Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xbox 360 controller analog triggers problem

Hi, it would appear that PSO2 uses DirectInput and not Xinput, so it treats the triggers on the 360 controller as one button.

Is this true? Or is there a way to get the 360 triggers to behave as seperate buttons, and not one? I want to map lock-on to the left trigger, however, it won't let me dash with the right trigger.
    Last edited by slave2pso; Aug 18, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Never had any problem with this. Updated your drivers? Try a default reset of the controls in the game settings?

But otherwise you could try joytokey. A wonderful program that converts button inputs to keyboard inputs. It treats the triggers as two ways of an axis, able to set both a command for the plus side, and for the negative side. Just have it running in the background and remove any inputs in-game for the buttons you wish to use.

Joytokey also has a "trigger" button which, while pressed, sets a completely new control scheme for the controllers buttons. I use this to have the hotbar keys to the normal buttons. Extremely convenient!

did you set the game to use 360 pad? there's an option somewhere that changes icons in the menu to the colored skittle buttons and such, when i switched it to that, my triggers worked separately+^_^+ also, are you using an OEM 360 pad from M$ and not some 3rd party one (MadKatz or Razer-Onza)? also, make sure all your 360 pad drivers are up to date!! Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2 64-bit for Windows 7 +^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Feggge View Post
    Never had any problem with this. Updated your drivers? Try a default reset of the controls in the game settings?
    I've updated my drivers (I'm using the wireless controller) to the 1.2 64bit Windows. Reset my options/ buttons to default; set the controller up again, all to no avail.

I also use JoyToKey for my hotkeys (since I can't get XPadder to work with PSO2). I unmapped the triggers in PSO 2 and assigned them to X and Q (dash and lock-on, respectively) and they still behave like one axis. It's strange, because the triggers work fine in my other XInput games, such as Skyrim and Saints Row.

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    did you set the game to use 360 pad? there's an option somewhere that changes icons in the menu to the colored skittle buttons and such, when i switched it to that, my triggers worked separately+^_^+ also, are you using an OEM 360 pad from M$ and not some 3rd party one (MadKatz or Razer-Onza)? also, make sure all your 360 pad drivers are up to date!! Xbox 360 Accessories Software 1.2 64-bit for Windows 7 +^_^+
    I've repeatedly set the buttons as the XBOX ones, I am using the official wireless XBOX 360 pad, and have updated my drivers; nothing works.

Sounds you have a faulty xbox controller on your hands (or in your hands ^_^). It sounds like it treats the axis as the same way. Taking away the negative side or something.

If you open the drivers for it and test the buttons in windows, how does it behave there?

Quote Originally Posted by Feggge View Post
    Sounds you have a faulty xbox controller on your hands (or in your hands ^_^). It sounds like it treats the axis as the same way. Taking away the negative side or something.

If you open the drivers for it and test the buttons in windows, how does it behave there?
    No, it's not a hardware fault, it's definitely something software-related. I tested 3 360 controllers and they all behave the same.

In Windows, the triggers behave as one axis: image1, image2

But like I said, across my XInput-enabled games, like Skyrim, Saints Row, Arkham City, Assassins Creed, Portal 2, Dead Island, etc. the triggers behaved independently, as they should.

only thing i can suggest now is a complete reinstall of PSO2, since PSO2 is supposed to support Xinput, something may have gone wrong with the initial install or there may be something wrong with the downloaded client (it happened to me for a few odd glitches, getting rid of the old CBT client did the trick, but i didn't have controller issues after fresh driver installs), you can download it from scratch at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7FA...1kN28tWTQ/edit +^_^+ also check to see if any third party software (joy to key, Xpadder) you have might be overriding the in game support+^_^+ anyway, try everything else you can think of before PSO2 uninstall and re-download, i just can't think of anything else right now+^_^+

only thing i can suggest now is a complete reinstall of PSO2, since PSO2 is supposed to support Xinput, something may have gone wrong with the initial install or there may be something wrong with the downloaded client (it happened to me for a few odd glitches, getting rid of the old CBT client did the trick, but i didn't have controller issues after fresh driver installs), you can download it from scratch at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7FA...1kN28tWTQ/edit +^_^+ also check to see if any third party software (joy to key, Xpadder) you have might be overriding the in game support+^_^+ anyway, try everything else you can think of before PSO2 uninstall and re-download, i just can't think of anything else right now+^_^+
    Are you sure your triggers work separately? Set your L trigger to lock-on (hold), and the R trigger to dash or attack or something. Keep the Left trigger held down, then try to press the R trigger and see if it performs the R triggers action, or continues to do the L triggers action.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2pso View Post
    Are you sure your triggers work separately? Set your L trigger to lock-on (hold), and the R trigger to dash or attack or something. Keep the Left trigger held down, then try to press the R trigger and see if it performs the R triggers action, or continues to do the L triggers action.
    LT is item usage, i use d-pad to cycle items and skills (like weak bullet) and LT to use, and RT is shoot+^_^+ RB is PA shoot, and LB is target lockon set to toggle (never really use it, a TPS fan myself)+^_^+ they work separately from each other just fine+^_^+

LT is item usage, i use d-pad to cycle items and skills (like weak bullet) and LT to use, and RT is shoot+^_^+ RB is PA shoot, and LB is target lockon set to toggle (never really use it, a TPS fan myself)+^_^+ they work separately from each other just fine+^_^+
    Swap your LT (Left Trigger) and LB (Left Bumper) functions, so that the LT is lock-on.

Now, hold the LT button down, while trying to press the RT button, and see if it perfoms the RT's action, or continues to do the LT's action.

I think you are wrong in saying the Left and Right Triggers work seperately.