Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Sky below me. Orange above me. Dirt everywhere else. My crippled sister is in my arms.

My name is Fortuna, a Caseal butler under Professor Felix. I have been with Daddy, my master, for four years. For the duration of being with him, it has been the same things over and over again: he goes to work and comes back days after with an illness that seems more of an excuse to stay home. I am to stay home and safeguard the house for his return. For most of the duration while he is gone, I am outside of the house shopping. A few days prior to Daddy returning to the day he leaves, I tend to automated systems which tend to simple maid work and especially clean the intruders who dare to barge into our home. I am built for serving and commanding. Physical aptitude is that slightly below a fit Human. However, that is very subpar in comparison to most other CASTs, since we are mostly composed of superhuman strength. Then again, I am the brains of a network. I do not really need as much physical prowess as many others.

My crippled sister is in my arms.

I only thought about it just now as I sat back against a pillar in a cold, moist location in some underground cave. I would be lying if I thought this place was out on the surface because of the lighting, waterfalls, and plant life. I panned around the location, hoping to find this “sister” of mine. If I fell somewhere, where is she? I don’t remember seeing anyone when he found me.

“Hey.”

I looked up to find a massive RAcast with a shotgun in his arms. His color scheme was primarily black, polished, and gleaming eyes of piercing purple. He was taller by half my height and his thickness was at least twice the size of my limbs. I cannot say that his plates were any smaller. The floor quakes to every step he takes. His head type was odd it had a protrusion that looked like a Dorphon horn, and I assumed he rammed as hard as one.

His shotgun was a peculiar one. It was known as a Final Impact. It had a white body with yellow accessory parts. Whenever he shot with it, pure destruction came after, which is what a normal Shotgun did not do. A normal Shotgun would only hurt the target it strikes, assuming that the enemy is a live target. However, with his, it was relentless and destroyed even collateral targets. It is such a terrifying weapon.

“Sorry,” I said to him. “I need to take a breath.”

He scoffed. “Like an Organic. Pathetic.” He dropped down to sit next to me, creating a small tremor to the place.

I checked the handgun we found. It was an Autogun. It is a standard issue handgun that fires blue photon bullets. It is meant to be more used as a sidearm weapon. It was small, just like me in comparison to the RAcast. It also seems to have up to thirty shots per hour, making it simply unusable in prolonged fights. I have to find a better sidearm or at least another weapon in the event this Autogun overheats. At least the bullets recharge over time.

There are three major weapon classification types. They are Hunter, Ranger, and Force. The first two letters of each job type often accompanies the race/gender classification of the person. The race/gender classifications pairing male and female respectively are Mar and Marl for Human, Newm and Newearl for Newman, and Cast and Caseal for CAST. So, in the case I am in, I am with a male Ranger CAST. Rangers specialize in accuracy above all else and higher aptitude in long-ranged weaponry. I suppose I do fall under the category of being a RAcaseal, but the training I have received was purely informal nor am I officially licensed. It was not the usual means of how CASTs learn operations, where we are coupled to a data exchange server of how to even pull a trigger are transferred and learned. I was taught by the usual means of how Organics learn: physical learning. In fact, everything I know has been learning by Organic means...

... but why?

“Let’s proceed,” the RAcast stated as he stood up to his feet.

His intimidating eyes were upon me. I honestly do not understand why I am following him. I do not know why I came to this place. His large hand came to me, making me retreat back a step.

“You don’t talk much, do you?”

His hand opened with its palm up for me to take. I pursed my lips but soon found his eyes to be gentle. I mean, why else would he open up to me? He is a CAST who worked in security and has a second generation SOUL module.

... Wait. How do I know that?

His hand was much larger than mine. My fingers were barely able to wrap around his thumb. I felt so small in comparison to him. Yet, as I looked up to his intimidating pair of blue eyes, I did not feel alone. Gradually, my left hand rose from my side, but I stopped. Again, I took another glance.

“Why do you want me to come with you?” I asked him.

He chuckled. “You don’t need to know the details. Just know that I’ll do all the fighting until we get where we need to. As for you--” He took my hand into his. “You need to stop hesitating. Just listen to me and everything will be fine. Understand?”

