Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSO2 not just crashes... shuts down my computer?

I'm having a weird problem. Whenever I try to play PSO2 beta, my computer ends up shutting down. It may be during the login screen, or after a half hour of playing, but it always happens. It shuts down just like someone pulled the plug on the system without any warning.

This computer handled Skyrim just fine, so I doubt it's a hardware issue. I even tried playing on graphics setting 1. One other odd thing is that whenever I run the game, SpeedFan stops reporting my motherboard's temperature (instead reporting -1°C)

Has anyone else happened to have an issue like this?

I have crap PC and I never had this problem.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

If its a Geforce GTX video card you'll need to get another one. I had one that would crash when I got to a map and started killing enemies.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by moorebounce View Post
    If its a Geforce GTX video card you'll need to get another one. I had one that would crash when I got to a map and started killing enemies.
    Nope, it's an ATI that's a few years old

EDIT: Newest drivers of course

Quote Originally Posted by moorebounce View Post
    ...I doubt it was crashing simply because you had a "GTX" card. NVidia has been naming their video cards "GTX" since...if I recall, around the 8000 series (which began prior to the 400 series, which brings us up to the current 500 series and finally now the 600 series with the 680 recently released).

Now if it was crashing because your video card was old, malfunctioning, or had some other issues--sure, but blaming it NVidia for its past 3-4 generations of GPU's seems a bit far-fetched. There are plenty of people playing this game with an NVidia card and it's perfectly fine for them--I can attest that much.

Does it spontaneously shut off when doing other things? I had something like this happen a couple months ago and it turned out to be a bad fan.
    Zeota - Ship 2 (JP)
    http://twitch.tv/zeomantic

Quote Originally Posted by Zeota View Post
    Does it spontaneously shut off when doing other things? I had something like this happen a couple months ago and it turned out to be a bad fan.
    Never happens otherwise

This happened to a friend of mine, I think it's his PSU overheating (which is further supported by the fan on his nearly dead). Your PSU may be trying to exert too much of a load at once.

This may seem like a silly question, but do you dust out your computer regularly with compressed air? If too much dust lays in there it'll overheat when you run games that run up your CPU usage.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    This happened to a friend of mine, I think it's his PSU overheating (which is further supported by the fan on his nearly dead). Your PSU may be trying to exert too much of a load at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    This may seem like a silly question, but do you dust out your computer regularly with compressed air? If too much dust lays in there it'll overheat when you run games that run up your CPU usage.
    Both seem plausible. I know my PSU is a bottleneck for any future upgrades, and I do need to de_dust (heehee) my computer, but the fact that Skyrim ran fine on what I believe were high settings is what confuses me.