Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

Well it has to be something bad because they're not supposed to have their maintenance until next wednesday
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Given the timing of these events and the message being stated, the "Other" things....It could be anything from banning specific accounts and IPs if they have gotten enough reports, SImply repairing damage caused By the hacking (that's GOTTA take a toll on the gamedata serverside, am I right?) Or the disaster scenario people are worrying about Is going to happen and we'll just have to work around it, or wait for a probably Not coming US/EU release.

That or it could be a good surprise they don't want to spoil yet.

It's just human nature that we as people, as a mob, presume the absolute worst at any given moment if a situation is presented to us that We know is bad, and then a related element makes a statement that is as blanket and vauge as Sega's release on the announcement has been.

THough if it is an IP Ban? Then hopefully someone out there knows how to...well, resolve the situation. With Sega, with the playerbase.....

Honestly can't see an IP ban, never happened on PSU or before that either.

Broomop's been doing this for as long as I can remember, so him doing this in PSO2 doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

The other reason I can't see an IP ban is that any hacking won't be purely by Western players. Though they may not like to admit it, there are JP script kiddies/hackers as well.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Famous last words

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

Quote Originally Posted by Zinaida View Post
    "IP block."

Yeah, because Japanese residents are so pure and there isn't a single hacker there. If they wanted to IP block us, they'd do it, and I doubt they'd let the actions of one person influence the decision to lock out a whole nation.

I really dislike how every time someone who doesn't reside in Japan does or says something stupid that suddenly we're all going to get IP banned according to a few paranoid people.
    QFT.

They haven't IP blocked at any time in the past, why would they suddenly do so now? Think, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    QFT.

They haven't IP blocked at any time in the past, why would they suddenly do so now? Think, people!
    Although I personally don't agree there will be an IP ban (I'm more of a "they might ban those who end up using English patches" guy"), there is a very strong case for it.

In the past, they had no reason to reject foreigners from playing, because the games were on a subscription basis. Why would they turn away good money?

But now, any one can experience the whole thing for free. This might be the problem. A good amount of English players I imagine will not be buying any AC at all and could potentially be seen as leeching good server space for Japanese customers if free blocks on servers are continuously rammed with people.

It probably wont happen, but what's more likely is them saying that foreign players can play, but they must buy premium tickets to free up space on the free blocks for their actual target market.

Well, that's an interesting idea, but it doesn't work if they have no method of filtering for foreign players outside of IP addresses - how do they differentiate a "JP account" from a "foreign account"? For that matter, making us buy premium would be a way of acknowledging our existence when they really would rather not, since it would mean they would have to give us at least limited support (because they would be explicitly stating we're allowed to get on, whereas right now they only let us on because "we don't care enough to do something about it").

It would also be a little pointless as most of us westerners do not play during JP prime time, which greatly reduces the strain we put on their servers.

Well, that's an interesting idea, but it doesn't work if they have no method of filtering for foreign players outside of IP addresses - how do they differentiate a "JP account" from a "foreign account"? For that matter, making us buy premium would be a way of acknowledging our existence when they really would rather not, since it would mean they would have to give us at least limited support (because they would be explicitly stating we're allowed to get on, whereas right now they only let us on because "we don't care enough to do something about it").

It would also be a little pointless as most of us westerners do not play during JP prime time, which greatly reduces the strain we put on their servers.
    Well it's like you said, it'd be filtered by IP. Of course, there'd be problems with Japanese players accessing the game abroad, but I've got a funny feeling there might be a requirement soon for players with foreign IP's. It wont be a ban, no way on earth.

But about the service, it's currently open to every one. The problem is they will only accept messages in legible Japanese.

No, you can filter machines that are logging in by IP, but you can't filter accounts by IP unless you explicitly log each IP that logs into an account and tag the ones that come from outside the country (which is computationally expensive when you're talking thousands of accounts). They would first have to tag accounts as "foreign accounts" before they can even talk about special requirements for those accounts, and then they have to set up their servers to disallow access to said tagged accounts unless they have premium.

It's a whole lot of work for not very much benefit, particularly when the foreign player base is less than 1% of the playing population and don't play during JP prime time hours. It's energy much better served by focusing on the problem at home.

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Don't get me wrong. I'm not like, "OMG OMG OMG I.P. BAN!!!" or anything like that. I have seen it happen before though. One hacker screws everybody else over (well, "everybody else" only being us anyway). Just because Sega hasn't done something like that before doesn't mean they won't do it now.

Times have changed and the business itself has changed. We're now running on a "cash shop" system. If they have nothing to gain from keeping us around, they probably won't. What I mean is, if they can give us the boot and free up more space for JP players to come in and buy AC/Premium/etc., then I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

Never say never, I always say.

No, you can filter machines that are logging in by IP, but you can't filter accounts by IP unless you explicitly log each IP that logs into an account and tag the ones that come from outside the country (which is computationally expensive when you're talking thousands of accounts). They would first have to tag accounts as "foreign accounts" before they can even talk about special requirements for those accounts, and then they have to set up their servers to disallow access to said tagged accounts unless they have premium.

It's a whole lot of work for not very much benefit, particularly when the foreign player base is less than 1% of the playing population and don't play during JP prime time hours. It's energy much better served by focusing on the problem at home.
    You have a point, but I'm very interested where this 1% mark is coming from. We're not the majority by a long shot, but I feel people are grossly underestimating how many English players there are.