Page 4 of 333 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Personally, everyone playing a Gunner should at least invest a point into Chain Trigger. It's not costing a whole lot to pick up since it's the second tier with the same unlock cost as Zero Range Advance, and it has some uses. Chain Finish, on the other hand, I'm rather skeptical.

Showtime, on the other hand, I'm very strongly considering picking up, for the sole reason of becoming a dodge tank. Think about it, we have all these invincibility frames and dodges from TMG skills, and with Showtime upping hate and Gear Gauge, we can potentially dish out some good damage along with nice hate generation. So I'm working my way towards that unless something comes along to talk me out, but that seems unlikely.

Have I hated you properly today?

Gunner is meant to be a subclass (skill tree is awesome), but the class has a low DPS. Machineguns are like rifles with silly animations, therefore much lower DPS, Chain Trigger is about ten times weaker than Weak Bullet, nothing a Gunner uses can remotely compare to launchers when it comes to handling groups of enemies.

I'll give a more definite opinoin when I'm LV40, but the class seems totally pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ClothoBuer View Post
    Showtime, on the other hand, I'm very strongly considering picking up, for the sole reason of becoming a dodge tank. Think about it, we have all these invincibility frames and dodges from TMG skills, and with Showtime upping hate and Gear Gauge, we can potentially dish out some good damage along with nice hate generation. So I'm working my way towards that unless something comes along to talk me out, but that seems unlikely.
    Yeah, I still don't want to give up on Showtime, either. It is a nice concept for a skill, although you will only the hate-generating part of it, really, since that gear isn't too hard to fill. However, as I said before, it is buried under pointless stat up skills and the hate generation itself scales pretty slowly with levels, which makes it not as desirable as it would have been otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Gunner is meant to be a subclass (skill tree is awesome), but the class has a low DPS. Machineguns are like rifles with silly animations, therefore much lower DPS, Chain Trigger is about ten times weaker than Weak Bullet, nothing a Gunner uses can remotely compare to launchers when it comes to handling groups of enemies.

I'll give a more definite opinoin when I'm LV40, but the class seems totally pointless.
    Gunner wasn't meant to be a subclass. That's just a silly thing to say. The problem with Gunner and Techer as stand-alone classes isn't what they were supposed to do, it's what they weren't supposed to do, which would be to compete with their overpowered counterparts. After all, you might notice that people who say that Techer is designed to be a subclass due to Force being much more powerful bring up the take-it-immediately-or you-suck skill that I probably don't even have to mention and the single most overused technique ever as a proof. Similarly, you yourself have mentioned two things that Rangers have been abusing to no end ever since Open Beta (since they fixed Jellen Shot). There is a good reason why Fighter is the only class out of these three that isn't designed to be a subclass, according to people here.

If a balance patch ever happens upon us, it will "severely nerf" two classes. Can you guess their names?
    Last edited by Sp-24; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoNovember View Post
    About Dead Approach, I've used it, as it's name suggests, as an approach, but I was more of wondering if there was any other uses besides that. It certainly doesn't seem to combo.
    Dead approach is currently my favourite PA for GU. I'll list some of its uses:

-Can be used as a quickmove ability, much like rodeo drive. Much better as it only costs 25PP.

-It knockbacks enemies, and into the air as well, allowing you to set up for Aerial Advance.

-Knockback puts distance between you and the enemy.

-Due to traveling distance and speed, it can be used defensively as well, to escape from clustered mobs, etc. Again, knockback helps blast a way though.

-It is excellent for zoning in on a chain break, especially for bosses which have weakspots on their back (e.g. caterdan/vol). Due to its speed, distance and horizontal locking, I find it a lot more accurate and effective in connecting with a chain break, in comparison to other GU PAs, such as messiah time.

-Due to it's 25PP cost, as well as it's speed, you can use it 4 times on one chain break, leading to terrible, terrible, damage.

-Dat sound.

-Dat Royal Guard Break from DMC.

Also, unrelated, but a nice PA combo I came up with: Aerial Shooting -> Reverse Tap -> That "spinning while shooting in the air" PA (Bullet Squall I think).

And....about Showtime, what does it mean by "increased hate"? Does it mean aggro?

One more thing! About Aerial Advance, it supposedly increases your damage against airbourne enemies. What about enemies larger than you (ie, you are shooting upwards)?
    Last edited by Limbo_lag; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Almost 10 years later. Still forever sleep deprived.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-24 View Post
    Yeah, I still don't want to give up on Showtime, either. It is a nice concept for a skill, although you will only the hate-generating part of it, really, since that gear isn't too hard to fill. However, as I said before, it is buried under pointless stat up skills and the hate generation itself scales pretty slowly with levels, which makes it not as desirable as it would have been otherwise.
    Even if hate doesn't scale well, we as a class deal enough overall damage to pull enough of it. Additionally, if you get lucky, you can get the Hate Up effect from the Shifta Drinks, which works wonders for gaining hate. Once I actually have the ability unlocked and I play around with it, I'll get a feel for what it's capable of, but until then I'm holding out hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Limbo_lag View Post
    Dead approach is currently my favourite PA for GU. I'll list some of its uses:

-Can be used as a quickmove ability, much like rodeo drive. Much better as it only costs 25PP.

