Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

It's important not to confuse pessimism and realism. Most of the disaster scenarios that plague these forums have a solid basis under them, unlike the "this time it'll be different, because Sega is in even more trouble financially than before, and absolutely nothing else has changed" attitude. But of course, for some people, word "experience" doesn't exist outside of RPG games.

imagine that maybe by "america and europoe will have their server", the game creator meant something like "a ship" or something that includes the japanese client and the stuff you have already form jp versions, so we get to keep our stuff and all that still. That would be awesome.

This thread is a huge joke. It goes without saying that the reason there is so little optimism for the western release is that ALL the people who hacked all the previous incarnations will likely be interested in PSO2 and want to do it all over again. Plus the long history of way overdue content.

But I like to be optimistic. I am really trying to be optimistic about it, so I will say that I have many friends looking forward to the western release of PSO2 and they will all be pissed if there's as much abuse as there was in the previous incarnations. God bless them, too, because they all tried the JP version with the English patch and it was too frustrating for them to continue. (like a team of 12 of us... only me and one other is left. ;A; )

I will be moving to Japan very soon, so this will not affect me. But I really really wish SEGA would make it so my friends and I could play together in different regions.

I think that SEGA is going to have to handle this game differently than previous titles, because it's going to be free to play from the very beginning. It's no longer just a matter of localizing the game and sticking it on store shelves. If they want the game to be profitable in the US and Europe, they will be smart to show those releases the same level of support that the Japanese version is getting right now.

As the release draws closer, we'll definitely be encouraging that kind of commitment when we talk to our contacts at SEGA. Ultimately, though, we'll all just have to wait and see. It should be interesting.

Its going to be entirely too easy to play the game without the language barrier. Plus payments methods are are going to be simple and direct without having to jump thru hoops. Who would want that? It would lose its PSO2 feel.
    I am a kubara product.

Quote Originally Posted by MUDGRIP View Post
    Its going to be entirely too easy to play the game without the language barrier. Plus payments methods are are going to be simple and direct without having to jump thru hoops. Who would want that? It would lose its PSO2 feel.
    Well that's sort of irrelevant to the Japanese, and they seem to love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonix9 View Post
    since the majority of the people on this board are Japanese.
    I am a kubara product.

Free to play games succeed for different reasons here in the west. Sega will either use that and modify PSO2 accordingly, or they'll scratch their heads while wondering why their korean mmo fared as badly as all the other korean mmo's released in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonix9 View Post
    I'm thinking that was some sarcasm...I hope. Joking aside, accessibility is the key to garnering a large audience. The more intuitive the interface the less likely people are to become frustrated and lose interest. This will be another key factor for the English release which will fall into the localization discussion. Luckily the UI is one of the easier things to change in a game as we've seen with the aforementioned English patch.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Free to play games succeed for different reasons here in the west. Sega will either use that and modify PSO2 accordingly, or they'll scratch their heads while wondering why their korean mmo fared as badly as all the other korean mmo's released in the west.

A strong point to be sure. I've played and passed up many a grind fest here and there but I will argue 2 points for Sega

first- "Its Sega" or more precisely the name brand i.e. "Sega's Phantasy Star". My point being PSO2 will reach a lot of people because Sega fans will eat it up... and Sega fans are a rabid and scary fan base. Just search your name along with the word "sonic" in deviant art for a demonstration of this devotion.

Second- From what I've seen its a quality game. This denotes a number of things that give me more words than I care to muster so to be brief I'll just outline them. It has unique and engaging controls, It has a varied and colorful art style and the world(s) it portrays is deep and pulls you into what can best be described as the Phantasy Star atmosphere.

Go back to forest 1 in PSO for a variable comparison.
    Last edited by May0; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Don't judge a manga by its anime

Brazilians will probably take a liking to a US server over JP as well. Probably. That should be fun.