Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default How does PSO2 hold up to psportable 2(infinity)

Ever since PSO2 has released, I've been having a blast. However the format is just so different from any pso game. It's taken inspiration from both pso and psu, but also has alot of new concepts which... some of them I find rather questionable.

Now I don't wanna go into details about the concepts, I just simply wanna ask a simple question.

Psportable 2 is really one of the best pso experiences i've had in the past and I thought it did everything better than anything that came before it. I'd argue that that pso2 is better than psu and psportable 1, but lately i've been doubting wether it's better than psportable 2.
    )
    I'm taking the easy way out and figured why not ask it to you guys . so tell me what ya think
    Last edited by Agitated_AT; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

One is a complete game, and one is not yet complete.

Can't really judge yet.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonix9 View Post
    One is a complete game, and one is not yet complete.

Can't really judge yet.
    Then use your brains and try to make a fair and logical comparison. I would suggest compare part of psportable 2's content to the whole of pso2's. Or just simply the experience of going through a dungeon. The thrill factor, the challenge, the satisfaction and so on. It's possible if you don't restrain yourself too much.

Surly won't this comparison be better when android psvita ports come out...

The fact you have to pay for scape dolls has meant a decreased death count so things seem a little too easy sometimes then you try to solo bosses and the scale flips.

One thing I specifically am not liking is the fact that the hunts all seem to be about looking for bursts rather than learning the best places to look for certain enemies. Rare hunting has changed a bit too much maybe? Bursts also get very boring I think and become more of a button mashing session rather than seriously trying to kill stuff strategically.

I totally see where you are coming from.

Playing PSP2i on PSP 6.39PRO-B6 (Online)

PSOW save games converted: 44. Conversion Service Ended.

PSP2i (especially vanilla) is definitely more challenging, even in the beginning. There are some aspects of PSP2i's combat that I prefer as well, such as every class being able to block, and abilities not being tied to skill trees, so you avoid getting crap you really don't want. PSO2's combat is arguably more fun depending on your class, I prefer PSP2i Ranger, but PSO2 Hunter and Force are much more fun to play for me here, even with the lack of variety. Though with PSP2i you have so much freaking freedom and can pretty much do whatever you want on any class, along with the Rebirth system...

PSP2i has more costume customization, and the costumes you can shell out real cash for are cheap and you actually get what you pay for. Also don't have to spend real cash to change your characters proportions or their damn hair color, so that's nice too.

All in all though, I prefer PSP2i, but as said it's a complete game anyway. So a complete comparison won't be happening anytime soon. Even then, I'll probably still find PSP2i to be the best anyway. lol probably, no doubt there actually.
    Last edited by Shakuri; Aug 13, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkyskunk View Post
    The fact you have to pay for scape dolls has meant a decreased death count so things seem a little too easy sometimes then you try to solo bosses and the scale flips.

One thing I specifically am not liking is the fact that the hunts all seem to be about looking for bursts rather than learning the best places to look for certain enemies. Rare hunting has changed a bit too much maybe? Bursts also get very boring I think and become more of a button mashing session rather than seriously trying to kill stuff strategically.

I totally see where you are coming from.
    Awww, you don't like boss soloing? I was hoping they'd make those harder actually. And yeah overall the enemies aren't messing you up as bad as they could be right now. Maybe next difficulty rank?

I will admit I'd rather hunt for rare enemies than PSE Burst all day, but is not too bad to me. One thing that would be cool is if they put increased drop rates on enemies in the enemy ranking or something.

In terms of gameplay, PSO2 is much more fun and infinitely more entertaining. It feels like much thought and care went into it than the PSPortable games which were basically their way of saving the PSU franchise.

In terms of content, Infinity wins. But this is because it's the very last tail-end game to the PSU franchise, it has loads of maps, bosses, weapons, clothing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakuri View Post
    Though with PSP2i you have so much freaking freedom and can pretty much do whatever you want on any class, along with the Rebirth system...
    I was rather disappointed that PSO2 doesn't have a rebirth system (yet), as now that I reflect on it, is probably one of the best additions they made to the gameplay system. PSP2/i's leveling system was always truncated due to it's nature as a portable game... but it also allowed smooth progress to maximum level without the fatigue of grinding for days just to add a few more pixels to the XP bar. Especially when you have a job, school, kids, and other real-world responsibilities which impede progress. Then upon reaching level cap, you can start over (with a boost) and continue to progress... which is a great help as it provides extra usefulness to lower-rank rare weapons, oppertunities to start over from scratch with friends (without losing much progress), and not having to be capped out keeps you from feeling like you just wasted a shit-ton of time when hunting for rare items at higher levels.

I really hope that, as time goes on, Sega reduces the XP required to level up while adding in a rebirth option to PSO2.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

If they add a rebirth system I might just have to hang my hat up.

It seems like a cheap shortcut for holding out on content and devaluing the accomplishment of leveling.