Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Concerns on Global Support

So, the announcement of separate world servers has been the most disappointing one that I have heard thus far as it sounds like a return to the status quo on the last seven years of PSO titles. And I would rather address it in a topic of its own.

I would like to hear what you think the announcement means for the future of the international releases of the game and perhaps find a more hopeful incite than my own.

But I will begin with my own prophecy of doom:

I suppose we are all quite aware of how the last game worked out - if I recall correctly, the Japanese version of PSU has two world severs for the PC/PS2 crowd. Then there was one server for the US/EU PC/PS2 crowd and one international server for the Xbox 360 crowd. Ignoring the semantics, I will just treat the world as an impassable server barrier created for various reasons (Microsoft licensing, language differences, or popularity).

Thus this announcement makes me think of a repeat of the PSU strategy, which ultimately fell apart due to mismanagement.

Yes, this essentially happened in all the PSO titles, but at least on Dreamcast and Game Cube I could go to a Japanese server, read a guide, and play through the quest I wanted to check out. So I would be happy to hear some form of assurance that I can at least do that again. And with the announcement of a world transfer as a future possibility, that does give some hope to free world transfer afterward.

Of course, it would be even more preferable to just have a guarantee that the international versions will be well managed, but there certainly is no need for such a press release before any other versions even have a release date.

That all said, I will definitely get both versions if they are all separated and jump ship depending on how well things go on either.

I have made up my mind already. If there won't be global support then I will playon the Japanese server. Easy as that.

The way I saw it was that while each region may have its own server, any client could connect to any server. So the American server could connect to the JP server without needing to have a separate version or an extra subscription. The only downside would be that characters are server bound.

If there's no way to play in different regions with our local release, I'd seriously consider just not getting the game myself, much to the dislike of my friends and such.

I'm not too fond of the importing crowd for PSO/U, and there's other games in the future that have caught my eye. Even still, this one is my most looked forward to. I just hope it doesn't end up in the same trap as the other PS games.

With that said I'm still leaning on that you'll be able to jump between the regions, but this latest thing makes it seem less likely.
    Last edited by Christmas; Jul 30, 2011 at 11:34 AM.

CREATING MY CHARACTER IN THE JAPANESE SERVER =D! Just for general purposes

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

While I can see some disappointment on the server thing but if the game is handled well each server will be large enough. Sure there was mismanagement in the past games but is this Sonic team making it, if it is then I'd be afraid if not, then I would not worry. Also if there is a sub or not, if there is no sub and the game is properly made and balanced you will not have a problem with people playing. If there is a fee then the global server would have been a better thing to hide the massive drop in population sure to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillan View Post
    So, the announcement of separate world servers has been the most disappointing one that I have heard thus far as it sounds like a return to the status quo on the last seven years of PSO titles. And I would rather address it in a topic of its own.
    I think you're getting the in-game "worlds" confused with regional servers. Picking which in-game server you'll be on doesn't have anything to do with where you play. In fact, it sounds like the game will have one version, and everyone will just pick whichever in-game server they want to play on, perhaps for ease of access to other people that speak their language.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I think you're getting the in-game "worlds" confused with regional servers. Picking which in-game server you'll be on doesn't have anything to do with where you play. In fact, it sounds like the game will have one version, and everyone will just pick whichever in-game server they want to play on, perhaps for ease of access to other people that speak their language.
    Yes, I suppose you are right. Mechanically, I see no difference between a "world" server and a "regional" server besides the language of the text files and the removal of the world selection option. That said, they could easily go with such a strategy where a world or two that everyone could opt into would have a set text file language, or even include multiple.

I just doubt it because of the way they have handled worlds and regions in the past.

Well if I remembered correctly PSO had all the languages on there for the language barrier problem. Well that's what the enclosed instructions booklet told me.

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

Quote Originally Posted by Pillan View Post
    Yes, I suppose you are right. Mechanically, I see no difference between a "world" server and a "regional" server besides the language of the text files and the removal of the world selection option. That said, they could easily go with such a strategy where a world or two that everyone could opt into would have a set text file language, or even include multiple.

I just doubt it because of the way they have handled worlds and regions in the past.
    I hope they have language options in the menu, at least. It's going to aggravating if they don't. If not, then it'll be "global servers", but in Japanese only.

Quote Originally Posted by Niloklives View Post
    booklets talk to you now?
    Come on. You know what he meant.