View Poll Results: What is your favorite Monster Hunter game so far?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monster Hunter :: PS2

3 21.43%
  • Monster Hunter Freedom :: PSP

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter 2 Freedom :: PSP

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite :: PSP

5 35.71%
  • Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) :: Wii

5 35.71%
  • Monster Hunter Dynamic Hunting :: ISO/Android

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter 3G/3 Ultimate :: 3DS/Wii U

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter 4 :: 3DS

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter Frontier :: PC

0 0%
  • Monster Hunter Portable 3rd :: PSP

1 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter

Post Monster Hunter

I have been looking for things to keep me busy until PSO2 comes out and stumbled upon the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I remember all of my friends back in 2009 constantly talking about Monster Hunter 3 for wii and how much fun it was. My other friend said the concept of it was similar to PSO. So I bought MH3 for Wii and loved the game play. I went ahead and pre-ordered two copies of MH3U for 3DS; 1 for my brother and 1 for I. I plan on getting the Wii U version later for online play.

I am still disappointed that PSO2 is only coming out for PC, Vita, and iso/android. It almost seems like Sega PSO is abandoning owners of the Nintendo systems, but I guess that's how the Monster Hunter fans feel about MH moving to Nintendo((for the most part). ((I plan on getting a Vita and my PC does runs PSO2; played the JP servers for a while.)) Isn't it kinda funny how the two series kinda swapped systems?

So, what are your favorite Monster Hunter titles, and why? What are your favorite monsters, armor, weapons, and comrades? Are you excited for MH3U or MH4? Any other hunters on here I should know about?

Note:: I got MHP3 a few days back and it's pretty fun.

I do hope that I am not breaking any rules by mentioning what can be considered Phantasy Star's rival.

Not at all, because the games actually play very different. Monster hunter has way more Survival/Foraging/Monster behavior sim aspects, and too little special/skill/stat building to be an actual Dungeon Crawler-style game that PSO is. It's why I don't even consider them in the same sub-genre, really.

I'm definitely into monster Hunter games just that I generally don't get them unless they are localized. So my obvious faves are Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Oddly enough, nowadays, I tend to be way more Monster Hunter Tri thanks to the interesting tweaks and changes made to Tri's weapons, making existing ones more dynamic. Still, it does have less weapon choices than Unite, but it makes up or it in terms of overall game quality upgrades in animation, interesting new bosses, and a more dynamic ability for the weapons you can use. Like how Sword and Shield guys gained the ability to have a little of everything, for those who don't like to have to choose between slashing sharp-edged weaponry, and weaponry for which to bludgeon and KO creatures.

Haven't played anything released after Tri as I don't really do imports for Monster Hunter. I'm looking quite forward to MH3 Ultimate. Adding online play, on a console with online play built-in standard, is probably the best thing this series did for increasing localized sales. It's the community stuff, and multiplayer used to train new players, which always was the main attraction for the series. Making it so people have to jump through a bunch of hoops, and extra costs, to do so, kept this a niche title in the west.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Dec 22, 2012 at 03:06 PM.

I'm not exactly a fan of the series. The difficulty of the games feel artificial seeing as enemies are faster and have better recovery times than you do.

Though I guess I would have to say Tri as the Lagia gear is awesome.

MHdos was my favorite and the title on which I logged the most network hours, but it is not on the poll. A vote for the original is still legit, though, as it was a great experience when it was new.
    Tax the fucking churches.

Tri, but it's the only one I've played.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Xevioso View Post
    I'm not exactly a fan of the series. The difficulty of the games feel artificial seeing as enemies are faster and have better recovery times than you do.
    Wouldn't be much of a game if the enemies didn't have something over the players considering they telegraph the hell out of everything they do and the player has the opportunity for what, 20-30 lifebars worth of potions, unlimited stamina, and 2~4 traps, 5 flash bombs, all per player. Add in KO, sleepbombing, evade, block, game is stacked for the players...

Anyways, prefer Portable 3rd HD. UI is an eyesore but rest of the game looks great and multiplayer so good for the series. Adhoc party is ghetto for sure, but being able to finish the quest if you get d/c places it above Tri's also embarrassing online. Pretty much all my favorites except Kirin are in too. Alatreon, Gold and Silver Rath, Akantor, Amatsu...

Definitely buying a Wii U when Ultimate comes out, and hoping 4 gets a console version eventually too.

As much as I love Freedom Unite, Tri introduced new things. SnS shield bashing is my favorite thing to do. pair it with the Almighty Dahaka and you got some fun times and easy hits ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    As much as I love Freedom Unite, Tri introduced new things. SnS shield bashing is my favorite thing to do. pair it with the Almighty Dahaka and you got some fun times and easy hits ahead of you.
    SnS is just a lot of fun to hack away with, because its so very agile and has a nice amount of branching in the combos.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Palle View Post
    MHdos was my favorite and the title on which I logged the most network hours, but it is not on the poll. A vote for the original is still legit, though, as it was a great experience when it was new.

I knew I missed something.. I do apologize for that. I don't think there is a way to change the poll after it has been created...
    Last edited by SolarSamurai; Dec 23, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

Well, i liked FU a bit more over P3rd. Not because of the challenge, but because of what type of bosses.

I never were that good at it, but when i needed help my big bro helps me out.
    Big Monster hunter fan there, not to say i like them alot too.
    Bombing is hella fun too.

I´m just kinda holding off playing P3rd until 3G is out.
    Don´t wanna spoil the fun too much.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0