I gave fleeting gestures down to our hands and his face. “Yes.”

He leaned forward. As he came too close, I backed away in the same pace. “Are you sure you’re a Caseal?”

Again, this question... I answered, “Yes.”

He paused for a moment. He was definitely deciding upon something. Even so, I remained quiet. He finally raised himself upright, having me rise to my feet.

“Fortuna, I’ll ask you one last time, and I know you’re a civilian. Do you want to join me in surviving with us?”

Us? “Are there others?”

He pointed over his shoulder, unveiling a Diwari Mag. It looked almost like a cape when in certain angles, but surely, it is detached from the body. I smiled and bypassed the RAcast to touch the Diwari, but it simply floated up to make itself unreachable, even if I were to jump.

The RAcast laughed. “He doesn’t like to be touched by Caseals.”

I looked up to it...

“Fuck off, bitch,” a small voice said through wireless communication means.

I shifted my sights to the RAcast. “It is female.” Huh. I am a Mag whisperer. I suppose this is actually better than what I expected of myself. I wonder what else I have that is unique.

The RAcast glanced over his shoulder to the Diwari. I suppose he did not know about its gender and just took a guess at it. Still, it has such a vulgar set of words. I smiled as I laid my eyes on her. She rose up in suspicion that I would try to touch her again. Maybe she is shy.

A Mag is a simple slave robot species that operate as a capability enhancer of its master. They all have personalities unlike a vast majority of CASTs, but they lack the ability to communicate with a vast majority of civilization. Mags all take a different shape according to its growth type and the section ID of the user. In the case of the fourth evolution Mag of the RAcast, it had an emphasis on Dexterity with Power as its secondary trait upon its fourth evolution. Apparently, a Pinkal or Skyly can evolve them. On the left side of the RAcast chest plate was a Redria emblem.

“Fortuna?”

“Yes?”

“Let’s move on.”

He immediately turned away from me and continued through the moist underground cave that strangely has plant life. His footsteps were a monstrosity itself, intimidating at the very least, and his size was especially something to be worried about. Yet, I did not fear him. I felt safe. Our hands were still together... His wrist... “NH-0J”? Hmm...

“John?” I read quietly.

“Decided to say my name, finally?” he responded.

I paused for a moment but eventually shook my head. John. That is his name.
    Last edited by ARChan; Feb 10, 2015 at 07:09 AM.

Conflict: a disagreement among two or more opposing objects, material or immaterial.

Tell me, why does it have to happen?

I stood above a body that once belonged to a HUcast. Yes, it is only a body. There were remains that the head was detached by force. What we believed to be the head was found beyond identification against a wall of this mechanized labyrinth. To believe this labyrinth was once a mining area by Pioneer 1... It is difficult to even think people did labor in this location, especially with all the plates that rusted due to lack of maintenance and sparks that shot out of the walls and the sort. John had his smoking shotgun over his shoulder.

We could not save the HUcast.

This HUcast claimed we were his enemy and began swinging his saber at us, or me in particular. I managed to come out unscathed, but the result was John coming to his side and simply blasting his head off. My hand touched my face, where oiled ether touched me. My hand trembled without even my knowing, and as much as I tried to stop, it proved fruitless. My breaths began to labor.

“You killed them! You killed them all!”

That is what he said. He said that. Why? I did not kill anyone! Why?

A gasp left my lips as a large hand came down upon my shoulder. I traced along it to identify a massive shadow looming over me. Only his deep, purple eyes glowed.

“What did he mean?” I asked John. “Did I kill someone?”

His hand rose from my shoulder but patted down and gripped my shoulder, not saying a word as he passed me to continue onward. I stopped him before he could make another step. My hand gripped his forearm, but my sight did not escape the HUcast.

“As I said, I’ll do all the fighting until we get where we need to.” John took his arm back to himself. “Please, stop hesitating. It’ll only become harder if you do.”

John turned away and his footsteps resounded further after the other. Fighting includes elimination, huh? I touched the remains of the head...

... and smiled.

