsu” [ つ / ツ ] and “Wo” [ を / ヲ ]
    • [Pg. 010] 3 : Changes from Phantasy Star Portable 2 to Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
    • [Pg. 011] 4 : Controls & Basic Gameplay Functions
    • [Pg. 015] 5 : Menu Translations In-Game: Options and Shopping Menus
    • [Pg. 027] 6 : Network & Lobby Functions
    • [Pg. 029] 7 : How to get Fullyen Curtz and Vasque’s Partner Cards
    • [Pg. 034] 8 : Story Mode Walkthrough
    • [Pg. 035] Prologue
    • [Pg. 040] Chapter 1: Act 1
    • [Pg. 051] Chapter 2: Act 1
    • [Pg. 060] Chapter 2: Act 2
    • [Pg. 069] Chapter 3: Act 1
    • [Pg. 076] Chapter 3: Act 2
    • [Pg. 084] Chapter 4: Act 1
    • [Pg. 098] Chapter 4: Act 2
    • [Pg. 104] Chapter 5: Act 1
    • [Pg. 112] Chapter 5: Act 2
    • [Pg. 117] Chapter 5: Act 3
    • [Pg. 118] Epilogue
    • [Pg. 128] Side-Story 1
    • [Pg. 135] Side-Story 2
    • [Pg. 149] 9 : Infinity Missions
    [Pg. 149] • What are Infinity Missions?
    [Pg. 150] • Synthesizing Missions
    [Pg. 151] • Need-to-Know Facts
    [Pg. 152] • Special Effects, Areas, and Bosses
    [Pg. 156] • Planetary Treasure
    [Pg. 157] • Monster Spawn / Drop Tables
    [Pg. 165] • How to Synthesize Missions Effectively and Efficiently
    • [Pg. 168] 10 : Glossary of Translated Names
    [Pg. 168] • Important Items: Inventory / Consumables
    [Pg. 170] • Photon Arts – Skills / Bullets / TECHNIC Disks
    [Pg. 173] • Type Abilities, Old & New
    [Pg. 184] • Weapons / Shields / Modules
    [Pg. 226] • Bestiary
    [Pg. 229] • Translated Names of Missions: Old & New
    [Pg. 229] • Free Missions
    [Pg. 230] • Extra Missions
    [Pg. 231] • Exchange Missions
    [Pg. 232] • Client Orders
    • [Pg. 234] 11 : Further reading on using Japanese
    [Pg. 234] • How to type in Japanese using the Soft Keyboard / How to use Lobby Actions & Animations
    [Pg. 235] • “If I want to learn Japanese, where are some good places to get started?”

---

=======================================

NOTICE:

DOWNLOAD HERE ==>> This is a portion of the guide available for download by clicking on this link <<== DOWNLOAD HERE

The guide will be done eventually, but I felt that this was most important for a lot of you, so I released this first. Don't worry, for the most part I don't need help in translating. I know that "certain people" are eager to try and help, though. I appreciate the concern, but I'm alright.

... Also.

Something important I would also like to note. In order to use this guide I'm writing effectively, and in order to print it out, (if you are running an older operating system like Windows XP) the computer you are accessing it from MUST have East Asian Language Support to be able to view and have the computer recognize the Japanese characters in it. Most of you already have this covered and don't need to worry, but those who don't, I'm letting you know now.

To Enable this on a Windows PC, you may go to START >> Control Panel >> Regional and Language Settings to add support for Japanese there.

Mac users shouldn't have to worry about this, though.

=======

Quoted for those who're still concerned about the English Patch that ColdBird is working in and keep asking me about it:

Quote Originally Posted by DeviFoxx View Post
    Originally Stated On April 23rd, 2012 - Allow me to clarify things once again:

I started my Infinity Translation Guide around June 15th, 2011. Infinity had been out in Japan since February 24th, 2011 and by the time I started working on the guide, it was more than evident that there would be no official English release due to Sega's track record.

During that time, people--mainly those on GameFAQs.com were still clamoring for an English Patch in spite of the fact that I was working on my guide.

Somewhere down the line around October, word of my guide had spread far enough to the point where Coldbird (Creator of the PRO CFW series of firmware, and fan of Phantasy Star) had found out about it and ultimately gave him inspiration for his next project.

After joining up on PSO-World, Coldbird began to spearhead the project for a Translation Patch (existing separately from my guide). Myself and others volunteered to aid in translating text dumps and scripts that Coldbird had directly lifted from the game's coding.

Everything for the most part was going fine.

Coldbird had (and presumably still has) big aspirations for the patch--one of the biggest being inserting Anti-Cheating Measures installed within the patch in an effort to keep Infinity from turning into USA / EUR Vanilla PSPo2.

But he then hit a snag.

