Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think of Convertibles? (type of car)

I just love the Mazda Miata and Chrysler Sebring and Chrysler Plymouth Prowler (no longer in production, sadly).

Do you like them?
    And if so, which is your favorite? Which is least favorite?

Pics so no one has to try remembering what they look like.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UUz2fxCekM...eriour%2B4.jpg
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....superlight.jpg

http://chrysler2011-research.info/im...vertible-1.jpg

http://www.cardesignfocus.info/image...%20%281%29.jpg
    Triton. At your service.

I love me some fast cars, some Convertibles are cool like that Chrydler 2011. But I'm really picky about the car I wanna drive. It has to be sporty and probably 2 door ish.

This is a pic of the same car as mines right now except mines have the black racing stripes. These are the kinda cars I like. Wouldn't mine having a 3000gt or an eclispe either.

Last edited by Delete; Dec 11, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

I'm glad that I can just buy a small shitbox car and put in Twin Supercharges and make the modifications I need without taking it to some expensive garage and turning a shitbox into a car that can outrun cop cars.

Of course I am a fan of mini-vans because they help a lot in carrying large loads of things and I like being raised above the road as well. When you get in a small car you are quit low, near road-level and im not used to that anymore. I like a raised height to see the road clearer.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

We got one.

And honestly, I'm not really a fan of convertibles, at least from my experience with this one. It's drafty, hard to heat properly in the winter, has occasional issues with the mechanism to raise the top, and the roof takes a lot of maintenance to keep from splitting due to it's age. We had to get it replaced a few years ago when it split in the middle of winter and the back window started falling out - letting moisture in to the upholstery. We need a proper place to store it in the winter, but the garage is already full.

Oh, and speaking of winter, it's nigh undriveable for half the year and if you have to take it out - the convertible top doesn't inspire confidence of my safety in the case of a rollover or accident.

Naw, for me, I'll take luxury over speed any day.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Dec 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

That car looks beast!

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

I never saw the point in fast cars, honestly. It just makes you pay more for insurance. On top of that, it's not like you can actually utilize the speed in one without, you know, getting pulled over by the police on most occasions.

As for convertibles, I'd rather not, simply because that's just one more thing to worry about breaking or screwing up. That, and I don't enjoy the wind whistling in my ears.

I'm happy with my piece-o-shit '94 Taurus, just because it runs fine. Looks a mess (I've never even washed it in the three years I've had it; never saw a point), but it's reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    I never saw the point in fast cars, honestly. It just makes you pay more for insurance. On top of that, it's not like you can actually utilize the speed in one without, you know, getting pulled over by the police on most occasions.
    Speed isn't really the point, it's the acceleration. In hilly terrain like I live in, you don't have very much room to pass before you're coming up on the crest of a hill where you can't see what's coming at you in the other lane. It also comes in handy in big cities when you're coming off a 35mph exit ramp and need to get your shit in gear to secure a place in traffic that's already moving at 70+mph. Then again... that's also why it's tough to drive in the winter. You have to be very delicate with the accelerator to keep from popping your back tires loose and start fishtailing.

Also, cops aren't really much of an issue out where I live. You see far more DNR officers out here, and I've never had one of them pull me over. The state road along my stretch is mid-way between any decent towns that can spare traffic cops, and the the closest one that does only has one on the day-shift who flat out does not give a fuck. State boys are pretty scarce too until you start getting close to Huntington. It's a pretty fun road to drive along too. Very hilly and curvy, so your only real speeding issues will be inside tight curves and crossing the center line.

Not that I did that kind of thing for fun, but at the time I was habitually late getting to work. I just had fun while I was at it.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Dec 12, 2011 at 01:10 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    My Camaro is a lot faster than people realize and I do a lot of racing or ummm....driving really fast. My insurance is surprisingly low (roughly around a hundred bucks,just dropped from 150ish). If that still seems pricey, it's because I'm only 21 years old. And cops aren't really a problem....for the most part I know where they're gonna be 90% of the time. And if I do see one, I brake before they have time to see how fast I'm going.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

I've never been a fan of convertibles. They're impractical, noisy, and look ridiculous unless they are a hard-top or have the roof down.

On fast cars: They're fun. End of story. Different strokes for different folks, but plowing down the NJ turnpike at 130mph is pretty exhilarating.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    I've never been a fan of convertibles. They're impractical, noisy, and look ridiculous unless they are a hard-top or have the roof down.

On fast cars: They're fun. End of story. Different strokes for different folks, but plowing down the NJ turnpike at 130mph is pretty exhilarating.
    Doing anything to get out of New Jersey as quickly as possible is exhilarating.

More on topic: I've never ridden in a convertible, but damn it all if it doesn't look like a ton of fun. Who wants to give me a ride?