Pioneer 1: One of many mother ships which traveled through space from our former home planet known as Coral. Many of the newer generations do not know a planet that we called home and instead thought of the Pioneer mother ships as whole planets. So, the planet that Pioneer 2 now hovers over was a major breakthrough, and many became excited. We hastily made contact with Pioneer 1 and especially made premature links, but we were not prepared for what was to follow.

Mommy: The unofficial partner of Daddy and the actual one who planned our creation. However, it was Daddy who finished the job without consent from Mommy. Even so, Mommy was pleased. I was only able to see her once, but she was not able to acknowledge that I existed. I only watched her from the hangar bays, bowing down from my waist as how I was trained, bowing down from my waist to someone whom I do not know and was supposed to love. Her mission was to be one of the welcome wagon’s passengers and be one of the representatives of Pioneer 2 to coexist with Pioneer 1. However...

The Tragedy: The event that some dubbed. Something happened on the surface of the new planet that Pioneer 1 called Ragol. I was beside Daddy in the dining room as I was pouring him his favorite blend of tea. The visiphone displayed a very beautiful angle of Pioneer 1 and 2 creating a link between them. Two beams of blue and red touched... Then, as citizens of both sides were rejoicing, a massive photon reading enveloped the Central Dome of Pioneer 1. The next thing we knew, all communications were one-sided. Visuals of people soon became empty and ominous. We all waited for a good hour, waiting for something to happen, but the picture never changed. Immediately after that hour, the welcome wagon crashed upon entry onto Ragol’s surface. Even today, no one knows what truly happened.

... or rather, that was what the public was supposed to know.

Principal Tyrell’s Hero: a figure who suddenly appeared as a representative from the Hunter’s Guild of Pioneer 2. The actual identity of the hero was lost among time when false claims to fame arose, but due to the many false claims, the hero became favored as a mysterious legend.

I was recovering when I noticed I was being carried on a pair of arms. The footsteps were not heavy... and the arms were soft. An Organic? I was back in the caves area with the waterfalls and underground plant life! I flailed my arms and tossed myself out of his grip. As I rolled on the floor, I armed my Autogun and took aim.

I gave fleeting glances to realize I was in the center of eight Organics. I noticed swords, staves, wands, and rifles. Surrounded and outnumbered. Wait...

It took me a while to remember that I was walking with John through the mechanical labyrinth when we were ambushed. John attempted to keep them all back as I attempted to make an escape as ordered. After that, I found myself here.

“Please calm down,” a FOmar said to me as he held a hand out from his side, having everyone lower their weapons. “We are only going to enslave you for now. Please bear with us.”

Enslave? I attempted to keep my distance among the others. OPSS is meant to exterminate us CASTs. I do not want to be exterminated! The FOmar took a step forward but stopped when he noticed my aim locked onto him.

FOmar: a male Force Human. They specialize in techniques and are considered to be well versed in offensive and defensive technics. Technics come in five different elements as of this recording:

1. Fire:
    --Foie: a straight fireball. At higher mastery, the fireball speed increases.
    --Gifoie: a curving fireball that spins around the user and fans out. At higher mastery, the user can instead summon two fireballs and the speed of which it rotates is significantly higher with the radius being farther as well.
    --Rafoie: ignites the target to explode. At higher mastery, the blast radius is larger.
    --Shifta: enhances photons from weapons and invigorates the user. At higher mastery, the user is able to enhance other Human, Newman, and CAST.
    --Jellen: suppresses photons from weapons and dulls the target. At higher mastery, the user is able to suppress more targets.

2. Ice:
    --Barta: a straight frost wave that skims across the floor. At higher mastery, the wave is faster and travels farther distances.
    --Gibarta: smothers the enemy with a chilly wind. At higher mastery, the distance and the thickness of the wind increases, having freezing possibilities increase as well.
    --Rabarta: a wave of ice fans out from the user. At higher mastery, the distance and the intensity of the freeze increase.
    --Deband: enhances the shield, armor, and regeneration of the user. At higher mastery, the user is able to enhance other Human, Newman, and CAST.
    --Zalure: suppresses the shield, armor, and regeneration of the target. At higher mastery, the user is able to suppress more targets.