He was designing the patch around the idea of it being used in conjunction with his PRO CFW. After I basically backed off from translating the script dumps so I could finally finish the guide (for you guys, mind you), after little over a month Coldbird eventually backed off from working on the patch in favor of other things having to take priority. Mainly working on his latest PRO CFW for PSP (and ultimately maximizing the effectiveness of the planned patch and all its new features).

Quite some time ago, to ease everyone's minds a bit, I went in Skype and spoke with Coldbird for a bit to confirm the fact that he was busy with other things at the moment. I also asked him if he'd make a brief appearance here on the forums to give everyone an update on the situation--which he did.

The translation patch has been on hiatus since roughly the end of October / Beginning of November of 2011.

I finished my translation GUIDE (Not the same as the patch.) somewhere around the end of March 2012, with the last update having been on April 1st 2012 on the basis that I don't like leaving my own projects unfinished, and I felt that Phantasy Star fans should have the game in English in at least SOME kind of form.

To this day, people still confuse my guide and Coldbird's patch to be the same thing, when they're not.

And the other thread, detailing the patch has pretty much derailed from its original topic, and is continually bumped by people who haven't been reading the past few pages, or people fresh off of GameFAQs or some-such looking for the patch that was never released--thus causing people to think that the patch is still currently being worked on.

At best, the patch only exists in the form of a Beta dump plugin that only a select few [myself included] have actually tested with only a minimal amount of things translated (like the character creation menu, that's about it). Plus, it's somewhat buggy in that it causes the game to freeze up every now and again.

Will ColdBird come back to finish the patch? There's a chance he will. He's a pretty nice guy.

From a realistic standpoint though, given the nature of patches for RPGs, a decent patch for Infinity that includes the story text and everything is still a long ways off. Months to a year. That's from my personal experience, though.
    Last edited by DeviFoxx; May 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Update

WHat makes you think they won't translate it to the US?
    Sega is just slow with their shit. And unlike SE is not burning in hell for being stupid. (A shame really, they need to be caressed by fire)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinMaruku View Post
    WHat makes you think they won't translate it to the US?
    Sega is just slow with their shit. And unlike SE is not burning in hell for being stupid. (A shame really, they need to be caressed by fire)
    Never said they flat-out wouldn't. I did say there's a decreased likelihood though. Sega's pretty focused on PSO2 and working with PS Vita at the moment. I don't think there's too much interest in them bringing Infinity to the West. Or if they do bring it, it probably won't be all the way until the end of this year.

There's a whole 'nother thread unrelated to this one debating whether or not they'll bring it to the West.

I just started this thread to be independent of that one. This thread is about a guide for the Japanese version that anyone can play right now. Not about a guide for a "possible" release in the West.

how difficult would it to be be to play this game if one only knows katakana?

Will the gist of those Planet Treasures also be explained in the Infinity Mission section?

That aside, the entire guide sounds chock full of meat and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    I reckon not too bad as you can make it out and keep sounding them out until you get it. That and you have backlog knowledge of how the game already plays (keep in mind button configurations change to "O" being the dominant button for confirmations and stuff).
    Last edited by IsaacGravity; Jun 16, 2011 at 09:10 PM.

I'm doing it just fine with zero knowledge of Japanese.

So long as ya do a list of abilities, then I'll be happy.
    Phantasy Star Portable Infinity:
    Bitzen
    Zo-E

95% of the names of Items / Shieldweaves / Modules (with the exception of Mirage Blasts, which are almost exclusively in Kanji) / Weapons in this game are displayed in Katakana. The other 5% are Hiragana, Kanji, and English.

80% of the Menues, and Options are in Hiragana & Kanji. 20% in Katakana.

70% of the Storyline Dialogue is in Hiragana & Kanji, with 30% in Katakana for names of people, places, and things.

95% of the names of Missions are in Kanji and Hiragana. But mostly Kanji. 5% in Katakana.

With that rundown, you'll be most proficient at knowing the names of Weapons / Items / People / Bosses / Monsters, if you just know Katakana.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacGravity View Post
    Will the gist of those Planet Treasures also be explained in the Infinity Mission section?
    Yes. Including names of Special Effects, and how to Synthesize Infinity Missions in order to get Planetary Treasures.
    Last edited by DeviFoxx; Jun 16, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitzen View Post
    So long as ya do a list of abilities, then I'll be happy.
    There's already a list of new abilities floating around

Hmm, maybe you can include some common phrases for online play for those who want to play with randoms?

But like I said before, this guide would be appreciated by a lot of people *gives you a cookie*

With a guide like this it will be easier for me to force...um persuade my friend to inport infinity.

I can't wait to carry your guide with me in my usb flash drive.

PSO2 D-Gold(Caseal) Reina (Duman) Ship 2