Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I'm thinking of getting a PSP and possibly PSP1 and/or 2, but I need some advice!

Hey everyone, I've been playing the heck out of PS0 lately and since I unfortunately still don't have internet (except when visiting my parents) I was looking for a nice alternative. The thing is, I'm really lost when it comes to PSP as I've always been strictly a DS guy.

That said, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on which version of PSP would be the better deal these days? I notice there's an original, then a 1, 2 and 3 thousand version, a slim, a PSPgo (which I guess doesn't require physical discs...?), and also a PSP Core, which seems to be way more expensive and I'm not really sure why...

I'm mainly getting this exclusively for Phantasy star and honestly, I'm more interested in screen size (the bigger the better) than portability. I'd also like to be able to play online again once we finally get internet at our place, so please let me know which of these PSP versions is best for that (if it even makes a difference).

I was also wondering what your opinions were on PSP1 and 2. I've heard that PSP2 was way better and also has online play unlike the first. That being the case, is there any good reason to even get the first, should I get them both, or should I just go for the second?

Thanks a ton in advance for any info and sorry for the wall of text. Hope to be playing with some of you soon .
    Last edited by Seilan; Jul 28, 2011 at 05:27 AM.

PSP System:
    1000 and 2000 are easily hackable that allows you to use custom firmware easily. 1000 doesn't charge while online
    3000 is modern of the 3 but there was difficulty for using cfw. Screen size is more or less the same for all 3 models.
    Go is most difficult for using cfw and does not support discs. This can however be connected to the PS3 to enlarge the screen with the TV and using the PS3 controller

Game wise: 2 has more options and stuff. The battle system is more interactive as you can block and dodge attacks. Story mode can be replayed at various chapters.

All PSPs are very easy to put CFW on now, with the ability to dual boot. As for screen size, I've never played a go but it looked a little smaller than my 3000 in the store. Could've just been my impression though.

You can hook a 3000 to your TV as well if you have the component cables, but I'm pretty sure you need a CFW app to use a PS3 controller with it.

I wouldn't get PSP1 unless you're really into the PSU story line. PSP2 has superior gameplay and the story is fine as a stand alone.

I've owned all 3 original PSP's and I would say to go with a 3000 model. The Go never really got my attention tbh, I always prefer having discs over digital downloads, just a habit I guess and I absolutely hate the look of it, it's a glorifed mobile phone shaped like a PSP. :l

PSP-3000: Well, I love being able to play PSP2 (and Infinity) on my 42" TV, lol, which would go with your "bigger screen" want. The cables aren't expensive either, got mine for about £2.50. The PSP itself is very smooth and loads fast (esp when data is installed), I'm not too fond on the screen colouring, it's more vivid on the 3000 screen, but this option can be turned off, which is fine. This PSP is quite easy to find since it's one of the newer ones, local game store probably have them in stock for a decent price. One downside that you won't have to worry about but older games have scanline issues, games from before PSP3000 was out I think, you can check this at a later date by google, but it'll run PSP1 and 2 perfectly.

I too advise to skip PSP1, I imported it from Japan years ago when it was first out, must say, huge disappointment, it's just PSU lite with no proper online. PSP2 though, is honestly amazing, has free proper online, and yeah you get the picture. If you see a cheap copy of PSP1, I guess there's no harm to get it for the story. Otherwise, skip it for PSP2, the vastly superior game.

EDIT: I won't mention about CFW, it doesn't interest me much, so I wouldn't be the right one to speak to about it.
    Waiting for Phantasy Star Online 2.~

I say go for psp2 as well. Much better than portable 1, and if you need/want to know psp1's storyline, I think somoene has a playthrough of it or you might be able to find a summary somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pspfan36 View Post
    I say go for psp2 as well. Much better than portable 1, and if you need/want to know psp1's storyline, I think somoene has a playthrough of it or you might be able to find a summary somewhere.
    This is probably what you're looking for

The only reason you should get PSPo1 is because there is a title for importing that save over to PSPo2. But you can just as easily find a save file somewhere and import it all the same, since no weps or levels transfer over. But otherwise, go with PSPo2.

Quote Originally Posted by Scale of Judgment View Post
    PSP System:
    1000 and 2000 are easily hackable that allows you to use custom firmware easily. 1000 doesn't charge while online
    3000 is modern of the 3 but there was difficulty for using cfw. Screen size is more or less the same for all 3 models.
    Go is most difficult for using cfw and does not support discs. This can however be connected to the PS3 to enlarge the screen with the TV and using the PS3 controller

Game wise: 2 has more options and stuff. The battle system is more interactive as you can block and dodge attacks. Story mode can be replayed at various chapters.
    About connecting it to the PS3 for a larger screen on the TV doesn't that require the AV cord?
    Username: Blazingsonic
    PS0 Name: Sentai
    F/C: 4125-5095-5213
    F/C: 1892-2449-7676

Thanks everyone , looks like I'll probably be going with the 3000 and PSP2 then. I was curious about the custom firmware though - is it by chance similar to the special "Kard" for the DS, where you're able to download and play games unreleased in the US and stuff like that? If that's the case, I'd definitely want to get a version of the PSP that supports that.

I'm a little confused about the dual-booting though. Do you mean switching from the official operating system on the PSP to a custom one? And is that difficult to setup? I'm not interested in the hacking/cheating stuff personally, but it'd be great to play unreleased games that never made it to the states, if that's at all possible by using CFW.

Thanks again for the help everyone and sorry for the noob questions

I have a psp slim. The slim is alright..it has average space depending on wat memory card you use and how much space you have..so personally any psp would do as long it has enough space you should be fine.I just finish Phantasy star portable about 2 days ago i really enjoy it alot and 100% getting phantasy star portable 2 not just online that makes it great but they have more stuff then the original...the first game was phantasy star universe and i grew to like it even more when i play so yea its pretty worth playing..

Quote Originally Posted by Seilan View Post
    Thanks everyone , looks like I'll probably be going with the 3000 and PSP2 then. I was curious about the custom firmware though - is it by chance similar to the special "Kard" for the DS, where you're able to download and play games unreleased in the US and stuff like that? If that's the case, I'd definitely want to get a version of the PSP that supports that.

I'm a little confused about the dual-booting though. Do you mean switching from the official operating system on the PSP to a custom one? And is that difficult to setup? I'm not interested in the hacking/cheating stuff personally, but it'd be great to play unreleased games that never made it to the states, if that's at all possible by using CFW.

Thanks again for the help everyone and sorry for the noob questions
    CFW is something of sorts, it allows playing games from your computer monitor, accessing 'modified' games, and the like, but we can't get into too much detail about it as per the forum rules.

Also, if you do skip PSP1 you can use the save I have provided in this thread: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187961 and convert a character over to PSP2 for import bonuses such as a nice saber that will last you well into your 20's.