Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Token Gambit

Sure drop rates are all good and fine but some people have shit luck, so to cater to that obsessive part of the gear grab I say they should add in tokens that drop after a run done well so if you miss your drop and do enough content you can still get your stuff.

They should also tier the tokens, say you want a X weapon, you run y-set of areas and do well and get the tokens for that specific weapon/item and build up to that prize.

That better prioritizes area so some don't fall out of practice since people generally take the path of least resistance, so you must subtly guide them.

Whether or not that's a good idea is all up to how the game is constructed, and we don't know that much yet to really give a good opinion on this, I think.

True but if they are listening we can throw out some ideas and maybe if they make sense in the game's framework they will take root. Good to discuss things. That and I want to see how much gear fiends there really are.

Regardless of how the game's loot system works, some method of being able to attain decent items outside of sheer luck is definitely necessary.

I like how Aion does it - there's a large number of items that can be attained through sheer persistence with alternative currencies, i.e. the various coin denominations (silver, gold, platinum, mithril) with exclusive gear for each denomination, abyss point items for the PvPers, crucible tokens for the highest-end PvE gear, and the gear you can attain through daily and weekly tokens from the NPC factions.

Yeah, that's a LOT of different ways to get gear. And, of course, you still have the old-fashioned method of just running through dungeons and praying for the RNG to go your way.

It'd be nice if PSO2 had at least one alternative currency you could use to buy gear with.

Yet more "they should this, they should that".

We'll see if SEGA of Japan comes to read the Phantasy Star Online 2 section on PSOWorld.com when we get enough info/screens/videos and, of course, when the game comes out.

Apparently a lot of folks in here think they do that.

I do think some kind of system like that would be nice, Shin. We'll see.
    Last edited by Shinji Kazuya; Jul 12, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Regardless of how the game's loot system works, some method of being able to attain decent items outside of sheer luck is definitely necessary.
    Oh, definitely. After playing PSU for almost 5 years, and still having basically no good items, I can 100% agree that there should be ulterior ways to get high-tier stuff (without a cash shop).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinji Kazuya View Post
    Yet more "they should this, they should that".

We'll see if SEGA of Japan comes to read the Phantasy Star Online 2 section on PSOWorld.com when we get enough info/screens/videos and, of course, when the game comes out.

Apparently a lot of folks in here think they do that.
    People are allowed to speculate, or throw random ideas out there for others to discuss. Better than just sitting there like a spud and waiting for official info.

I do like the idea of a currency like that.

City of Heroes did something very similar to this with the 'merit system'. Basically you could buy any of the rare stuff that normally had extremely rare drop rates with a high amount of 'merit points' that were earned through tough mission.

More options and consistent and solid options are what's needed.

I doubt it'll happen. You running a mission over and over to find a drop with low rates = increased number of runs = more time subscribed to PSO2 = more money for Sega.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I doubt it'll happen. You running a mission over and over to find a drop with low rates = increased number of runs = more time subscribed to PSO2 = more money for Sega.
    Seriously, when ya think about this, it makes perfect sence.