Default Another PSO2 complaint from nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by DreXxiN View Post
    This basically. PSO has always been more about the adventure and treasure hunt than "endgame" I guess. The game could use more variety rather than the streamlined progression though
    I really, really didn't know what to call this thread, but the important thing is that I'm disappointed and didn't want to hijack the other thread. No one with power is going to read this, and even if they did it's too late in the dev process to change this.

But I hate the quest counter.

I hate it because I'm not really doing quests. In PSO we were allowed to burst down to the planet whenever and kill things. Forest 1, 2, Dragon. Bam, free play. If we wanted to dive into the story we could do the Hunter's Guild Quests or the BB Principal's Quests.

Here, we have to do a couple of "missions" with no real story connection to unlock the free play. Then, if we do want story, we complete some Matter Board (by again going through barely-connected runs) to have an entire chapter thrown at us at once. That's PSU, not PSO.

What happened to questlines like Black Paper or Elenor where I'd get a rich story piece by piece? Or questlines where there's a reward at the end, especially ones that change based on decisions I make? One reason I loved PSO so much was because I was still drawing connections years after I originally ran through Ep I. I just don't get that feeling here. All the NPCs are thrown at me at once alongside the story, and it just doesn't feel that engrossing.

What are the merits of the current system? Why can't we just have "Free Forest Extermination" off the bat and unlock Caves Extermination once we clear it under a certain time or something? Then save the actual quest runs for the story of the game.

/rant (and work... going home)
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

What quest counter?

/walks into campship

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I kinda get where OP is coming from. I work a fairly busy schedule and can't really grind out on the game as much as I'd like.

Games that overload you with quests and the like and ask that you party up with people (not necessarily to complete the quests, but partying in general) when you have a log full of quests just drive me nuts. I get to a point where I have this big log of quests that other people have probably already done and probably want to play in a new area or do something much more fascinating. I don't really wanna bother asking people to play with me at that point because I'm keeping them from doing their missions in an effort to do my crummy quests, and if it can't be completed in one run, I'm wasting even more of their time.

It's really kinda ruining the game for me because if I don't bother with the missions I'm losing progress, but if I get others to play them and can't get them completed quickly, I'm just holding them back.

Yes, if the pick up and play nature is missing that would be quite unfortunate.

Quick EDIT: I actually dislike MMORPGS for the reason that they stack quest upon quest on you and it becomes a chore to share them with party members so it just becomes imperative to Solo but that ruins the point of Online gaming.
    Last edited by Quadocky; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Solo in multiplayer? GUWAAAGH.

I'm okay with it. Kind of neutral...but I do prefer PSO's way better :/

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triela View Post
    I kinda get where OP is coming from. I work a fairly busy schedule and can't really grind out on the game as much as I'd like.

Games that overload you with quests and the like and ask that you party up with people (not necessarily to complete the quests, but partying in general) when you have a log full of quests just drive me nuts. I get to a point where I have this big log of quests that other people have probably already done and probably want to play in a new area or do something much more fascinating. I don't really wanna bother asking people to play with me at that point because I'm keeping them from doing their missions in an effort to do my crummy quests, and if it can't be completed in one run, I'm wasting even more of their time.

It's really kinda ruining the game for me because if I don't bother with the missions I'm losing progress, but if I get others to play them and can't get them completed quickly, I'm just holding them back.
    "Liked" b

I've been playing solo for these same reasons. Between stuff in real life and just playing at my own pace, my friends will be understanding when I need to go AFK for 15 minutes but ordinary players typically don't. So you're left to solo if your friends aren't around, and that makes questing very dry. All I can think of during these missions is the Black Paper storyline, and how quests were linked - even if at first you didn't notice.

I also direly miss the ability to try to go down and into new areas, then got devastated by the infantry mob and go crying back to the safety of a level I've already beaten. Also, the rich feeling of going through uncharted territory. Beating Vol Opt was so much fun for me, because you had absolutely no idea what lay ahead. Nobody told you to go to X and defeat Y. You weren't shown a picture.

These people tell you to go on a quest and beat the boss. Your objective is never a mystery. There IS still a sense of randomness and mystery, but that lies entirely in the emergency codes.

I'm not overly into RPing, but even I appreciate it when the game at least pretends that the boss is a surprise, or there's a quest with a real storyline that you didn't expect. That quest where you bring the RAcaseal and find swords in the ruins, and the Black Paper storyline, are the kind of things that would make this game fun for me.

Then again, it's still the open beta. I don't know either way whether we should be expecting that kind of content yet. Hell, maybe they aren't planning it, but will realize that's what players like and will bring it in.