Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Quote Originally Posted by Jinketsu View Post
    ...American is not a language.

Chinese and japanese are not similar in any respect, though knowing one would certainly help in understanding the idea of the other when trying to learn, I would think. I'm pretty sure that's what he was implying.

Don't be so closed minded
    most but not all of the chinese characters have the exact same definition as kanji (chinese characters in japanese).

on a more interesting note, it seems like more advanced vocabulary tends to be the same in both chinese and japanese (like the term philosophy), but basic stuff like fast, pretty, slow, etc, tends to be more different.

biggest difference would definitely be pronunciation for the most part. sometimes they sound similar but at other times yeah they're completely different.
    Last edited by soulpimpwizzurd; May 4, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinketsu View Post
    ...American is not a language.

Chinese and japanese are not similar in any respect, though knowing one would certainly help in understanding the idea of the other when trying to learn, I would think. I'm pretty sure that's what he was implying.

Don't be so closed minded
    Well, if you're going to be specific, Mexican isn't a language either I can't count the number of times my hispanic friends back in middle/high school would get pissed if we called Spanish "Mexican" heh.

Anyway, to emphasis on the bolded aspect someone already stated this but Kanji from Japanese is more or less derived from its Chinese origins. Now, this doesn't mean that all the words match up--because they certainly do not. However chiyonictrilostick was not quite right when he said they weren't similar at all. If you know Kanji either in the form of Chinese or Japanese, chances are you're probably going at least understand *some* of the context for the other.

I guess, ironically--what I'm trying to say is, if you were an English speaker trying to learn Spanish in school, you're going to find similarities because the languages are somewhat similar. Sure you're not going to ace it over night, but you're going to pick up some words immediately because of it. In that sense, you could compare Japanese and Chinese kanji in that same manner. Of course, we're not talking Romaji here so I can't really compare script/symbols to alphabets; but I think you can understand my tangent.