Page 2 of 333 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Another note on Bullet Squall and Spinning Death: their button mashing stages are cancelable with Machinegun's special action, so if you don't feel like spinning in one place, you may as well not.

Anybody figured out a good use for Dead Approach yet? It just seems to hit the enemies away out of your reach (too far away for another Dead Approach or an Aerial Shooting to reach).

Edit: Also which Photon Art is Spinning Death (not seeing the name in the 6 that I have, are the 7th and 8th already released)?
    Last edited by IndigoNovember; Sep 15, 2012 at 04:01 AM.

Charged Aerial Shooting > Satellite Aim > Bullet Squall seems to be the best combo so far, and it's definitely the coolest-looking string too
    For Chain Finish, I usually keep an identical weapon in the 2nd palette with 3x Satellite Aim - the damage is amazing with it.

I've never really been short of pp, so I don't see any need for PP Restorate...
    The common scenario when playing Gunner is that you'll have plenty of PP but struggle to find an opportune time to close in and dump it all. Especially if you're trying to fill up your Gear; you'll want to be as trigger happy as you can to fill it up.

On to Chain Trigger.
    The default cooldown time is horribly long in reality, so i'd recommend maxing it out over Chain Finish if you're only going to do one of the two.
    I have to point out the biggest flaw in the skill, though...

Chaining with Mechguns is pretty horrible on any moving target because you'll eventually find yourself in the following situation:

(i) You've started the chain but the enemy is too far away to get a PA off, so you'll have to run in for it. But wait! if you stop attacking and start closing the gap then chain will break!
    So you're only option is to step forward > attack > step forward > attack > step forward > get punched in the face, fall over and lose the chain. And i'm sure it's happened to all of you
    Gunner really needs the ability to jump forwards.

What i'd recommend is building the chain with a rifle (yep, you can do this), so that you can still shoot whilst strafing the target and positioning yourself accordingly. You can then switch to a Mechgun for the PA, or you can use something like Sneak Shot instead, if you want.
    | Dextro | Ship 10 | Legion |

Building up a chain with a Rifle has its disadvantages, too, namely the inability to dodge and shoot at the same time. Defensive roll is incredibly slow, so doing it can cost you the chain. It think that chains should be built up with Machineguns, and you should only switch to Rifle for the purpose of moving forward and shooting at the same time. And even then, it costs you your Gear gauge.

Shame Gunslash is single-fire, or I'd just use that to close distance. Even on this one weapon show I still enjoy me some Thrillsplosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    Building up a chain with a Rifle has its disadvantages, too, namely the inability to dodge and shoot at the same time. Defensive roll is incredibly slow, so doing it can cost you the chain. It think that chains should be built up with Machineguns, and you should only switch to Rifle for the purpose of moving forward and shooting at the same time. And even then, it costs you your Gear gauge.
    Yeah, what i meant was that i'd recommend building up the chain with a Rifle as a solution to the scenario i posted, where you need to move forward to close the gap - not in general.
    Hopefully you have party members that will keep the chain up while you move in though, even if it's just the odd 1 attack every 2secs, it's a lifesaver.
    | Dextro | Ship 10 | Legion |

Yeah, chains are so much easier to do in a party. And I especially like it that the chain is mine, and mine alone, and nobody else is allowed to finish it!

Being that I play with two other people at most, both ones I know well and fortunately aren't retarded, I actually wouldn't mind it if they could finish my chains. One of them is a Force, so.

This discussion raises a good point, though; Chain Combo is obnoxiously situational and difficult to use. It may be Son of Weak Shot, but I might skip it because of the pain in the butt it can be. I'd probably be better served ignoring the righthand skills altogether.
    Last edited by Mike; Sep 17, 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Merge

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoNovember View Post
    Anybody figured out a good use for Dead Approach yet? It just seems to hit the enemies away out of your reach (too far away for another Dead Approach or an Aerial Shooting to reach).

Edit: Also which Photon Art is Spinning Death (not seeing the name in the 6 that I have, are the 7th and 8th already released)?
    I use Dead Approach as...well, an approach, on large monsters/bosses. The one thing that irks me about Gunner is that for a class that's basically melee with guns, just about everything it does puts distance between me and the target. I like to use Dead Approach as a gap closer when I'm fighting bosses. I was fighting the banther twins today and it was super helpful being able to zip up to their faces when they did their little trot and a hop away.

Quote Originally Posted by Geistritter View Post
    This discussion raises a good point, though; Chain Combo is obnoxiously situational and difficult to use. It may be Son of Weak Shot, but I might skip it because of the pain in the butt it can be. I'd probably be better served ignoring the righthand skills altogether.
    Yeah, Chain Trigger is not what I'd call an essential skill for a Gunner. But, then again, Gunners have barely anything to pick from - Gear is an almost must, Zero Range Advance is a might, Attack PP Restorate is a probably should, and that's about it. Judging from the data that Japanese players are providing, Showtime isn't something you should be excited about, Aerial Advance, with it's 1.2 modifier, is very underwhelming... And you are only left with Chain Trigger and stat ups.