Cool Any tips to lock on Vol Dragon's 2nd horn?

Hello

I've just started leveling as a ranger and I'm having an issue with getting a lock on Vol Dragon's "back" horn. It sometimes takes me more than one minute to lock on that particuliar part, and as this boss as the habit of burrying himself quite often, in the end i loose a lot of time getting that lock just to loose it a few instants later.

As you have probably have guessed by now, I'm playing with a gamepad, so manual aim isn't really an option, since this boss moves around a lot. Furthermore with weak bullet + sneak shot every bullet counts.

All this to say I'd like to know if anyone having the same issue has found a solution, every tip would be much appreciated.

NB : "use a mouse + keyboard" is obviously not the kind of answer I'm looking for

Jump from the side, under the wings and then lock while in air.
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Easiest way is to knock out it's tail and immediately go for the upper horn. While Vol is down, you can use it's head as a stepping stone to get closer to the horn.

At other times, when you see an opening, jump up as close to the horn as possible, try lock on and hope for the best.
    PSO2 - Sen, Xecty

Heres an easy way: First break the face horn, then WAIT TILL HE GOES UNDER AT LEAST ONCE. Most players that i play with dont seem to understand that if he's in his basic form he will just stumble for a second and not fall. When hes on the ground you can jump on his back and lock on easily, or you cann jump at his sides just infront of the wings and lock on at the highest point of your jump.

Credit to MissMalice for the sig.
    Hunter: 65 Fighter: 65
    Retired Classes: Ranger: 40 Gunner: 40
    Force: 40 Techer: 40
    0 on everything else.

Thank you all for those valuable tips, I tried the jump under the wing thing and it does work, not every time but I guess I need to practice a little more... Anyways its the most reliable way ( apart from knocking Vol on the ground of course )

Thanks again for making my career as a weak shotter more easy !

Actually, there is a control scheme that lets you lock on to a different nearby target evne when you've already locked on to something. Note that you can't "cancel" it unless there are no enemies around. It's best to have both of them (regular on LB; switch on LS for controller users).

You can remap a button to Lock On Switch. I remapped my right joystick click button to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Sol View Post
    Actually, there is a control scheme that lets you lock on to a different nearby target evne when you've already locked on to something. Note that you can't "cancel" it unless there are no enemies around. It's best to have both of them (regular on LB; switch on LS for controller users).
    Yes I am well aware of that function and I use it a lot, for say kartagots or breeahda. But for the Vol's back horn it just doesn't work as it will target everything but that horn : front horn then wing then hand then other hand back to wing then to front horn etc...

Actually i really hope they would introduce a button to switch target on the same enemy (yes I hate it when it toggles to one of the digg running around instead of staying on the boss), and rather than making it kind of random / whatever you're closer to, just follow a pre established order / loop. Not sure if I'm really making sens here, yes english isn't my native language. Anyways, too bad i forgot to mention that in my survey.

EDIT : I've been thinking about it and a feature I would love to see added to the game is letting you use manual aim (or aim down the sight, whatever you call it) to then create a temporary lock point on the part you want to shot at. This would be awesome for say Rockbear's head or Malmoth's top horn...
    Last edited by DusDus; Sep 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Have you tried jumping and switching lock on? The function only seems to switch to locks that are directly in front of you/on your screen. It takes me 2 - 3 tries, but it's better than nothing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DusDus View Post
    Yes I am well aware of that function and I use it a lot, for say kartagots or breeahda. But for the Vol's back horn it just doesn't work as it will target everything but that horn : front horn then wing then hand then other hand back to wing then to front horn etc...

Actually i really hope they would introduce a button to switch target on the same enemy (yes I hate it when it toggles to one of the digg running around instead of staying on the boss), and rather than making it kind of random / whatever you're closer to, just follow a pre established order / loop. Not sure if I'm really making sens here, yes english isn't my native language. Anyways, too bad i forgot to mention that in my survey.

EDIT : I've been thinking about it and a feature I would love to see added to the game is letting you use manual aim (or aim down the sight, whatever you call it) to then create a temporary lock point on the part you want to shot at. This would be awesome for say Rockbear's head or Malmoth's top horn...
    For someone who isn't a nativie english speaker you're doing better than most. XD