-It knockbacks enemies, and into the air as well, allowing you to set up for Aerial Advance.

-Knockback puts distance between you and the enemy.

-Due to traveling distance and speed, it can be used defensively as well, to escape from clustered mobs, etc. Again, knockback helps blast a way though.

-It is excellent for zoning in on a chain break, especially for bosses which have weakspots on their back (e.g. caterdan/vol). Due to its speed, distance and horizontal locking, I find it a lot more accurate and effective in connecting with a chain break, in comparison to other GU PAs, such as messiah time.

-Due to it's 25PP cost, as well as it's speed, you can use it 4 times on one chain break, leading to terrible, terrible, damage.

-Dat sound.

-Dat Royal Guard Break from DMC.

Also, unrelated, but a nice PA combo I came up with: Aerial Shooting -> Reverse Tap -> That "spinning while shooting in the air" PA
    Dead Approach is in my opinion the better of the gap closers. It may not benefit from the second attack Aerial Shooting gets from the charge, but it's quicker, closes more ground, plus the knock-back can disperse a crowd. The best single-target chain combo I've found so far has been Aerial Shooting (charged) -> Reverse Tap -> Bullet Squall. Close the gap to knock-up to midair stun to knockdown and mostly unevadable damage. Getting the timing and position for the Squall's spin damage is the tricky part, but it'll more or less dispatch any lone mob you face. For groups, Dead Approach -> Satellite Aim -> Reverse Tap is my go-to. Dead Approach gets you into the crowd, clears a few of them out of the way, Satellite Aim launches anything that's close and Reverse Tap catches them as they come down and whatever's left. If you feel, you can switch out Reverse Tap for something else, but it's the one I felt that has fit the best of the ones I played with.
    Last edited by ClothoBuer; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Edit because some testing has yielded that Dead Approach covers more ground than Aerial Shooting.

Have I hated you properly today?

Quote Originally Posted by kabutozero View Post
    That's what I was looking for , a dpsing pa with range and not some flashy move that makes or requires you to get closer to mobs , not saying those are bad but for BOSSES I would prefer to keep the rifle playstile from ranger instead of having to dodge so much
    This class reminds me a lot of the Acrobat from Dragon Nest, it has range attack but you're meant to mainly be close range all the time which isn't big deal with Gunner since they have so many invincible frames on that new dodge now. Plus you can mix that dodge with the default Ranger one for interesting results.

I'm still not sold on Showtime. The Gear guage doesn't take long to build for me already and going that far down into the skill tree for what basically sounds like War Cry doesn't seem appealing to me. Normal enemy encounters don't last long enough for me to benefit from it so I would mainly be getting for certain bosses that I hate chasing when their attention is on other players who play chicken (i.e. Banther/Banshee/Quartz Dragon).

Hoping some info is missing from it and it like adds a few more bars to Gear gauge or something (meaning more damage) otherwise it sounds pretty meh for being buried down so much the Skill Tree so much.

Anyone have the 1min cooldown Chain Trigger? I want some impressions from those that do. I'm a little over the fence but still haven't made that push yet.
    The Storm Is About To Rage
    Ship 9
    Male Human - HU65 | FI64 | BR65
    Female Newman - FO65 | HU40 | TE65 | FI65 | BR65 | RA33
    Female Cast - RA65 | GU65 | HU65 | BR47

for clarification's sake, do mech gunnies use the hunter combo pa style or is it like the rifle...?
    "A good job is a constant pileup of many much simpler tasks being done well."

Hunter combo PA style.
    The Storm Is About To Rage
    Ship 9
    Male Human - HU65 | FI64 | BR65
    Female Newman - FO65 | HU40 | TE65 | FI65 | BR65 | RA33
    Female Cast - RA65 | GU65 | HU65 | BR47

So, I really really dislike ranger gameplay. I don't like sidelines-type classes. The launcher is just against every instinct I have when playing games. The gunner, on the other hand, seems to fit me perfectly as far as guns go.

Is it as drastically different as I think? I notice gunner has less hp. How do the mechguns actually work? Does the special function, the flip, give you invulnerability frames? Are mechguns more accurate than assault rifles when moving or flipping, despite having shorter range? That splashy effect when bullets vanish, is that an AOE?

I've skimmed the thread but saw no mention of fundamental properties of the class, so sorry if this was indeed mentioned like one post above me and I'm just derping it up.

There have been about a million posts talking about the massive amount of invincibility frames the special dodge has. As I said earlier in the topic, you basically have to try to get hit on this class.

Basic attack accuracy isn't a problem. I'd actually be inclined to say they're more accurate than Rifles, probably because your Gear is dependent upon maintaining continuous damage.

Basic attacks have no splash damage. Indeed, area damage is one of this class' weak points.