Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phantasy Star 1 in Minecraft

Update - new progress updates and a quick question:

I am looking for ideas for my next pixel art creation - I am not an artist per-se, so it has to be an actual image I can use. I would like the next piece to be from Phantasy Star 1, but if there aren't any good ones, I will take art from any of the series, so long as it relates to PS1 in some way (like the Rolf/Eusis' dream intro, or the statue from PS4, etc).

Updates at bottom of OP, and OP below

-------

So I started playing Minecraft on June 27th - after having said I would never do such a thing.... and something profound happened.

In the darkness that was my ignorance of Minecraft, I found a holy torch; a shining prism that would forever show me things that were not otherwise visible. I saw Minecraft for what it truly was - a gateway to my childhood and the journey for revenge that was the first ever Role-Playing game I played outside of a tabletop setting.

There I was, learning about Minecraft, playing a hardcore world in single player while sometimes going onto a friends server for fun, when a conversation started. It was caused by the sheer number of things built by people on that server, and with my ignorance of all things Minecraft prior to this, I realized something so suddenly that it almost floored me (I had my trusty crystal though!)

I could re-create Phantasy Star in Minecraft.... as homage to the series I have loved for almost 25 years.

Now mind you, I had not seen any videos or examples of anyone else doing it, and I did not care if it was already done. I wanted to do it... so after two failed attempts with 2 dungeons and 3 towns completed each (the first with me using 2x2 minecraft tiles for each sprite in game, and the second with a failed town to over-world ratio), I started a new, more ambitious version - each over-world tile on the game map would equate to a 32x32 group of minecraft blocks.

The cities will be large and amazing looking, the landscape will require artistic license (or you will be walking for 1.5 minutes through nothing going from Camineet to Scion), and the dungeons will be as close to exact as I can make them, within the confines of the Minecraft game.

That said, my current project progress is thus:

Completed:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

Baya Maylay Prison

Area just outside prison on way to Baya Maylay

In Progress:

Area inside wall but outside Camineet

Baya Maylay environs - specifically the mountain range and cliff face from prison to cave entrance

I also have a nice Pixel Art of Dark Falz and Alis+Company on the world south of Parolit that took about 10 hours to complete... true fans would love to see it, I assure you.

The project will be about 1.2 billion blocks or so when fully completed, and I plan on making a texture pack and mod for the world so that I can have a server set up to play it on directly. I also plan on doing PS2, 3, and 4 should this project turn out well.

You can see Dark Falz on my youtube (can I link it here?) and you can watch me in-progress live whenever I am casting (unless I am doing some other game at the time) on my Twitch.tv page (also can I link it here?)

=)

Edit: my website, youtube and live stream links:

My website - http://catreina.com
    My live stream - http://Twitch.tv/Catreina
    My Youtube - http://Youtube.com/CatreinaTV
    Last edited by Catreina; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Updated Progress

Might I suggest making a custom texture pack to set the mood for your creation, would really help it feel more like what you are trying to do... you could even substitute the music disc songs in for PS music.

Edit: whoops missed the part about you saying you're making one lol

Not "making one" - planning to make one. I am using specific blocks for everything, so that if I make a texture pack, I -should- be able to just swap to it and everything will look decent.

I am not a good GFX person however, so I am not sure how well that part would go over =)

The music stuff is already on my mind, as part of a full mod I want to develop later

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Yes you can link videos! Link videos!

You just combined two amazing things. Minecraft and Phantasy Star.

<3.

I posted a long article about the ratios I am using and how I came up with the total block count for the project. When all is said and done, I think this might take me some months to complete, especially as I am doing it alone.

-----

So I did another Pixel Art yesterday, this one of Alis and companions - they generally take me 9-12 hours it seems, with a height of 160 or so blocks and a width of about 90 blocks.

The arts are one block deep, so no 3D yet (I have only been doing Minecraft since June 27 2012), but I think you will like the new art all the same.

So links are posted here and will be updated in the original post

My website - http://catreina.com
    My live stream - http://Twitch.tv/Catreina
    My Youtube - http://Youtube.com/CatreinaTV

I am still working on the cave south of Scion, but level 2 is done and level 3 is coming along. The cave was put off a bit because of the new pixel art (by the way, as of this post it is not on youtube yet)
    Last edited by Catreina; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Things are coming along - I have opted to go with an elevator (piston car powered) instead of just stairs going from town (Camineet/Parolit) to planet, and because of the scale of the port, this is probably the best (unless I can get teleportation working)

I am still working on some extras for the elevator, and then I will be detailing the Spaceport and two towns before moving onward to Scion.

The Scion cave is complete - with working traps.

Moving on to Scion, and then I will be working on fleshing out the entire area where Baya Maylay sits - it will be the first full area I flesh out that is not a town.

I have some big ideas for how to do that area too, it will be quite interesting if it works out.

That said, current progress will be (or is) updated in the main post as well as here:

Completed:

Parolit - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Elevator/Lift from Parolit <=> Palma is working

Camineet - all detailing outside of buildings, most in-building details. Both elevators/lifts from Camineet <=> Palma working

Spaceport - All detail completed. Hangar bay, tarmac, flight control tower, etc all done. Suggestions on how to improve anything in here is welcomed (You can see it on my stream or youtube - I will have a clip going up in the next day or two)

Rails between all 3 - completed

Medusa's Cave

Scion Cave (traps working)

In Progress - Area inside wall but outside Camineet

In Progress - Scion

Update - Scion completed.

Moving on to the first large area I will flesh out totally - Baya Maylay (and its surroundings)

I have the wall and jail completed, the mountains starting the surround of the tower started (and looking good if I do say so), and a bit of the cliffs overlooking the sea started. With the new area, and the desire to complete this entire area (including the tower) prior to moving on to other parts of Palma, I am looking at finding a new pixel art to complete - I am taking suggestions, though it must be related directly to Phantasy Star, and preferably to Phantasy Star 1 (this includes scenes from later games such as the intro to PS2 or the statue from PS4).

First post will be updated with progress and a short quip about the new pixel art

Best of luck with your project, I hope you see it through to the end.