Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti-aliasing

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Gameguard = Malware? This is not exactly a revelation, heh. People have known about this for years and it's precisely why so many folks really, really dislike it (besides the fact that it doesn't actually stop people from doing malicious things to the games using it).
    It isn't just GameGuard, there have been a lot of anti hack systems that have dug into places that they shouldn't touch. Same with DRM systems.

Quote Originally Posted by G.A.M.E.R-X View Post
    Its because you're using 64 bit windows, Gameguard still hasn't patched this I see >_>

Technically its supposed to hide its own process and the games process as well. It hides it just fine on all 32 bit windows setups but derps all over on 64 bit.

Ugh gameguard......wish companies would stop using it. Makes about as much sense as hiring a single rent a cop to guard fort knox.....
    Well, as I said, I'm double checking things now, but the fact that it is able to hide the process on 32 bit Windows means that it is likely using one of the major weaknesses in 32 bit Windows. This was fixed with 64 bit Windows by the way.

*Edit*

Well, I seem to have been right. Basically GG derps on 32 bit IMO. After getting a 32 bit version of Windows 7 installed and investigating a bit, I know why there is a difference between 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, and why there will never be a fix for 64 bit versions of Windows. In order to hide the process on 32 bit Windows, it loads in a driver without prompting the end user, patches the Windows kernel so that it doesn't include pso2.exe and gamemon.des in the process list provided by the toolhelp snapshot and reverses that when PSO2 exits. The 64 bit Windows kernel has kernel patch protection, so this is impossible to do (if something attempted it then Windows would bug check) and there is also the fact that 64 bit Windows only accepts signed drivers unless you select that option on the boot menu at every boot.
    Anyway, I would be more inclined to send a bug report to Microsoft for allowing a driver to get loaded without the user's consent rather than sending a bug report to GameGuard. After the whole Sony DRM fiasco (which did something similar to what GG is doing) then I always shudder when companies resort to attempting to patch the kernel, and is also why I'm glad that the world is slowly migrating towards x64.
    Oh, and as for the hiding of the process actually making any difference, to be honest, I'd say only against the script kiddies. For the time it takes for GG to load, pso2.exe is visible along with its PID. So unless it also patches the kernel so that it also fails for direct requests to open up a process from the PID (which is more dangerous mind you) then it will only really help if the programs you use only allow you to choose from a process list rather than allowing you to enter a PID.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Aug 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    What GPU are you running? I have a GTX 680 and am trying to determine if I should try this.
    That should be able to use my setting and even more, such as AO too.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Quote Originally Posted by Sizustar View Post
    This is the setting I use for Nvidia Inspector
    Spoiler!
    Does anyone remember the antialiasing code that was used here?

It wasn't Sparse Grid Anti-Aliasing, it was for Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and it looked really good.