Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default My PSO story, looking for reviews, crossing my fingers

I'm a long time PSO vet here looking to come outta retirement and renew my hunters license lol. I have played 3 or 4 of the Phantasy Stars on master system, in the RPG days and Bought my PSO copy on launch day for the Dreamcast...(ahh the dream cast, good little ol exploitable system lol) and popped it in and was hooked for years! No game was like this that i had ever seen! Played PSO, ver 2, and ver 4 (blue burst) until i was blue in the face and loved every minute of it. But you finally get tired of a game and move on as I did to Ragnarok, FFXI, and more recently Terra.
    After the dissapointment of Phantasy Star Universe, god knows i tried to like that game, i had pretty much given up hope since Sega had thrown in the towel on systems..*sniff* I figured it was done for, and i know there are DS titles and what not out there, but DS is just not my thing. But low and behold i read on a forum of ...PSO 2 is coming out!!!!! I nearly shit my pants on the intro, and as soon as i saw a glimpse of the gameplay a flood of memories and nostalgia came rushing back, brought a tear to my eye lol. It looks to me what PSU SHOULD have been. And i realize you can ...err worm your way into the Japanese Servers I only found out about this game a couple months ago, so since its slated for PC in January I'll just wait for the english release.

Ok enough rambling, MY MAIN question is, for those who have played on the Japanese Servers, how is it? I wanna hear all perspectives, from those who played the original, to those who had never played the PSO series before. Please give details and reason's why you like or dont like the game, not just a simple, It ROCKS!! or IT SUCKS. Give a rating also on a one to ten scale.

The reason I liked PSO so well was the Action style combat, REAL TIME fighting Based on skill, not just stats. I still think they were way ahead of the times with this as most newer MMORpg's are just now taking on this style. Ragnarok was very Fast paced too which is why i liked it so well, FFXI .... eh I tried several times at that game and it just couldnt hold my interest. All i remember was ages of running across the land and every battle seeming like it took hours and standing around waiting for parties... Terra is action based not a bad game, pretty plain in gameplay though, doesnt stand out amongst the crowd.

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

I actually wrote a review a while back:
    "PSO2 JP is a very fun game, given it's limited content. You can currently only level to level 40, and the amount of areas is still somewhat lacking. I managed to level to level 40 in around 200 hours. The game's grinding system, is an obnoxious NPC named Doo-Doo. The success odds of successfully grinding an item tend to be very low, and the RNG is a biased ****. When a grind fails your item's grind will either go down by x amount of grinds, or nothing will happen to it. When a grind succeeds it will raise your item's stats up, and put a +x mark behind it indicating the grind level, with the highest being +10. The drop system is well, the rarest item I've found is the best rifle in the game. However I found it on a class that can't use it. There have been many reports of people finding rare items that they don't need, because of their class. The player shops are a part of the game that requires you to pay to use. You can still buy items off of them, but you can't make any money off them. Unlocking new missions and areas can also be a pain, as it requires you to go through time trials. And whilst the time trials for unlocking new areas have been toned down, the time trials for unlocking new missions has not. Client orders allow you to more quickly gain exp and meseta(the ingame currency system), however there are quite a few that are a pain to do. Skill trees allow you to customize your classes, to you liking. The downside to skill trees is that they require you to level up in order to put a single point into it. The game also has an NPC system that allows you to make an NPC of your character, which your friends can take with them on missions to earn FUN. FUN is a point system, you use it to draw FUN scratch cards. FUN scratch cards cost 100 FUN, and they can give one of many items randomly. You can also earn FUN by logging in consecutively each day, and sending "Good Jobs" to other players(I would recommend sending them to you friends with a message attached to get the most FUN points). You can also add attributes and increase your items element at the same counter as grinding. However attribute addition has the same problems as grinding. Armor comes from three different items, a back unit, an arm unit, and a leg unit. Weapons are restricted by classes, there are Hunters(melee), Rangers(long-ranged), and Forces(mage). You can also change your character's appearance in-game at the fashion counter, however a large portion of it is AC content, so get it right the first time. AC is the real money currency in this game(cash shop currency), 1 AC = 1 Yen."
    The level cap is 50 now though, so some it is inaccurate now.

ok i have a couple of questions now.... in the old PSO days we had Something called Section ID's this was giving to you based on your Name. for instance if i Create the character Sammickk, his ID would be Whitall, which DETERMINES your Rares, is this not in this game??
    LOL Doo-doo??? ok granted it used to be call a Tekker that ID's your weapons attributes, and Grinders, di grinders, and trigrinders that NEVER failed, i actually like the Idea that it can fail and have become quite used to this as most games have this now days anyway.
    Now the skill tree system is definitely different for PSO! All ya had to do is hunt tech disks in the old days, but I'll see how this new system goes... As for the FUN system and being able to make an NPC to take down with you.....WHY? aren't there enough people online to play with? i guess its all for the Items but seems kinda silly to me.
    i plan on Buying this game and actually paying some money into it, to support the game and Sega/Phantasy star team.. so this is not an issue for me at all, BUT how is it done? is there a free account and a Premium account or what?

