Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Default PSO2 Alpha Test General Discussion Thread

Now that we've all had our healthy 8 hours of fun, I figured we make a thread where we get to talk about it.

Caveat: I didn't get to play Alpha 1. I went from PSO to PSU to PSP2(i) to this.

Needless to say, I am BLOWN AWAY by what Sakai has done. This game is only in its Alpha state and the amount of polish this game has is amazing. The game felt like the perfect fusion between PSO and PSU - you get that sense of familiarity yet at the same time it feels like a completely new game.

The game looks pretty good - nothing in terms of Crysis level, but the graphics look clean, crisp, and modern. It doesn't feel like it was ported from an outdated console *COUGH*PSU*COUGH*. Really feels like a full blown Windows game. Sega did an excellent job in keeping the game feeling like a PC game, yet incorporating enough elements into the UI to be friendly towards controller players.

Game loads reasonably fast. I'd imagine if you threw it on an SSD the stuttering you get from Camp Ship to the Field would be eliminated.

GameGuard so far hasn't stabbed me in the butt yet, but I've had it error out on me a few times - my antivirus wouldn't let it run (hah) and it REFUSES to let me use Steam with it.

But the gameplay is incredible. I only got to play a Hunter but this is basically my dream come true. I wanted a game that had an involved combat system that was along the lines of Devil May Cry 3/4. The ability to knock stuff up, juggle stuff, switch PAs on the fly and even midair dash is just... man it's just freaking AMAZING. I just wish our controllers worked - combat is kinda clunky on a keyboard (the game is still a console game at its roots). But Sakai has the right idea with the combat. It really feels like PSO's and PSU's combat taken to the next level. You can *cancel the ending frames of an attack with any move*. So you can do a PA, then if you think you're going to get hit, interrupt it either with a jump (to get out of the way) or a dash to move quickly while staying grounded.

A friend of mine got to try RA and he was impressed too. I personally didn't because I was having too much fun with Hunter. He likes the fact that guns have a "secondary" sort of trigger and he loves the TPS mode. He also likes the freedom of movement he has with the RA's dodge roll.

Nobody I know tried Force. Forces always semed to get the short end of the stick in the PS series, but if anyone has experience with one, feel free to chime in.

All in all, I already know what the next MMO I'm gonna play. I hope this lasts years to come!
    Last edited by BahnKnakyu; Jan 27, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

Having played the first alpha, I think the second is, in general, an improvement. I do wish the HP and PP bars were back on top though.

I tried Force and had fun. Would get instantly killed by traps and 1-2 shot by enemies, but it was fun nonetheless.

Why Do I Still Post Here? BahnKnakyu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Having played the first alpha, I think the second is, in general, an improvement. I do wish the HP and PP bars were back on top though.
    Yeah, I hope they move some stuff around for the UI. I'd like the party info to be near the top and maybe a little smaller (maybe even give direct numbers?). There's lots of little things that I think need to be addressed, but overall the general gameplay feels rock solid.
    * 98% of people like to put character progress in their signatures. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

Played as a Force, it was fun, I like how techniques can be charged, or comboing techs in the middle of normal attacks.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

i tried both hunter and ranger and i enjoyed it hope the ranger can get to use shotgun or dual gun in the beta

Only got to play for 2 hours but really enjoyed it, coming from PSU and PSZ it is a HUGE improvement.

I didn't find playing as a RA at low level very exciting to be honest, with everyone else spinning around doing schweet combos and casting techs around me and whatnot... But then I had the opposite problem, because my controller does work and I probably would've been better off with the keyboard and mouse. I'm sure at higher levels it will be more to my liking, I'm usually a heavily support orientated player rather than a damage dealer.

On a final note, Bahn! Didn't know you'd been on today, we need to partay up sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    I'm sure at higher levels it will be more to my liking, I'm usually a heavily support orientated player rather than a damage dealer.
    Once you get some of the debuff bullet skills skills, you'll probably find something you like.

Only played Ranger, and I still really enjoyed it.

I think some of us will wait until we played more and all classes, at least for me. Only played Hunter.