3. Lightning:
    --Zonde: a lightning bolt strikes from above. At higher mastery, more lightning bolts strike at one time.
    --Gizonde: a lightning bolt is emitted from the user and strikes targets one after another. At higher mastery, the number of bolts and their distance increase.
    --Razonde: a lightning bolt spins quickly around the user. At higher mastery, the intensity of the lightning bolt and the effective radius increases.

4. Dark:
    --Megid: a void of darkness is radiated from the user. At higher mastery, the effectiveness and the size of the void increase.

5. Light:
    --Grants: light is drawn into the target and then surges out. At higher mastery, the amount of light drawn in is significantly higher.
    --Resta: heightens regeneration of photons and healing capabilities of the user. At higher mastery, the user can use this technic on others.
    --Anti: purifies the user of some ailments. At higher mastery, the types of ailments broaden and the user can use the technic on others.
    --Reverser: defibrillates a downed target. Cannot revive the dead.
    --Ryuker: enables swift movement from one location to another for user and others, similar to that of a Telepipe.

When regarding all the elements and capabilities, Forces are quite the foes when they start mastering their technics. Even so, there are very few who actually have mastered even three of these technics. As CASTs, we cannot use them, but in return, we have traps that we can set. The traps are fire, poison, slow, freeze, confuse, and heal. Traps are unable to be seen unless the individual is a CAST or has used a field item known as Trap Vision. The only time when anyone outside of the two conditions can see traps is when the trap is engaging a target within its explosion radius.

Traps do not affect the user and his or her registered party. So, if I were to drop a trap now, I can come out of this situation unscathed. However, traps are only temporary. I cannot be relentless with what I use them for, especially since traps can only be refilled by repairs. Considering how repair points are scarce and that I have not seen any, I must conserve them unless it is truly an emergency.

Although that is what I think, the situation is still dire. All I see are eight Organics placed all around me. Their weapons may be lowered but escaping or fighting back has impossible odds. I am a civilian. I especially do not have the physical aptitude as most other CASTs.

Time has passed by, and not a single word was said. We were all standing still. I suppose they have a reason to not eliminate me yet. Maybe I am to be used to lure out more CASTs. Maybe they already know that I am weak.

“Professor Felix has sent us to find you.”

Daddy? I turned to the HUmar who spoke earlier. This one had a sword armed.

“He wanted us to take you home in one piece. We’ll be taking your sister as well.”

My sister, huh? “What is the name of my sister?” For some reason, it was hard to grip my handgun properly. My fingers began to feel itchy.

Suddenly, a loud bang resounded. Everyone gave alert glances about us to find one of the RAmarl drop down to her knees.

A bullet wound between her eyes...

Everyone scrambled for cover. I tried to follow the FOmar but he turned and shifted his staff at me. His staff began to collect electricity. A Zonde technic!? Why? I did not do it! Seeing as how I knew I had no other choice, I lifted my arms and shot at him... and missed!

“Zond--”

The FOmar fell silent when a large object came crashing down from above. It was a loose spire from the ceiling. I looked up to find someone actually shooting at the spires. I traced it to find a shadowed figure in a high place.

Suddenly, a massive force tackled me off my feet, making me lose my breath. When I recovered, I soon realized I was being carried away by a massive person. It is John! He held me to his left as he used his shotgun with his right. Amazing... He is the first I know who can actually shoot a shotgun with just one arm.

“I’m sorry, Fortuna.”

I looked up to him, seeing a massive scratch on the massive horn part of his head. So, even he struggled against them. Has he been following me all the way back here? But I am a civilian. He can survive much longer without me. I am weak.

“Hey, John!”

I raised my head to find a yellow HUcaseal jump down from a boulder and then quickly paced forward to basically jog effortlessly next to us.

“Looks like your friend is safe,” she said with a bit of a nasty laugh. “So, can I kill them now?”

John responded, “Do you what you need to. That RAcaseal might still be there.”

“Aye aye, mon capitan!”

Sprung back into a backwards and turned back to where we came from. Immediately afterwards, she waved her hand up in the air to rally seven HUcast and HUcaseal from their respective hiding places.

