Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure?

Default Adventure?

I've just now realized what's missing from this game that PSO had... It's a sense of grand adventure. Even within the grind of PSO, that sense was there, but PSO2 feels like... a job. The ARKS organization is a cleansing crew, destroying the native population of other worlds, robbing their resources, and installing its own people, and my character then is just a tool.

Of course, this is one man's perspective and I'd love to be wrong, but I can't enjoy myself when I think of it this way and I so badly want to enjoy the game. So what do I do? How can I capture that sense of adventure?

Play PSO.

Oh come on now, I'm trying to usher in some constructive discourse here. We get plenty of your type comments, Olaf, and it's obviously not appreciated and you've brought nothing to the table.

Damn straight, why should a sequel have any resemblance to the game that succeeded enough to warrant a sequel?

PSO2 should in no way, shape, or form be similar to PSO1, lest someone cry "nostalgia!" Don't like something about this game? Don't let anyone know to see if they agree and perhaps let the people who will make the next story know what you would find fun, just disappear and do what Big Olaf said.

But really, I agree. We're pretty much just killing everything for sport and any sense of exploration is absent until you get to ruins, at which point the environment finally provokes a smidgen of thought beyond what is asked on screen in the handful of story quests.

Quote Originally Posted by LordChampion View Post
    Oh come on now, I'm trying to usher in some constructive discourse here. We get plenty of your type comments, Olaf, and it's obviously not appreciated and you've brought nothing to the table.
    Oh, you flatter me.

But really, PSO2 isn't the same kind of game. It's not really meant to be a "mysterious, atmospheric, immersive adventure" like PSO was. It's more akin to a fast-paced, pick-up-and-play arcade title.

I can understand that, Olaf, for sure. I'm looking for more PURPOSE in the pick-up-and-play environment, I suppose, not simply pining for what was.

I'm not sure how atmospheric & immersive is mutually exclusive to fast-paced or pick-up-and-play.

I think it's more likely that they just didn't put in the effort to create better, more appealing, and more interesting environments. They did what was passable.

In PSO1, most people start their first time in offline mode I think that is why you feel more of adventure. Because if you suddently start online, you might join into the room that beat forest in 5 min, cave in 10 min, and all speed rushing kill everything. How would that make you feel of any adventure-like?

If you start it back in the DC day with offline mode like me, you would get a lot of feeling of progression, you explore forest more and more via quest, and then you finally reach the end to kill dragon, very good impression!

May be this game may feel more adventure like if they force you to progress story to unlock new area. But they will only get more complain from people who wanna do thing quickly.

"ARIKAー戦隊, 参上!!" (click it!)
    Arika     @US server | Arika-chan @JP server

isn't adventuring is finding boxes of treasure and fighting mobs?
    - digitalDreamer -