Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Arrow PSO2 Community Chat

All of these links are dead at this point so I'll delete the OP.

My apologies.
    Last edited by AzureAsh; May 17, 2021 at 06:30 PM.

Myeah like I said; Skype will probably be less effective as more people start joining the group. So a program tailored to handling bigger groups will probably be best. I say Ventrilo because that's the most likely thing people will have, but I'm sure there's good alternatives as well so.

For regular chat, IRC seems pretty good as long as people don't have to download clients or register and so on.

I'm basically in agreement with Mitz, though I don't think skype would be too bad.
    私の愛、私の夢、私の心。

the iirc thing sounds like it would be pretty nice for setting up parties but not as much for joining them.

on voice chat, i dont use it much myself anymore but it really depends on how many people will be using it, if its say.... a party, skype works great but when you hit the 3 party limit of those certain areas, it would likely get a bit... messy.

but im not sure how a vent server would be handled either though, is it just going to have like... several sub channels for separate parties or..?

Quote Originally Posted by Macras View Post
    but im not sure how a vent server would be handled either though, is it just going to have like... several sub channels for separate parties or..?
    That can easily be done.

IRC will be set up later today and we'll be doing a test run of it instead of the Skype client if everything works out. If it doesn't, it'll be delayed.

In this period, we'll be using this as our main style of chat. I'll probably set a couple of trusted people as ops to make sure that everything runs well.

An IRC is probably the best idea.

I know a great many people who do not like Microphones/headsets at all (I'm not a fan of them myself), so TeamSpeak/Ventrillo would be a hassle for some people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not a fan of Voice Chat. Plus, with many people in the Alpha, it could get way too crowded.

An IRC, however, would be perfect. Could log on whenever you want and chat. Skype groups are huge hassles because when you have a huge group, and notifications on, you hear the "New Message" notification literally every second. I was in a group of about 20 people and it drove me to leave the group even though I had no problem with the group themselves. I wanted to keep the notifications on for everyone else, but that specific group, when using the chat, would drive you insane with the constant bloops. IRC has no sound unless you turn it on (Or none at all). Would be the best idea.

Anyone who wants to voice chat could easily make a temporary group conversation on Skype and voice chat that way, plus they might only want their group, and in a Skype group you cannot do that. Ventrillo and TeamSpeak have user limits last I checked as well.

the user limits thing wont be as much of an issue if we get an approximation of how many players would actually use it though, like say we get a confirmed 50 people would use it, we could see about getting one near that number so as to be able to facilitate the people who would use it and possibly a bit extra just in case someone decides to start using it later on

Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Myeah like I said; Skype will probably be less effective as more people start joining the group. So a program tailored to handling bigger groups will probably be best. I say Ventrilo because that's the most likely thing people will have, but I'm sure there's good alternatives as well so.

For regular chat, IRC seems pretty good as long as people don't have to download clients or register and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polantaris View Post
    An IRC is probably the best idea.

I know a great many people who do not like Microphones/headsets at all (I'm not a fan of them myself), so TeamSpeak/Ventrillo would be a hassle for some people. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's not a fan of Voice Chat. Plus, with many people in the Alpha, it could get way too crowded.

An IRC, however, would be perfect. Could log on whenever you want and chat. Skype groups are huge hassles because when you have a huge group, and notifications on, you hear the "New Message" notification literally every second. I was in a group of about 20 people and it drove me to leave the group even though I had no problem with the group themselves. I wanted to keep the notifications on for everyone else, but that specific group, when using the chat, would drive you insane with the constant bloops. IRC has no sound unless you turn it on (Or none at all). Would be the best idea.

Anyone who wants to voice chat could easily make a temporary group conversation on Skype and voice chat that way, plus they might only want their group, and in a Skype group you cannot do that. Ventrillo and TeamSpeak have user limits last I checked as well.
    While having a voice chat server would be a nice idea, I would suggest using ts3 as opposed to vent.
    My last experiences of vent were rather terrible; it had poor security features and simply didn't really benefit for those who didn't want to use voice.
    Ts3 has that option of either talking or im chatting... It would benefit everyone in the end.
    If not, IRC is just fine.
    Just don't use vent...

I'm down with IRC.

Let's get this started.