Does this mean there is civil war? I bowed my head to the though, but John continued on. Pioneer 2 used to have Human, Newman, and CAST coexist without such things happening onboard. I made a fist and jabbed at John’s abdomen to have him put me down. Once he did, we both walked side by side like earlier before the whole incident with the Organics.

“John,” I said near to a whisper. “Are all CASTs fighting back?”

John paused for a moment. “I would be lying if I said we aren’t, but there are some who’re trying to reconnect diplomatically with Pioneer 2. This’s just the frontlines.”

Just the frontlines? I cannot say that I am pleased with this, but to survive, I suppose we have no other choice. Priority of safety belongs to those who can manage change. What can a civilian do, anyway?

“I think you’re going to like what I found,” John said to me. “It may be in shambles, but with a few fixes, I think we can get it running again.”

I looked up to him. “What is it?”

John looked over his shoulder. “It’s a command module, something similar to the one you control at your former residence.”

My hands immediately shot out from my sides and seized his hand. “Take me to it!” I can rid myself of this feeling--this uselessness!

John scoffed as he noticed my excitement. “It’ll be a while. I’ll tell you the details while we’re heading there, but might I suggest meeting up with the resistance group first?”

I immediately nodded. Yes. Yes! Anything! Please, commanding is my forte. I must do this for our safety!
    Last edited by ARChan; May 6, 2015 at 04:23 PM.

Good to see you're still around, Arc. For a moment, I thought you were doing a reboot. Still kinda funny that there's only one dark technique. Looking forward to more.

Everything is intentional... Or is it? ;P
    I'm working on a fanfic!
    Click here to check it out!

Human (plural = Humans): a bipedal creature which stands on two feet, has two arms, and a head. Hair growth is possible in some sections of the Human and then more locations as they reach puberty. They require food, water, specific air concentration and pressure, exercise, vitamins, and minerals to survive. They also sleep to create a source of energy. Their complex and heavy maintenance designs are difficult to repair but they are capable of intelligence and adaptability to their surroundings and even mechanized limbs.

Newman (plural = Newmen): they are common to Humans with distinguishing features of Human youth, a wide variety of hair colors, and long, pointy ears. Their overall intelligence is significantly higher than Humans. Even so, their personalities are typically submissive or aggressive, though it seems they are more in tune with nature than any other race. Each Newman has a variable lifespan, most natural deaths being spontaneous no matter how healthy the Newman was.

Organic: a grouping term that CASTs use for both Humans and Newmen since most CASTs have difficulty distinguishing Human and Newman from each other. However, for some reason, Humans tend to overreact to this term and think of it as derogatory.

CAST (plural = CASTs): humanoid robotics that lived to maintain the peace in Pioneer 2. A vast majority of us live under the care of an Organic and are not supposed to have emotions. It is common knowledge to know that CASTs live due to ether filtering, which is why CASTs are able to live for longer periods of time. Ether to a CAST is food, water, exercise, vitamins, minerals, and sleep. In other words, we are always healthy. Ether can be found in the air in trace amounts, which is why it is common to see CASTs breath like Organics. Also, ether can be found in food, allowing CASTs to appreciate a spaghetti meal or even apples. Personally, my favorite food would be strawberry products--but that is another story of its own. So, seeing a CAST consume a Monomate should not be a worry. It is when indigestion happens... But that is a different story too.

So, keeping these terms in mind, John and I kept traveling deeper into Ragol to find this machine that he discovered. Excitement was especially coming over me when I started to feel important suddenly. However, as I continued to express my excitement to John, it seemed to worry him for some reason. I began to feel like he was being reluctant to doing this task.

After traveling through trashy sectors of the mechanized labyrinth, we came upon what seemed to be a refurbished and cleaned sector. Nostalgia started to come back to me as I started walking upon photon platforms. I just wish the void beside me would be filled. Sure, John is here, but he is not the one. Who used to stand here?

“John, there you are.”

