Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Um... no. Not even close.

Maybe Korean-style MMOs all do, but you won't see such a system in any Western RPG (and for damn good reason, at that).

Even then, the method of implementation varies wildly between games.

!
    I meant that all RPGs implement a mechanic that usually extends the duration/longevity of the game, without adding anything to the gameplay. That's all Affixing and grinding are really: major time and meseta sinks. Though I guess that point is a bit unrelated eh.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFalcon View Post
    Guys, we aren't meant to have the cake and eat 5 cakes with it
    The game is easy enough as is. It's literally balanced around us having +6 weapons and 1 ability on our weapons and units. Us doing things with 90 to 95% failure chance, then complaining that the enemies die in 2 hits (and bosses in 30 seconds) is just funny to me
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Coatl; Aug 12, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I meant that all RPGs implement a mechanic that usually extends the duration/longevity of the game, without adding anything to the gameplay. That's all Affixing and grinding are really: major time and meseta sinks. Though I guess that point is a bit unrelated eh.
    You are 100% right about this, but the problem is that the PSO2 timesinks are apparently not all that fun to quite a few people. While all games have timesinks, the best games are designed well enough to make you overlook or even forget that fact that they are, in fact, timesinks.

As someone else mentioned, the lack of anything else at all to do other than farm meseta/rares makes the game pretty one-dimensional. There's nothing else to do if you get bored farming, which is not a good thing and in my opinion, it is not good design. However, that's just my opinion, and even though I feel that way, I am still playing for now.

I don't really agree with the argument that the game just came out, and that's why it lacks content. That's a fairly poor excuse in my opinion. With such a low level cap combined with the aforementioned lack of supplementary content, it will become more and more of a problem as time goes on.

The only thing offsetting this is the (for now) frequent updates, for which I am very grateful and appreciative. It is keeping me playing for now, at least.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    First off, I would like to applaud you for swimming against the current on this topic; that isn't something everyone can do. I think that's commendable, internet or not.

Second; I'm not really playing sides here, I just thought this would be interesting to throw out for discussion. Let us suppose, for the time being, that most of the people playing are doing this for enjoyment. Now, as it's been shown, a chunk of posters here don't find this system enjoyable at all. A successful sink, at least in my opinion, is one that the player can enjoy using while still fulfilling it's original purpose. As this thread has so far shown, following my definition, dodo is performing....less than adequately to many people. The point behind this, Coatl, is to get your views on this.

In all seriousness; suppose you had the ability to overhaul the system. What would you change and what would you keep?
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

I have good luck with grinding for some reason, and I'm very glad weapons don't break like they did in PSU (that just made me fucking sad). I kinda think grinding should be hard to do as long as there's a decent difference between no grind and +10, and I think there is.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

There are no words to describe the pain Dudu has caused me and my fellow man.

@Enforcer MKX: The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll take a stab at it. XD

Current System
    • Find weapon
    • Rejoice
    • Curse that your affixes are wrong
    • Attempt to change affixes
    • Curse Dodo for making things worse
    • Try grinding to ease the pain of failing affixing
    • Rejoice as things go well
    • Curse Dodo for making things worse and failing all of the later grinds

The problem right now is that all roads lead to cursing Dodo and his growing meseta pile/pile of crushed enemy souls/stockpile of weapons he pretended to break/etc. Most of that is also related to Dodo making things worse.

If there's any one tweak that might work for Sega to make Dodo more palatable, I'd say just adding one new item to the AC store, "Restore Weapon to Last State" and a less powerful version to the FUN Scratch would do wonders to reducing frustrations. To lower the possibility of breaking the market, the item would have a low-mid success rate, but conversely, the weapon/unit in question would retain the memory of the previous affixes it had unless you try to start from the beginning again.

I don't think this would work much for grinding though, short of following the suggestion of making it extremely expensive to reach the later grind levels, but with a near 100% rate.

---

Thinking about it a little, doesn't Dodo look just a little too similar to a certain PSIV NPC called Seth? (Similar mop of hair/mustache/etc) And remembering who Seth was in the end...

If Sega does eventually reveal that Dodo is a humanoid Dark Falz in future, I will be very happy. Most especially for the chance to beat him up finally.

Kidding aside, I stick to a strict diet of grinding only up to a max of +5, hoarding all the soul items I find, keeping my expense in a single receipt to a few hundred thousand at most, and most importantly, affixing up to 3-4 slots with dummy affixes, and then only attempt a Soul/Mutation affix. Most importantly, I never perform another re-affix on a weapon once I get it up to a state that I'm satisfied with. Keeps my sanity more or less intact. I'm not blowing all my resources on any current level gear, that's for sure - I'll leave that for gear that's a bit more end level.

Even with this diet, I still want to kill Dodo. He's the only thing currently standing between me and a properly affixed Salvadore +5 rod right now. :P

I'd never blow a million meseta at one go - Dodo just ain't worth it. I leave that honor to when I'm buying Crystal's latest outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuyaHikari View Post
    There are no words to describe the pain Dudu has caused me and my fellow man.

Almost impossible to fail. But...yeah.

Why don't you guys do what I did? Just buy 5 star weapons, grind to 10 (quite easy) and affix only 2 abilities? Im pretty sure doing the same on a rare weapon is much harder and getting more than 2 abilities is not worth losing the 2 abilities you have. If you get a 9-star weapon then just sell it. There will be a level cap raise soon anyway so make as much money as you can in my opinion.

What i'm gonna do is just farm with my maxed out 5-star weapons and sell all the rares i get in preparation for next patch and then just get the BiS rare and max it even if it costs 10 million meseta.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Crow View Post
    Why don't you guys do what I did? Just buy 5 star weapons, grind to 10 (quite easy) and affix only 2 abilities? Im pretty sure doing the same on a rare weapon is much harder and getting more than 2 abilities is not worth losing the 2 abilities you have. If you get a 9-star weapon then just sell it. There will be a level cap raise soon anyway so make as much money as you can in my opinion.

What i'm gonna do is just farm with my maxed out 5-star weapons and sell all the rares i get in preparation for next patch and then just get the BiS rare and max it even if it costs 10 million meseta.
    Honestly? I love my 5 star rifle right now. I bought it +10 with four slots on it. It's serving me faithfully - and probably will for some time, because I quite simply like it more than any of the rares released right now. I don't need a firearm, and I don't need that huge Tigre that everyone seems so happy to get. My Alba Laser is my mainstay - and it's gonna continue being my workhorse for a while, I think, despite the snide remarks I get for not going for ULTIMATE POWAH!
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer MKV View Post
    Honestly? I love my 5 star rifle right now. I bought it +10 with four slots on it. It's serving me faithfully - and probably will for some time, because I quite simply like it more than any of the rares released right now. I don't need a firearm, and I don't need that huge Tigre that everyone seems so happy to get. My Alba Laser is my mainstay - and it's gonna continue being my workhorse for a while, I think, despite the snide remarks I get for not going for ULTIMATE POWAH!
    I myself put most of my money on my アルバビーム set (4* ARs).

Its a little weaker than the Alva Laser, but I prefer it mainly for its "compactness".

I would go for the アルバレーザー, but I've already invested most of my monies in Alva Beams and It just looks too long for my preference.