Default Been quite a while

Its been some 3 years since I posted art here! My how time flies when you're in college! Anyways, I'm posting here because I'm sure there is one or two random people who are always interested in watching people improve and LORD KNOWS that I needed SERIOUS improvement over the years. But that's how stuff like art works isn't it? Unless you're a genius, you have to improve. I like to think I've made progress with my completely secondary skill of art (hell it might be a third tier skill if you know what I mean).

But anyways, onto the pieces drawn over the extent of a few summer days. Both of these pieces are inspired by the upcoming time/money sink PSO2

This first one is of a nameless character in just a random pose and place, sitting against a tree. Plenty of flaws but I'm ok with that. Also the actual hand drawn picture is significantly darker than this is, stupid scanners.
    Spoiler!

Second picture is of a PSO2ified (?) myself and my girlfriend. Again, the flaws are there, we must simply learn from them.
    Spoiler!

Hmm, upon looking over the uploaded images I probably shouldn't have scaled them down quite as heavily as I did. Blah.

Hi Dre_O! Remember me?

I will tell you this first off the bat. The improvement from these images and the last time we've met is remarkable. Very huge props on that step moving forward. Now moving forward its going to be the on going struggle of body form masteries and shapes and whatnot. Fine-tweaking if you will. The second picture doesn't have "too many" deal breaking flaws. Like i said, fine-tuning the bodies, shapes and whatnot.

The first one however has the major flaw of her left leg (us looking at her legs). It gets lost behind her arm. Legs generally are larger than arms, with much more muscles, meat and fat encasing the whole leg in general. Even at an angle like that with the knee bent all the way to her chest, you'll be able to see alot of the leg, thigh and whatnot.

I think taking a moment to observe how the crotch area with legs connect together it'll help you see how that kind of positioning works. It'll really help push the power of the image.

Also Scanner problems are always beaten by the power of Photoshop LEVELS.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

I think I remember your name, though in all those years I probably forgot what your drawings used to look like.

And to relief you: There is no such thing as 'Genius' most good artists have simply mastered the basics and have drawn a LOT! You only get better by putting in enormous amounts of time. Most art students have to draw at least 8-16 hours each day for a couple of years. Thats a lot more than amateurs like us do, no wonder they are better.

Another thing you need to get better is learning the basics. With basics I mean perspective. Start with perspective as soon as you can. I think I've started way to late and it is now a bit harder to learn. But don't think you can ' just' learn it. Perspective requires quite a bit of understanding and it's just boring math. I've got a good book called ' Perspective for comic book artists' which gives real good explanation about it, though it's still hard.

The problem of not knowing perspective, is that you start guessing and guessing is both time consuming and tiring and the result is almost always 'wrong'.

Right now I am still not very good at doing perspective, but it already does help me draw environments and poses I couldn't do before.

Hey, I totally remember you! It has indeed been quite a while. It's cool to see that you're still drawing—and that you've improved pretty dramatically. There're always things that could be tweaked no matter who you are or what type of art you make, so don't feel bad about flaws. Nothing is ever really finished, after all. You just get to a point where you're comfortable abandoning it. (Who said that? Somebody, anyway.)

Anyway, keep it up yo!

Ahh yes, actually checking back in on this thread would be smart huh? Good old busy world!

Anyways, thanks for the words everyone, good to know there are still people around from the old days! I'll *attempt* to continue drawing through the school year, but work load will tell the tale of the art.