Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    Repetitive? Absolutely. You replayed the same 4 dungeons over and over.

Boring? Not on your life. Content was paced so well that there was always something exciting right around the corner. That's something the designers behind PSO2 can't seem to grasp.
    I wouldn't call the same map every time with the same spawns every time well paced with something always exciting around the corner. That being said, the game was still awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Link1275 View Post
    PSO1 was repetitive and boring up until Ultimate too.
    Exactly. It really was. What made it enjoyable below ultimate was that many of us genuinely liked the story it told, even if we weren't reading it outright as we played it again and again. I like stories where you're chasing someone else, and reading it long after it's been written. It gives an ancient, mysterious vibe, like what you're following knows you're coming and doesn't want you there.

But that wasn't in PSU. I didn't get the enjoyability of feeling that story each time I played, even if it wasn't in the story mode. It's also not in PSO2. They both do have stories, but not ones I like quite as much. Other people might, of course, but they're not my favorites.

Of course, when I got to ultimate the game changed considerably, but only barely at the same time. It was a matter of changing strategy. Which is also what keeps me on PSO2 - different classes, PA combos, tactics in general, etc.

re: exciting around corners
    That wasn't specifically map design, which was changed up between quests by the level designers. They had 2-3 layouts, but could change spawn patterns, where you entered, the routes you had to take, where locks were, etc. The same layout could be used a dozen times in as many quests and be different every time. The only thing that tended to stay the same was enemy spawns, and even those varied between each quest. You're talking about just running the same thing over and over, but I'm not. You didn't need to, each area had tons of quests you could do there.

No, what was exciting around every corner was the mixture of the well paced leveling - it stayed consistently challenging for your level, not too easy and not too hard - and the items. Each run you were likely to find something, and it would be good as soon as you picked it up. Now finding a rare is finding something that will suck horribly until you drop anywhere between 100k to 10m meseta on it...and 10m meseta still isn't an assured +10. Finding a rare is finding a chore.

Boring? Not on your life. Content was paced so well that there was always something exciting right around the corner. That's something the designers behind PSO2 can't seem to grasp.

It's funny because ultimate is actually where it starts to turn into a slog. It felt like the forced extension of a finished experience.
    See i agree here it was very repetative, but definitley not Boring for me, took a looooong time for me to get tired of it anyway. so with that said i don't think the repetativeness will be what brings PSO2 down for me, it will be something else if anything... still hoping, btw i see there is a new content update for november announced.. nice!
    MY Rig: 2600K Sandy Brige, Gigabyte Ud7 Motherboard, 2 Geforce GTX580 in SLI Mode, 8 gigs Ramm

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

It's funny because ultimate is actually where it starts to turn into a slog. It felt like the forced extension of a finished experience.
    I only started out on PSO1 a year or two ago, so yeah, Normal to Very Hard was boring to me.

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post

No, what was exciting around every corner was the mixture of the well paced leveling - it stayed consistently challenging for your level, not too easy and not too hard - and the items. Each run you were likely to find something, and it would be good as soon as you picked it up. Now finding a rare is finding something that will suck horribly until you drop anywhere between 100k to 10m meseta on it...and 10m meseta still isn't an assured +10. Finding a rare is finding a chore.
    this is what I meant by well paced content. The weapons were especially well done. When you found your first brand it was an enormous jump in power and your damage output increased significantly. Sega was clever in that as you moved up the rarity/power tiers your blade would change color, employing a visual representation to your growth. In PSO2 there is no such visual progression. You can no longer even tell if a weapon is stronger by looking at it.

The PA system in PSO2 is also really confusing as certain PAs do an extraordinary amount of damage and the player loses track of how much their basic damage output is to begin with. In PSO1 the difference between doing 30 and 40 damage meant the world. Here, while your basic attack might do 150 damage, your fancy PA will somehow land 500 damage making the whole thing just seem random and uncoordinated. And all people do is spam PAs anyway. It all starts to feel sloppy and cheap as opposed to focused and deliberate.

It's these kinds of things that make me retroactively appreciate PSO1 so much more.

And one big spoiler box again. this is an answer to a previous Agitated_AT post.

Spoiler!

Edit:
    this is what I meant by well paced content. The weapons were especially well done. When you found your first brand it was an enormous jump in power and your damage output increased significantly. Sega was clever in that as you moved up the rarity/power tiers your blade would change color, employing a visual representation to your growth. In PSO2 there is no such visual progression. You can no longer even tell if a weapon is stronger by looking at it.
    I totally agree on this. PSO had a really nice way of making you feel progression through weapons, unlike PSO 2. I must say though, that weapon evolution IS present in PSO 2 too. Not only do weapons change color, their appearance is also slightly modified(generally they're longer/bigger), which a nice touch. You should see the lastest gigush(I think they're named gigush?), it's just ridiculously big. Too bad it's mostly worthless though.

The PA system in PSO2 is also really confusing as certain PAs do an extraordinary amount of damage and the player loses track of how much their basic damage output is to begin with. In PSO1 the difference between doing 30 and 40 damage meant the world. Here, while your basic attack might do 150 damage, your fancy PA will somehow land 500 damage making the whole thing just seem random and uncoordinated. And all people do is spam PAs anyway. It all starts to feel sloppy and cheap as opposed to focused and deliberate.
    To this I do not. Knowing the exact damage you deal is kind of useless unless you know the ennemies hp by heart anyway. So having a vague idea of it is enough, and it's pretty easy even in PSO2.
    Also, what about missing in PSO? And let's not forget critical hits. These are the definition of random. While it might have been easier to know what exact damage you'd deal, there was a chance for it to be nullified or amplified. Not to mention hard attacks, which had a higher missing chance that you couldn't fully estimate at any moment. This has nothing to do with the player's skill, while in PSO 2 very little is random, and your ability as a player to keep your damage output in check is what's important.
    It might take a little dedication, but personally, I have perfect grasp of the damage I deal, and almost always know if I need a PA or a normal attack to finish off a monster. I don't think I'm the only one either, so it mustn't be that hard.

The rest of what you said, you'd have to blame the game's simplicity, not the PA system. It's the reason people can spam PA like no tomorrow and get away with it. Monsters just die too fast. While it's true that some PA deal too much damage, it would still be far less of a problem if ennemies had more HP, in multiparty especially.
    Last edited by Cyclon; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Link1275 View Post
    PSO1 was repetitive and boring up until Ultimate too.
    Ok so i'll give you the right to your subjective views, but you can atleast admit that there were differences between the modes?

@Cyclon

I disagree with most of what you said, but I don't think repeating my point over and over again would bring anything to our conversation so I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

Let me just clear up 2 points:

Yeah, TTF was a gamebreaker, but it also proves the point how something like that can ruin a whole game(as is the case right now in PSO2)
    Episode 2 and 4 were great but some of it's content was harder than what you gained from them.
    Last edited by Agitated_AT; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM.