Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by washuguy View Post
    Right, but the thing is, farmers don't get funded or supported as much as say, Mcdonanlds or other fast food giants that help people dig a grave with their teeth.
    Oh ok. The American farming industry is one of the most government-subsidized industries in the nation. Some farmers even get paid to NOT grow crops, so that the prices don't fall.
    (Dead server) :: Angra Mainyu : Ahura Mazda : Arbalest : Fischerspooner :: PSUpedia & Forums

Battle Maiden of Ragol Lady Nadia's Avatar

people lining up to get free mc donalds or other fast food leftovers on a daily basis.... ppl be dead from eating this crap within a year lol reminds me of that movie Supersize Me i think it was called. there wuld have to be standards as to what places were allowed to give out free leftovers lol, free fast food is just scary.
    Last edited by Lady Nadia; May 11, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
    Ep3 - Nadia 381 Hunewearl, W-4782 L-191, King 32.
    Ep1&2 - Rika 200 Hunewearl, Sophia 200 Racaseal.
    BB - Nei Chan 200 Hunewearl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nadia View Post
    this is sad to see. but thats the way these businesses are. theyre hardheaded n theyd rather throw all that food away instead of give it away for free. money money money .. only thing businesses care about.
    When i was young and we'd go to the pantry, they always had Rocky Rococo pizza that wasn't even a day old, the company felt that the finished pizza couldn't stay under the heat lamps more then 15 minutes before disposing of them, but unlike ALL the other restaurants and most of the grocery stores in the area (who often threw their stuff out in locked and sealed compactors), they donated all this perfectly good pizza to the poor+^_^+ i do not miss those days but when i go out to get pizza you know which chain I'm buying from+^_^+ the stuff in this video has been happening ALL along, it's just that the upper 1% the middle class to look away and the middle class don't care so as long as they have their fancy big black SUV in the garage+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nadia View Post
    people lining up to get free mc donalds or other fast food leftovers on a daily basis.... ppl be dead from eating this crap within a year lol reminds me of that movie Supersize Me i think it was called. there wuld have to be standards as to what places were allowed to give out free leftovers lol, free fast food is just scary.
    better to be dying in a year then to starve to death in 2 weeks+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    What then may I ask is their reason for throwing away food? A businesses primary objective is to generate revenue, and you don't do that by discarding perfectly good product. I suppose this habit is a spiteful 'fuck you' to the planet just for kicks. If businesses are throwing away food that could pad their profit margin, there must be a good reason for it. Again, safety and regulations.

The danger of expired food isn't an excuse. It's a fact of life, and grim one at that in regions of the world where the don't enjoy the luxury of health and safety standards. Are you seriously trying to claim that because something looks fine, it is? E. Coli and Salmonella don't come with flashing lights and noise makers. The reason we have expiration dates is precisely because tainted food can appear fine. Our best method of avoiding pathogens is to date food and dispose of it after the risk of contamination becomes too high.

Judging from the number of topics like this, you seem to be taken in quite easily by this type of propaganda. It's an oversimplified and dangerous way to look at the world. Systemic world problems are complex, and can't be fixed with one-size-fits-all grassroots campaigns. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and blindly leaping to activism without any understanding of the issue as a whole will cause more problems than it fixes. These issues need to be carefully examined with long term consequences in mind, not a quick-draw solution.
    back at the turn of the 20th century, there were few laws concerning food quality and safety. a sausage from then was often made with room temp meat that was stored in a back room, they'd scoop it up, sometimes with LIVING rats and vermin in it, and make sausage to sell. remember the Chinese antifreeze in toothpaste thing a few years back? well people died and the government stepped in. a lot of this food has to be thrown away or sold in a given time by law, especially fresh food and freshly cooked food. if there's any chance of it spoiling and making people sick within a certain amount of time it can't be sold legally after expiration. KFC for instance, after the chicken comes out of the pressure fryer it's only allowed to stay under the heat lamps for 20 minutes (though i think I've bought chicken 40 minutes old) and then it's waste. well like a pendulum it's now the opposite, if so much as someone gets a burn from a cup of coffee suddenly there's a law suit for millions.+^_^+ the United States and all the companies it has are pig headed idiots+^_^+
    to answer your question, the companies don't take any chances of risking lawsuits and such so they often dispose of perfectly good food that isn't even expired yet just to maintain their good standing with the customers, they make more money this way or they wouldn't be doing it. trust me if they could get away with it, they'd sell snake oil as a cure all again+^_^+
    Last edited by Chik'Tikka; May 17, 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    if so much as someone gets a burn from a cup of coffee suddenly there's a law suit for millions.+^_^+ the United States and all the companies it has are pig headed idiots+^_^+
    someone gets a burn from a cup of coffee suddenly there's a law suit for millions.
    a burn from a cup of coffee
    I understand your sentiment here, but by "A burn", what you're actually talking about are third degree burns over 6% of her body (1st and 2nd over 20%) which required skin grafting and a week of hospitalization, not to mention two years of follow-up treatments. The original suit was only for $20,000, of which McDonalds rejected and it only became "millions" after she was stonewalled in mediation. The "millions" awarded by the jury was an attempt to punish McDonalds, but that was ultimately reduced to about half a million. Liebeck and McDonalds eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed amount... though obviously less than half a million.

