Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Fighter

now a days people think that RPG's mean heavy storyline, magic and item finding. RPG stands for ROLE PLAYING GAME. and not turn based battles. The only reason turn based battling was introduced to RPG's was because 1 person cannot control multiple characters simultaneosly. Now that you can play online, you will slowly see RPG's go back to the realtime rule based worlds they always were. But there is still something missing, the roleplaying is gone and everyone has turned PSO into E-Bay. I seriously want to start a new guild for non-cheating, non item tracking, non-trading all the time people who just want toplay for the battles. The serious RPG fan lives for the battles. I don't want to spend hours on pioneer 2 negotiating with people for this and that item, I WANT TO PLAY DAMMIT. And And I am sick of joining a game and being bombarded with do you have this and that questions. I put serious time in the game for my items and I don't want dupers ruining it for me. And if I put in serious time, why can't you ?

PSO World is your guild per say.
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Coolest Motha on the planet

I must say the one thing that annoys me a lot is when as soon as i go into a ship/block they are talkin item trading. It is all people want. If they spent half the time playing v hard with ppl as they do asking around for stuff they might just get what they r looking for. Damn people.

I never said RPG's had to be turn based. I actually prefer real time. My complaint is that when you play a role of a character you are supposed to find out what happens to that character. A story is central to any RPG. I used to play D&D and I always gave my guys a story to follow for every adventure. How can you say a story isnt important????? LOL

hey, hopefully Sega come up some Epic online quest with a decent story.

Story is not the main point of PSO, the main point is interaction between players, thats why it has *online* in the title. The fun of the game is playin with cool people online, not finding out about the fate of the world. Yes, I would like a little heavier story, and a good ending for all the work I put into this game, but thats not what makes it fun.

PSO Assassin
    NYC, Staten Island (the forgotten borough)

yeah the game was made for player interaction but that leaves the offline mode in the dust.

"The serious RPG fan lives for the battles."

Well, I think a 'role-playing game' is more about character development and storyline than pure combat, but I understand what you mean.

RPG isn't specificaly just about a story... This game and Diablo prove that... barley any story at all... just enough to give the setting. When I see RPG I generaly thing character development. I think the major reason you will see people in the lobbys more asking for items rather than in a game finding it themselves is because, over the years, thats how online games evolved... look at UO... and Everquest... Sure they have fighting, but alot of players now-a-days arn't looking for the items themselves... they spend thier time in Britania or Gbay (er... Gfay... doh!) sitting at the bank asking for items. That is one reason why I generaly like offline RPG more than online.

all in all... if storyline made an RPG~ I think Halflife would count as an RPG just as much as any other game.

i know what your talking about, PSO can have a good story to it but, you have to find ppl that wil RP with you make a background for your character, have your own story unfold for them as they do the same for you, sure it takes some work but if you played and liked D&D it will come easy to you. I've joined a group that does this.

I also see what you mean about ppl not playing the game and fighting any more for the past 2 weeks even my fiends never want to play just trade, and try to get all the rares there are, i like rares and finding them, ive decided im not trading anymore, for one it ends up being dubed to death, and two i just want to play the game.