Im an oldschool PSO player. The game expands on a lot of proper PSO foundations but at the same time incorporates a lot of the new commonly found MMO parts. Trust me, theyre ironing out the details but you will love it if you're an old PSO player. At least, for my experience that was true.

I absolutely love this game. But not in the sense that it is anything like PSO1. If you come to it expecting a cool new version of PSO1, expect to be disappointed. Instead, expect a cool new version of PSU.

I played PSU briefly. I didn't like the class system. And I never got into it until after US servers shut down so reading anything was beyond my capabilities. So I took a break and hopped on and off from some private server for PSOBB (which I still happen to hop onto occasionally).

But I play this game on the JP servers and absolutely love it. To the point where I'm dumping money into it. I kinda wish I had waited until english release, like you are doing, so that I can actually read the story and understand everything, but I've already spent so much time in this game that switching will be unlikely (unless I get banned or something, somehow).

Of course, it has its cons- most of which are related to the premium system, so lets go through a list:

Pros-
    -New battle system is incredible. Much more fast paced than PSO1, and the variety of different skills and paths a player may take makes it so that you can play your own style if you arent one of the people who go for the 'best'
    -lots of content, weapons and what not keep you interested. content gets released rather quickly too
    -graphics. dear god the graphics shit on the previous games. its too bad i cant run more than the simple pixels what with my broken graphics card >
    -meseta actually has value!

Cons-
    -No trading what-so-ever, unless you pay about 16 bucks a month. Find loots you want to give to your friends? Well you cant unless both of you are paying for it. Items even soulbind when you use them (rare weapons and armor) so after you use something, you're stuck with it and cant trade/sell it (except to vendor) anymore

I'm sure theres more that im leaving out but those are the main concepts. Look forward to playing this game. Chances are you will be hooked for a while, but might get bored or irritated after a while when you find you have the worst luck in the game (like myself) and finding good weapons is impossible leaving you with shit D:

But i still play it even though thats the case lol The drop rates seem to be something along the lines of what they were in the dreamcast days, or worse

I do miss the older games, though. The crazy exp grinds and item hunts. Single path boss runs, with no infinite spawning rooms, etc. The fact that you can just farm the same area for 4 hours straight, is kinda, well, lame (although its all i do). But back in the older games, the social aspects seemed more apparent. It could be the language barrier or whatever, but either way, i see more people playing single player rooms, part of an MPA, as opposed to doing quests together with new people.
    Last edited by Eternal255; Oct 24, 2012 at 01:17 PM.

Since I love this game I cannot be objective so I will just list what I don't like:

- The music is not very good. Compared to EP1, 2, 3 and 4 it is a total letdown.
    - I miss the feeling of progression. While in EP1 you could go from forest to falz in PSO2 you usually play one zone for a long time. Yes there are Time Attack modes that have similar progression as PSO1 had but it's hard to find game for these and you cannot join when in progress.

Other than that I have nothing to complain about. As you already said, this is what PSU should have been.

Also with the english patch available I don't see why you don't just test it yourself. Check bumped.org for guides on getting you started.

See you online, either on the jp version or the international version...

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

This was my review from Closed Beta.
    I guess it's still somewhat accurate about now:
    http://ayumispender.deviantart.com/j...view-299468650

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclearrow View Post
    Im an oldschool PSO player. The game expands on a lot of proper PSO foundations but at the same time incorporates a lot of the new commonly found MMO parts. Trust me, theyre ironing out the details but you will love it if you're an old PSO player. At least, for my experience that was true.
    THIS is what a was Hoping to hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal255 View Post
    Cons-
    -No trading what-so-ever, unless you pay about 16 bucks a month. Find loots you want to give to your friends? Well you cant unless both of you are paying for it. Items even soulbind when you use them (rare weapons and armor) so after you use something, you're stuck with it and cant trade/sell it (except to vendor) anymore

I'm sure theres more that im leaving out but those are the main concepts. Look forward to playing this game. Chances are you will be hooked for a while, but might get bored or irritated after a while when you find you have the worst luck in the game (like myself) and finding good weapons is impossible leaving you with shit D:

But i still play it even though thats the case lol The drop rates seem to be something along the lines of what they were in the dreamcast days, or worse.
    Even though i am going to pay the 16 to help support this game (if it deserves it of coarse) THe trading thing is kinda lame can u at least drop items on the floor and let them pick it up? Doubt it lol just thought i'd ask. and In My opinion.... hunting treasures and kicking Booma/shark/Bot/ruin monster ass is mostly what PSO was about for me...so i think i'm gonna like it allot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammickk View Post
    can u at least drop items on the floor and let them pick it up? Doubt it lol just thought i'd ask.
    You can drop recovery items, but that's it
    Known as Niem on Ship 2.
    Spoiler!