Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is this game a prequel?

Hi, sorry. I'm new to the Phantasy Star series, (This being my first game) so I really don't know much about the storyline. I tried reading through wikis, but I'm left confused. Is this a beginning to the entire series or just the Online/Universe games?

Also, why are the allies in this game so useless? :P

Yeah, it's a prequel. I guess that's what the Zero implies. My default knowledge on this game fades me at the moment, but someone else should be able to answer why it is a prequel better than me. If you've finished the game, go attempt the second Dark Shrine quest; it has quite a bit of valuable info

As for the allies, I feel like if they were any stronger, you'd be able to hide behind them and let them do all the work. But yeah, you're right :P The only thing they're good for is being a meatshield. Sarisa heals once in a while, and if you main a CAST, then Kai can provide Shifta. Ogi is pretty decent, but I didn't bring him along in the gun-resistance areas (namely, Paru and Gurhacia) Reve has no defense, and dies more often than any other ally in my experiences.

Mystelle - Level 100 FOmarl
    ~Art by Daggart~

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

PSZ is what happened to the people that didn't get to go to Ragol I think. It could also tie into PS I-IV, or PSU somehow though...

There's a few people on here that know a lot about all the plots, and can go in depth pretty far about how it's connected with the others.

But yes, it is a prequel. I'll see if I can dig up an old thread that talks about it.

EDIT: Here you go, he's the last one we talked about.
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/show...ighlight=story

If you play PSO Ep 1-4, PSZ takes place a few hundred years before on a planet called Coral. Eventually, they started the Pioneer project, noticing that Coral would not last forever. PSO ep 1 starts you out on Pioneer II, with bits and pieces of the story of Pioneer I, Red Ring Rico and the first visits to Ragol. Also, it seems like PSZ takes place a few hundred years after the events of Phantasy Star II, I believe.
    Last edited by FOODFOOD; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post
    There's a few people on here that know a lot about all the plots, and can go in depth pretty far about how it's connected with the others.

But yes, it is a prequel. I'll see if I can dig up an old thread that talks about it.

If you play PSO Ep 1-4, PSZ takes place a few hundred years before on a planet called Coral. Eventually, they started the Pioneer project, noticing that Coral would not last forever. PSO ep 1 starts you out on Pioneer II, with bits and pieces of the story of Pioneer I, Red Ring Rico and the first visits to Ragol. Also, it seems like PSZ takes place a few hundred years after the events of Phantasy Star II, I believe.
    I wouldn't have thought that PSO happened after PSZ.

Quote Originally Posted by FOODFOOD View Post

Wow. That is a lot to take in, but it definitely helps! Thanks.

Btw how did that Norco guy take pictures from his DS?

As for the allies, I feel like if they were any stronger, you'd be able to hide behind them and let them do all the work. But yeah, you're right :P The only thing they're good for is being a meatshield. Sarisa heals once in a while, and if you main a CAST, then Kai can provide Shifta. Ogi is pretty decent, but I didn't bring him along in the gun-resistance areas (namely, Paru and Gurhacia)
    I don't know about Ogi. He and the others don't do more than 19% damage it seems. But he does out live Kai and Sarisa at least.

I did not do it techniqually, LuneFox helped me get these pictures. I believe he used an emulator to first create the character then applied a filter to make them look smoother and then took the pictures. I do not know the details, you will have to ask him.

As for the prequal thing, as many have pointed out. PSZ takes place on Carol which is the planet where the people in PSO came from. Just that several things have happened, war and such leaving the planet i parell. Then a few hundred years later, thats where the story of PSZ takes place. As Shanks pointed out, some of the background story can be found in a quest which takes place in the Dark Shrine.

As for the ties to the orginal series on the Megadrive/Genesis, I highly doubt those theories. I have yet to see anything to support that theory other then the races, techniques, a certain weapon and final boss.

On the note of the followers being weak, just use them as meatshields. I prefer picking Sarisa, Kai and Reve because they can all heal. Even though one of them is laughably weak. I set them to "All out attack" then switch to "Safety First" or "Free Combat" when they are close enough. All depends if I want me or the followers get healed more often or if I want to build up a small chain (one or two is enough) for extra damage.

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

Quote Originally Posted by Norco View Post
    I did not do it techniqually, LuneFox helped me get these pictures. I believe he used an emulator to first create the character then applied a filter to make them look smoother and then took the pictures. I do not know the details, you will have to ask him.
    Oh ok.

As for the prequal thing, as many have pointed out. PSZ takes place on Carol which is the planet where the people in PSO came from. Just that several things have happened, war and such leaving the planet i parell. Then a few hundred years later, thats where the story of PSZ takes place. As Shanks pointed out, some of the background story can be found in a quest which takes place in the Dark Shrine.
    I got up to the Mother Trinity where she talked about genocide being the solution to end all the wars and the destruction of Earth. If the wars kept going on until the Pioneer project, did she have a point?

As for the ties to the orginal series on the Megadrive/Genesis, I highly doubt those theories. I have yet to see anything to support that theory other then the races, techniques, a certain weapon and final boss.
    Oh, so [spoiler]Dark Falz[/quote] was a recurring villain?

On the note of the followers being weak, just use them as meatshields. I prefer picking Sarisa, Kai and Reve because they can all heal. Even though one of them is laughably weak. I set them to "All out attack" then switch to "Safety First" or "Free Combat" when they are close enough. All depends if I want me or the followers get healed more often or if I want to build up a small chain (one or two is enough) for extra damage.
    I forgot about the chains. I'll try that, thanks.

I've managed to get a 28 chain before with Kai and Ogi vs a boosted Frunaked once, so it's possible for them to get a good chain going.

The plot in some aspects kind of reminded my of Phantasy Star 2, I'm thinking Sega might have lightly been trying to tie in some thing there.