We both turned to find a RAcaseal pacing up to us from behind without really lifting her feet off the floor. She smiled to us, especially to me. She came forward to me and was evidently examining me like a Rappy being curious with a newfound object. Speaking of which, she was yellow like one. Her head type had twin antennae that appeared to be like a Rag Rappy’s head feathers. I have to admit that she does look cute.

She held a yellow fan before her and fanned her face with it. It seems to have an intense photon reading from it. Hmm... It also smells like a Rappy too. Where have I smelled a Rappy before?

“John,” she said as her eyes were on me like a hawk, “who’s your friend here?”

He exchanged glances with me and said, “Fortuna, meet Chickie.”

She stomped her foot. “It’s Chiaki!”

He folded his arms as he turned away from her. “Right. I forgot. Anyway--”

“Johnny!”

He immediately turned back to her with his arms folded and leaned forward to level eyes with her. “What do you want?” he said in a deathly low tone.

She patted his head and said with the most ridiculous smile I have ever seen, “You’re needed at the council as soon as possible. They want to discuss your application to the Court.”

“Finally...” He fixed himself upright and looked up to the distant black ceiling. “We’re going to be fine. I can see it now.” He lowered his sights down to Chiaki and then patted her head. “Thanks for letting me know.”

She giggled. “Righty-o, Johnny Bro.”

His hand then brandished into a knuckle and rammed it against her head. “You little...!”

So, John does have a different side to him instead of being task oriented. Although John seemed to be angered by Chiaki’s retorts, it was like watching two siblings play together. Siblings...

I felt an enormous void beside me. I took a quick glance onto find it unoccupied. What was I expecting? Even though I can see emptiness, I still reached out...

“Fortuna?”

My hand stopped in its place as I glanced to my side, seeing Chiaki jabbed out with her folded fan to my face. Rappy...

“Fortuna,” Chiaki said with an enormous smile, “You’re going to be my operator, huh?”

Operator: a person who assists a field unit with intelligence. However, few operate drones since drones tend to fall prey to enemies when they become aware of them. Recently, operators are more interactive with the field units via their arm interfaces. Now that I think about it, Principal Tyrell’s Hero had an operator once upon a time, but the name was not disclosed.

John had his arms folded and apparently facing me. He said, “Yes, this is why I considered you for operating a terminal. You’re going to be Chiaki’s operator.”

Chiaki, huh? I pressed a finger over my lips. My thumb lined my chin. Technically, she is a mechanical piece of work. She does have yellow as her primary color So... the same thing should not happen again, right? I then poked her nose with the hand I held to my face, but before I can even touch her, her mouth opened wide and nibbled my fingertip.

... What?

As odd as this is, her tongue rolled around my finger, sending odd sensations inside me. Wait, why was I doing this? Her hands cuffed around mine. Why am I letting her do this? I retrieved my finger, finding liquid ether on my finger. It smelled minty...

A thundering boom of someone clearing his throat resounded. We both turned our sights to see John still with his arms folded.

“What you two do in your spare time is up to you. However, now is not the time to play around.”

Suddenly, arms came over my shoulders and entrapped me in their clutches. “You’re so serious! I hope you think of something funny in that metal rack of yours.”

... An odd wave of comfort came over me as I felt her breaths to the base of my neck. I noticed too late when John began watching me. I bowed my head to hide my embarrassment.

Next thing I knew, Chiaki’s arms were pried open and then I was pulled forward into another set of arms. My head collided with the metal plate of his chest though...

Chiaki gave a wild laugh. “Oh! She’s that one!” The way she emphasized “that” was peculiar.

Immediately, John turned with an arm guiding me away from Chiaki, but she followed us with a wide smile. I glanced around us to find the place more populated than before. There were more CASTs of different types walking about and talking as if we were all back on Pioneer 2. In fact, the scene was an attempt to familiarity of Pioneer 2’s main public district without vehicles roaming about. I suppose we are coming closer to the resistance base. The area became cleaner as we came deeper. More areas were fixed and polished. It was hard to believe that this was even an abandoned mining area due to how busy and lively the place has become. People were carrying on about their lives as if they were in no such danger. However, only CASTs populated the scene.

