Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm not sure what is with the whole hate of this game in regards to it being a SSB clone.
    You guys /do/ realize that there are many games of said nature in existence, right?
    There are a lot of Japanese games out there featuring crossovers of anime characters that play SSB style.
    But of course, if Sony does it, it's blasphemy..?

In any case, we can bet that SackBoy will be a confirmed character.
    There /should/ be a Legend of the Dragoon character.
    Maybe a Legend of Legaia (although this game wasn't as popular as the above).

For me, it just seems like the classic "We can do this too" but it is successful, so I can't blame them. Would be funny to try to own the game with Fat Princess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    For me, it just seems like the classic "We can do this too" but it is successful, so I can't blame them. Would be funny to try to own the game with Fat Princess, though.
    In that perspective, that's like comparing Forza Motor Sports to Gran Turismo.

They should really use Crash Bandicoot as one of the characters. Not a big fan of the games but Crash was a big deal back when he first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
    They should really use Crash Bandicoot as one of the characters. Not a big fan of the games but Crash was a big deal back when he first came out.
    The thing is though, could they use Crash and Nathan Drake when both are from Naughty Dog?
    I know ND is a Playstation-only company but who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ryuki- View Post
    I'm not sure what is with the whole hate of this game in regards to it being a SSB clone.
    You guys /do/ realize that there are many games of said nature in existence, right?
    There are a lot of Japanese games out there featuring crossovers of anime characters that play SSB style.
    But of course, if Sony does it, it's blasphemy..?
    I think you're focusing on the wrong issue.

Yes, Sony at large has a habit of doing the me-too thing and then falsely calling it "innovation," but, at least for me, that's not really the point in this case.

...It just doesn't look like a very good game. That is, I wouldn't have a problem with it if they managed to make something better or at least on-par with Smash, but judging by quality trends with Sony, it'll likely be a cheap knock-off that relies on IP popularity above all else to actually move copies.

Lots of people would still buy Smash if it were an original IP and not a massive Nintendo crossover - it may catch their eyes due to the massive amalgamation of characters, but people stay because of the very high quality bar that HAL/Project Sora maintain on the series.

Granted, I haven't played this thing yet (and don't personally plan on it, unless someone I know gets it and lets me try it or something), so I can't say for certain... I'm just not very impressed with what I'm seeing and hearing thus far. That seems like a pretty fair way of looking at it, really.
    It should be noted that people don't give Forza crap for knocking-off Gran Turismo because... Well, people think it's actually a better game, overall.

Like I said before, if they can beat Smash and make a better game, that would be fantastic. It's just a combination of unlikely and falling a little too far short will end up causing the game to bomb in the general opinion of things - and just imagine if it turns out to be terrible.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Isn't Colonel Radec the name of a character in Dark Reign: The Future of War for PC way back in 1996?

It is. Time will only tell if this game attempts to differentiate itself as much as Forza did. Though to be fair Forza following Gran Turismo only did this for the console scene, whereas Smash Brothers kind of invented a new kind of brawler that previously wasn't PC territory, which oddly enough Microsoft Game Studios was a part of. Forza, from a publishers point of view, was more of a redip into the Car enthusiast corner but on the consoles. Gran Turismo proved that a Car enthusiast (non-arcade) game could actually sell on the consoles most notably by its impressive graphic showcase of what a PS1 could accomplish, particularly on replays.

Still, I'm not knocking it. Just noticing that this seems, like the Move, an attempt to simply try to have their own "Nintendo-esque" stuff. And if that stuff happens to be successful, I can't really blame them. It's kind of part of the industry that lasted for years.

Back in the day when the Atari 2600 had the ill-fated Pacman port, the Magnavox Odyssey 2 got the superior K.C. Munchkin. Yes, it was a definite "Me too" thing which seemed like it would be a breakaway success for Atari's competition but they got sued hard by Atari. Atari had more grips on the Pacman license and anything like it than laws would allow today. Plus, Atari wanted Pacman to be the K.O. punch for all other competing platforms. Still, it wasn't Pacman, and didn't play exactly like it either. It was a nice alternative which even came with a built-in board editor, randomized maze mode, and a load of pre-built mazes.

So sometimes one, if they take the popular idea, and then expand on it, can technically still innovate within the new sub-genre that inspired them.

So for me, I'd be more interested in how Sony plans to add a twist or perhaps expand on the idea of the license, given they have a fun and well working control and combat model. Alas. Sony hasn't exactly been a good example of that. Normally, every attempt ends up being an attempt to copy but not as good as the original. Alas I still want to give them the benefit of the doubt of a good try. I still think that they'll surprise me one day. But I wont give an opinion on it I actually see what it is about. The initial aspect may have irked me a little, but that's just a lighter version of the feeling I get when someone mentions Uwe Boll was given another game license for a movie. Past examples. However, I still give Sony far more credit to do a good work as they have far less prior examples than the movie director, and that the games weren't that substantially worse.

A Historical Note: Magnavox tried to come back with a sequel to K.C. Munchkin that had a very different playstyle which didn't prove popular enough to help the company that actually took a savage loss with the Pacman case. Chasing down the tail of a centepede simply to finish a maze was not aas intriguing as dealing with ghosts while trying to chase down (or head off at the pass) the last dots that were running around the board.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; May 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

This game would be less awkward to bring up in terms of asking if someone wants to play if they just named Sony Battlestation.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    Well they invented it.

What if you made ghostbusters 2.

And a bunch of people ran in out of nowhere making demonbusters 2, and it's the exact same movie with different actors and they call the ghosts demons?

THAT'D SUCK, AND CREATORS ARE LIKE "LOLWHAT? OKAY" and fans are PISSED!
    That's a terrible example and you know it.