Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Honestly, the 360 has done far better in Japan than I expected them to. To say that the 360 is dead in Japan is not surprising. However, with the increasing marginalization of Japan as the driver of the videogame industry, I don't see this as necessarily a big problem. With the rise of the western development houses, the world market has been essentially "split" between East and West. Western consoles are no longer dependent upon Japanese games for their success, which forces Japanese game developers to either produce games for a more global scale or just be satisfied with the sales in Japan... and has already been said, their own console userbase is being devoured by the handheld market. The largest install userbase for Japanese hardware has been, and will continue to be increasingly from Europe and the US.

And in the US and EU, the Xbox 360 is the platform of choice, with the PS3 only trailing by about 10 million units. Out of the 50 Million global PS3 sales, only about 6.5 million of those come from Japan. Of the 55 million global 360 sales, only about 1.4 million come from Japan. Out of the roughly 87 million Wii units, only about 12 million of those sales come from Japan.

Japan needs the western market, not the other way around. So while I would expect a drop in the number of Japanese titles making it over on the 360, most of the titles we're going to be losing are the titles that would never have made it over here anyhow. They would be foolish to remove cross platform support for major releases, or even many of the more niche titles which are projected to sell well over here - such as Cathrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
    i have both PS3 and 360.
    i still preferred ps3 more over the 360 though.
    Honestly, I haven't seen a reason to buy a PS3 this generation. With the proliferation of multiplatform releases, the two platforms are nearly indistinguishable from a third party point of view. Myself, I've put more valuation on the MS exclusives than the PS3 exclusives. I do still want to get a PS3 for games like Valkyria Chronicles, but they're not worth the extra cost of buying a whole new platform.

Wii + PS3, or Wii + 360, is pretty much enough to cover anyone for this generation. This wasn't the case last generation where, if you wanted to get the maximum coverage of game access, you really needed to buy all four platforms.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Aug 19, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Long shory short?

JP don't Dig Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Honestly, I haven't seen a reason to buy a PS3 this generation. With the proliferation of multiplatform releases, the two platforms are nearly indistinguishable from a third party point of view. Myself, I've put more valuation on the MS exclusives than the PS3 exclusives. I do still want to get a PS3 for games like Valkyria Chronicles, but they're not worth the extra cost of buying a whole new platform.

Wii + PS3, or Wii + 360, is pretty much enough to cover anyone for this generation. This wasn't the case last generation where, if you wanted to get the maximum coverage of game access, you really needed to buy all four platforms.
    I have been preaching this for a while now. I had both a 360 and a PS3 at one point in time, I just preferred the PS3 and the 360 just sat there. Aside from a few differences they are essentially the same. Also, with both Microsoft and Sony losing 3rd party exlusives like they are (i.e. Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear) and Blu-Ray players becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day, it all really comes down to the subtle differences of the two consoles. Which controller is more comfortable to you? Do more of your friends you would like to play online with have option (A) or (B)? Do I take free PSN with a few less features, or pay for LIVE with more features? Call of Duty is Call of Duty, Madden is Madden, no matter which of the two you play it on.
    Images in signatures cannot exceed 35,000 bytes. The image in your signature was 87,626 bytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    -with both Microsoft and Sony losing 3rd party exlusives like they are (i.e. Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear) and Blu-Ray players becoming cheaper and cheaper by the day-
    Pretty much for this reason, I've started the move to PC. Starcraft 2, PSO2, Resident Evil Operation Racoon City and Metal Gear Rising on PC (not to mention the huge game base PC already has), there doesn't seem to be too much reason to go console this generation.

The one genre that consoles still have a monopoly on is single player action games. It'd be great to see more games like ninja gaiden, god of war and bayonetta on pc.

I wouldn't assume that there won't be anymore console exclusives as more often than not you'd find the bulk of certain genres on the consoles than the PC.