Somewhere toward the center of the main plaza, there was a familiar statue of a Cast who held his hand up to the air as if reaching for some otherworldly force above him. At the base of the statue, there was an inscription. “CAST SUPREMACY” was written in Old Pioneerian. John waved a hand over the space between the two words, having an odd entrance open up to us. It seemed he did not really care that there was a large population walking to and fro behind us.

We came into what appeared to evidently be a decontamination room. Chiaki was behind us, evidently watching my every move. Once my attention was noticed, she smiled and winked at me. Just what was she plotting?

Once the chemicals were done spraying us and ridding of foreign contaminants, we were lowered down a few levels, having us come to a clunky halt. I glanced around us, expecting another door to open, but all the walls rose instead. We were standing on a raised platform with three stairways leading downward. Monitors populated the side, wires dangled from the ceiling, and strange rods stood out from eight ports around what appeared to be a large mechanical throne underneath where we entered.

... Wait... I know this design. It is the same major design as the main AIs onboard Pioneer 2. To think I would actually set foot before such a device was awe inspiring. I stepped forward and felt along the plates, ultimately to the place where I am to command. It appeared to be more of a coffin. Upon inspecting the structure, it seemed there were three other capsules identical to first. Something about this was ominous.

John came beside me and informed, “This terminal was modeled after the recycled remains of Vol Opt.”

Vol Opt: one of the three main AIs onboard Pioneer 1. Its siblings are Olga and Calus. Apparently, Vol Opt became rampant upon The Tragedy and caused all the machines to turn against anyone who dared to brave through the mines. Because of this, the mines immediately became dangerous to most, causing civilians to limit their movements to be as deep as the caves. Hunter and Military alike could not stop Vol Opt. However, Principal Tyrell’s Hero managed to destroy Vol Opt single-handedly, furthering the hero’s notoriety.

The remains should have stayed where it was, but to consider the parts will be recycled for my own use was beyond belief. I will be able to control everything in the mines with just this terminal, assuming that the AI’s connections are still intact. To think a civilian like me would actually be able to control such a thing... A grin marked my face.

“John,” I said with my hand lining the coffin, “are you sure this terminal is for my individual use?”

John shook his head. “First, we need to make sure you’re actually compatible with this prototype.”

My hand stopped in its tracks. “Prototype?”

John folded his arms and bowed his head. “Yes...” He paused but he knew what I was going to ask next. “The emotions of the individual will amplify exponentially. As much as I do not want to risk your life, you’re the best candidate we have now due to how calm and collected you appear to be.”

This terminal really is a coffin to some, and I knew he was hiding details. Even so, to control equipment like Vol Opt sounds exciting. I turned to John and gave him a nod.

“Are you sure you’re--?”

“She said she’s ready,” Chiaki interrupted.

John glanced from Chiaki and then me. I nodded again but became hesitant when I looked up to John. He paused for a moment but nodded as a result. As time passed by, strength mustered within me. Then, I stepped into the terminal and lay back as how the capsule was designed. Once I was in, Chiaki mounted my waist and leaned forward as her hands pressed down underneath my shoulders.

“I’ll be here for a while to make sure you’re okay. Please calm down and breath for a while. Just give me a poke from the terminal if you got things under control, okay?”

She is the reason I would not be calm. I nodded so she would dismount me, but she gave me a peck to my cheek.

“You can do this. I have faith in you.”

With that, she finally dismounted me. What is wrong with her, anyway? ... No. Have to remain stable. I know I can do this. Stay calm. I have to control Vol Opt. It is for CASTkind.

“PLEASE INPUT A NAME.”

Before I could even attempt an interface, the name “FUTURA” was entered. With that, I was given access. Immediately afterwards, numerous screens flashed before me. By the slightest movement of my eye, a new scene appeared.

“WELCOME BACK, FUTURA. IT SEEMS YOU HAVE BEEN GONE FOR A WHILE. HERE IS MY CURRENT REPORT:

NUMEROUS INTRUDERS HAVE INFILTRATED MINE SHAFT 9. PLEASE INPUT A COMMAND.”

