Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Sega's internal conflict and what it means.

I heard recently that A) SoJ isn't fond of the US branch due to how much better the genesis did compared to the mega drive and B) SoJ does various things to spite them, even if it backfires for everyone.

An example would be the sony scenario. I heard that Sega had a chance to work with Sony and that Sega of America was perfectly keen on the idea but SoJ refused. This proved to be a grievous error down the line.

Another much more damning thing I heard was that SoJ forces the US branch to focus advertising on the now rather maligned Sonic series and licensed games as opposed to other titles. I say this as Sonic games are made in japan... basically with the implication that Sonic games don't have as much effort put towards them just so they'd fail in the US and make SoA look bad.

Honestly a company at such a conflict with itself can't really stand up in this age.

Almost like a little kid. I'm guessing the request to forcefully shut down NA failed? This is the first time I heard anything like this. Then again i'm just a Nintendo person ಠ_ಠ.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    Almost like a little kid. I'm guessing the request to forcefully shut down NA failed? This is the first time I heard anything like this. Then again i'm just a Nintendo person ಠ_ಠ.
    Not sure what's going on now, just that this infighting was a cause of somethings and perhaps the matter of SoA being shut down may be related.

Nintendo and Sony while they might have differed from their japanese branches in some ways still work with them pretty well.

Ironic that Sega started out as an American company so I heard.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

It was started in America but moved to Japan in the early beginning. Before it became Sega I think.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

SEGA JP been pretty discriminatory towards all manner of Internet and anyone else playing their fighting games "If there's going to be lag, we'd rather not even put the game out", unless the recent reports are in fact true, with finally they eased up to let people play some 2+ years old now Virtua Fighter 5 Super Update. XBLAH / PSNogames though? Huge Download? and currently "This is for Australia region only!"

Press Release August 23, 2011

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO— 23rd August 2011—SEGA® of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that Virtua Fighter™ 5, the latest title in its celebrated fighting franchise, will see a grand update and expansion released as a standalone title for both Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.and PlayStation® Network. The new game, entitled Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, will contain a full overhaul of Virtua Fighter 5’s mechanics, balance and animations, along with new game modes, new dynamic fighting arenas, a massive collection of customisable character items and two all-new characters added to the roster. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is expected to be available in Summer 2012.

Good good, won't have to ninja it up and ask demonstratively in-person on what-why-how come not in the fighter game during this rebirth era, and bring up that nice one with the video 2010 ish there with the mimicing SFightey moves by Akira/Pai/etc.

>> LOUD WARNING <<

By JP Hypoh arcade emcee announcer and the "BLEEP" -ing of special move trademark name call outs.

-

So this can snowball and have them ease up hoarding the best of their own properties a bit for other regions, perhaps?

No ideas outta me for the Sonic time/budget rumor front priority over 'all other products.' Know better to speculate or get involved in that fandom, misinformation, red herrings, catching feelings, in everything past Yuji Naka's departure.
    Last edited by HAYABUSA-FMW-; Aug 23, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: priority other games vs Sonic games, part forgot put in there

particularly senseless still seeing how their biggest rival in 3d fighters, Namco is operating far better concerning both halves.

if not for SoJ's general ability not to suck in its own turf, I'd consider it a company likely to die/reced into obscurity just like Capcom.

I don't know about any current conflicts between various Sega branches, but if you want to see some crazy Sega development history, look up the story behind Sonic Xtreme for the Saturn. It's just downright painful to read.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by StriderTuna View Post
    particularly senseless still seeing how their biggest rival in 3d fighters, Namco is operating far better concerning both halves.

if not for SoJ's general ability not to suck in its own turf, I'd consider it a company likely to die/reced into obscurity just like Capcom.
    I'd agree with your last statement, if it wasn't for MARVAL BAYBEE, Monster Hunter, and Skeet Fighter keeping them aloft anymore.

This seems to be the Japanese way of being xenophobic with anything outside of their country. It's gonna hurt them a lot if they keep it up.

So they still remember that? And i thought they were brain dead... *Remembers the 32X and Sega CD and shudders a bit*