Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Cheapest possible laptop to run PSO2? (yes, I know)

Hi all!

I have a conundrum. My wife'a favorite game (besides Shenmue) is PSO. She's currently in the hospital, and will be for the foreseeable future. I wanted to cheer her up and get her something to do by getting her on PSO2. Her laptop (a Dell 1525...I thought about upgrading the CPU and ram, but I doubt it would help) doesn't have a chance in hell of running PSO2.

I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible laptop (you can see why "get a desktop" isn't an appropriate response here, lol) that will run PSO2 on ANY settings. She's used to the DC and PSU, so she'll be happy with anything. She's gonna need some physical rehabilitation that's gonna keep her in bed for a while, so obviously I have to be as careful as possible with money, cos dem medical bills gon' be crazy.

I'm hoping for links to specific models. I normally don't require hand holding but I've tried to do my own research and it seems like most of the threads are geared toward getting PCs that will run it on the highest settings. I run it at home (ok-ish) on an Intel Core 2 2.13ghz with 4g of ram and a nvidia 8800 GTS 512....so I'm assuming something like this wouldn't be enough?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230401

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Billkwando; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Compare the graphics cards to this chart. You'd probably want something with at least a score of 700 to play it optimally.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

That laptop probably wont be good enough.

Edit: You might be able to get away with around 400-500 at very low settings and lower resolution. If someone has a 300-500 dollar laptop that can run it I'd be curious to know what kind.
    Last edited by IzzyData; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
    Hi all!

I have a conundrum. My wife'a favorite game (besides Shenmue) is PSO. She's currently in the hospital, and will be for the foreseeable future. I wanted to cheer her up and get her something to do by getting her on PSO2. Her laptop (a Dell 1525...I thought about upgrading the CPU and ram, but I doubt it would help) doesn't have a chance in hell of running PSO2.

I'm looking for the CHEAPEST possible laptop (you can see why "get a desktop" isn't an appropriate response here, lol) that will run PSO2 on ANY settings. She's used to the DC and PSU, so she'll be happy with anything. She's gonna need some physical rehabilitation that's gonna keep her in bed for a while, so obviously I have to be as careful as possible with money, cos dem medical bills gon' be crazy.

I'm hoping for links to specific models. I normally don't require hand holding but I've tried to do my own research and it seems like most of the threads are geared toward getting PCs that will run it on the highest settings. I run it at home (ok-ish) on an Intel Core 2 2.13ghz with 4g of ram and a nvidia 8800 GTS 512....so I'm assuming something like this wouldn't be enough?:

The minimum specs for the game are clearly given.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (which was 1.86GHz dual core)
    RAM: Windows XP 1.5GB, Vista/7 2GB
    HDD: 8GB
    Graphics: NVidia 7800GT or above (similar class for other graphics processors, so I think that should either be the Radeon HD2000 series or the Radion x1000 series, probably the HD2000, not sure about Intel though).
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyData View Post
    Compare the graphics cards to this chart. You'd probably want something with at least a score of 700 to play it optimally.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

That laptop probably wont be good enough.
    I see. That laptop scored down in the 400s.

What about the processor? Is 1.5ghz enough to run it or does it at least need to be 2? I know my desktop struggles sometimes (runs at 99% or 100% but still runs ok) but it's old.

Edit: I see the minimum requirements now, but suggestions and further insight are still welcome.
    Last edited by Billkwando; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

A 1.5ghz processor seems a little low. The cpu's isn't normally the bottleneck when playing video games, but I think I'd want a little better than AMD's atom processor equivalent.

My netbook's cpu is 1.6 ghz and I know for a fact it would struggle trying to play pso2 despite the graphical issues.

As long as you meet the min specs, it should play fine but how much (budget) are you willing to spend for buying one?

Hey, just wanted to wish you and your wife good luck. ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
    Hi all!

She will be able to play PSO2 without problems at default settings with this laptop as it has a nice videocard which is the thing PSO2 is most dependant with additionally you can check offerings from nvidia with laptops that include a geforce 630 or 620 series but overall they might be weaker and more expensive (but still within the 300$~550$ price range) and because of the situation you are mentioning to us for her that laptop you are showing us will be able to run the game without problems in the meanwhile.

Moreover I wish her good luck, best wishes and a fast recovery!

PD: I've already checked neweggs offerings on laptops from ASUS, ACER and LENOVO and so far it looks like you already choosen the best laptop performance/money value wise so I would say go for it as it's a very good choice!
    Last edited by Neirene; Aug 20, 2012 at 01:35 AM.

If you don't need to play with high shaders, modern Intel graphics can more than handle PSO2. My work laptop has a 2.3 GHz Core i5 2410M with HD 3000 graphics. It does well above 60 FPS with shaders turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag-X View Post
    If you don't need to play with high shaders, modern Intel graphics can more than handle PSO2. My work laptop has a 2.3 GHz Core i5 2410M with HD 3000 graphics. It does well above 60 FPS with shaders turned down.
    That's an experiment i wanted to try if you say that the Intel HD graphic series works then he has a much broader choice choice of laptops that can run the game and of course save a little bit more of money too.