Before I can interface again, “VIEW” was entered. What is happening? It is like the inputs are always the first thing on my mind regarding the topic at hand. A screen widened for me to see in at least twenty views. They are three Organics. It seems they are armed and dragging three CAST corpses. How can they do such a thing!?

“EXTERMINATING.”

Six Sinow units dropped down from the walls and immediately ambushed the Organics. They attempted to retreat but they were all slashed and exterminated on spot. I stared at the Sinow units... Sinow Beat units can cloak themselves, which they did.

... So, Vol Opt was able to control all these machines while everyone was investigating the mines. I do not know how I can do this. It requires a much faster processor.

“SHOW: CHIAKI.”

A screen came into few, showing her standing next to my capsule as she had said. Her hands held onto each other as she kept a faint smile on her face.

“COMMUNICATE: CHIAKI.”

“--cute... I wonder if she’ll ever find out. John did a good job escorting her, but I didn’t expect this to happen. I hate this.”

“Chiaki?” I called out.

She raised her head and gave fleeting glances around her. “Fortuna?”

“MONITOR: CHIAKI.” With this command, I was able to discover her energy rating and inventory. She is operating on such dangerously low energy! How come--Her legs! How is she even standing?

“SENDING: REPAIR TERMINAL.”

A flat white device emitting a green light appeared in the room. It also had a red cross on it as well. I think that is the repair terminal.

“Step under the device, Chiaki. I’ll fix you.”

She took glances to locate the device and did as I said. Once she did this, problem in her system were identified. Her legs were in terrible shape and her energy I/O device is frantic. It is almost a miracle that she was standing. No matter. She is safe with me.

“Fortuna..."

“Yes, Chiaki?”

She smiled as the ring lowered to her legs and rapidly fitted her legs with microfittings and injecting ether. “I think you will be a fine operator, but there is one thing that I must warn you about.” Her smile became bleak. “Please, don’t...”

I watched her as she bowed her head... I have not really acknowledged how she looked like until now. Her head was adorned with large petal-like plates and had golden hair. She actually had a main color scheme of orange with a subcolor of yellow. Her waist was adorned with a skirt that exposed the front and a metallic bow to the rear. She had black shin-high socks and matching shorts that went down mid-thigh. She also had a Purplenum crest for her section ID found on the anterior upper thorax, just like all other Caseals.

“Fortuna?”

“I am here, Chiaki.”

She giggled and hugged herself tightly. “... Fortuna...”

What is she doing? “Chiaki?”

One of her eyes part and looked over to my body. “It feels odd always being watched by someone. In a way, it’s kind of kinky.”

I thought a little bit of what she said and responded, “No, that is just you.”

Her playful nature is like a breath of fresh air. It does not cease to amuse me, though I wish she would be easier to predict.

Some time later after repairs were finished, I finally ejected myself from the terminal. Chiaki was there to greet me with a kiss to my cheek, but I simply sat there in awe of what just happened. I felt powerful unlike how I have ever felt before. I saw everyone in one instant. I was omnipotent!

“So, Fortuna.” Chiaki took a seat next to me and shifted herself to touch my arm with hers, coming uncomfortably close. Maybe this is how she communicates with other people as well. “Want me to show you to our residence?”

Our residence? “Does this mean operator and vessel live in the same residence?”

She paused for a moment. “I suppose that’s one way to think about it, we mustn’t break the trend.” She leaned closer to me, close enough to see my reflection from her eyes. “Not unless you want to stay here, of course. Just be sure to limit your uses. Everyone always has been lucky on their first try.”

I bowed my head. “I suppose...”

Chiaki giggled briefly as she slipped off the bed and landed on her feet. “Wow, it doesn’t hurt when I do that anymore.” She spun and twirled on her feet, almost as if figure skating. She ended with her side facing me and her hands behind her. One of her feet was lax whereas the other bore the weight. “Let’s go somewhere, Fortuna.”

I did not cease to think as I stepped off the bed and joined Chiaki. She led me to the decontamination room, but there was something that bothered me. I cannot seem to put my finger on it. The door opened vertically as it let out a hiss. Vol Opt... Why did it go rampant? Maybe if I control this terminal again, I will know what drove it insane.