Look at these. These are Mrs. Liebeck's legs. Look at them. This is not frivolous.

Sorry, it's off topic, but I had to say something on this. The "hot coffee" example is so often used to prop up a sentiment or a point about frivolous lawsuits, and it just keeps getting passed around as if it's true. It's not. It's bullshit. The vast majority of "absurd" court cases you hear about are similarly bullshit stories fabricated out of legitimate cases.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; May 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Spoiler!

even more off topic, how does one burn ones thighs with a cup of coffee? that part of your body is no where near the coffee entering orifice at all... +^_^+ either way, so as long as you understand my point that it's the few that make it worse for the whole+^_^+

even more off topic, how does one burn ones thighs with a cup of coffee? that part of your body is no where near the coffee entering orifice at all... +^_^+
    The vehicle was parked and she had it between her legs while attempting to remove the lid so she could add cream and sugar. The picture also didn't show the vicious burns to her buttocks and girly parts... since the coffee ran down the vinyl seats and pooled around her sensitive areas.

She had to forfeit 20% of the awarded settlement since the jury found her 20% at fault.

either way, so as long as you understand my point that it's the few that make it worse for the whole+^_^+
    Yes, so long as you understand my point that stories of the few making worse for the whole are often just exaggerated bullshit urban myths.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; May 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    The vehicle was parked and she had it between her legs while attempting to remove the lid so she could add cream and sugar. The picture also didn't show the vicious burns to her buttocks and girly parts... since the coffee ran down the vinyl seats and pooled around her sensitive areas.

She had to forfeit 20% of the awarded settlement since the jury found her 20% at fault.

Yes, so long as you understand my point that stories of the few making worse for the whole are often just exaggerated bullshit urban myths.
    i woulda found her at least 40% at fault (it's coffee, it's hot, how do people not know this? but i also dislike McDs and woulda made them pay twice as much), and yes i get your point on exaggerated bs, but none of that exaggerated bs helps in the slightest+^_^+ lets get back on topic and show our collective fingers at corporate interest screwing the poor and hungry+^_^+

i woulda found her at least 40% at fault (it's coffee, it's hot, how do people not know this?
    They do. Nobody expected the coffee to be room temperature. Most establishments, and even home brewers, heat coffee to around 135 160 degrees. McDonalds heated their coffee to 185~190 degrees. They cited that they held it at that temperature for flavor, under the expectation that customers were going to consume it either at home or at the office. However their internal research found that most customers drank their coffee immediately after purchase, while it was still "unfit for consumption". Even informed of consumer habit, they did not change their temperature standards to make it safe for consumers.

Yeah. Coffee is hot. McDonalds coffee was excessively, dangerously hot. They knew it, and they didn't do a damned thing about it.

but i also dislike McDs and woulda made them pay twice as much)
    Glad you weren't on the jury then.

and yes i get your point on exaggerated bs, but none of that exaggerated bs helps in the slightest
    Actually, it does, because if you're going to "show our collective fingers at corporate interest screwing the poor and hungry", then it's a good idea to do that for specific instances of things they are actually at fault over - and not harass them out of principal of being "big greedy corporatists". In which case, you have to separate the legitimate grievances from the bullshit, bias, and minor gripes.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; May 18, 2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Errored

They do. Nobody expected the coffee to be room temperature. Most establishments, and even home brewers, heat coffee to around 135 degrees. McDonalds heated their coffee to 185~190 degrees. They cited that they held it at that temperature for flavor, under the expectation that customers were going to consume it either at home or at the office. However their internal research found that most customers drank their coffee immediately after purchase, while it was still "unfit for consumption". Even informed of consumer habit, they did not change their temperature standards to make it safe for consumers.

Yeah. Coffee is hot. McDonalds coffee was excessively, dangerously hot. They knew it, and they didn't do a damned thing about it.
    Google "scaa optimum coffee brewing temperature"
    coffee traditionally should be served at 160°F

Glad you weren't on the jury then.
    that's how i get out of jury duty+^_^+ get that letter, go in and just say "i don't care, guilty, your not gonna change my mind"

Actually, it does, because if you're going to "show our collective fingers at corporate interest screwing the poor and hungry", then it's a good idea to do that for specific instances of things they are actually at fault over - and not harass them out of principal of being "big greedy corporatists". In which case, you have to separate the legitimate grievances from the bullshit, bias, and minor gripes.
    ??? how does the bs help?? all that extra work of separating it from legitimate grievances. really sorry about the lady that burned her lap, but she's one lady in the face of 1000s of bs cases and people. just think how did every hair dryer end up with a label in the manual saying "do not use while sleeping"? if that doesn't scream successful scam i don't know what does+^_^+ anyway I'm done beating this dead horse, ima find a new one+^_^+
    Last edited by Chik'Tikka; May 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM.