Default "Poison Trap Igniter" build?

here's my build

Thinking about getting poison trap for ranger and poison ignition for techer. i could easily get poison for weapon but the chances of poison trap and higher range of AoE maybe be better for poison trap. if i get enough enemies in the blast i could explode all of them with poison ignition and cause near instant death to most mobs couldnt i? I'm still in the lv30s but its an idea i want to look into and i have so many questions about it.

1. does poison ignition explosion cause damage to all enemies around it and do the exploding poisoned enemies get caught in other exploding poisoned enemy's explosions? if so how much damage?

2. does the explosion and poison trap affect protection targets such as lilipans?

3. what is the success rate of poison abiity of weapons and the success rate of poison traps? which one is better?

also, before anyone criticizes me of my decision against standing snipe, most of my damage comes from my partners rather than just my weak bullet+PA spam. also, i find myself always running around since its so difficult getting aggro off a ranger spamming PA's on weak spots. furthermore, the reason y i went for poison ignition on techer is because buffs are such a hassle to keep active during boss fights(which are the only situations that would require them). since poison ignition is on the same path as pp convert i decided i might as well get it for the massive nuke that it is and get pp restorerate like usual(that way i can spam PA's during weakbullet without having to worry about pp as much.

as for poison trap, some bosses are always rushing me and make it extremely difficult to land shots on at all(like the quartz dragon and tigers). its alot easier to lure them into traps rather than wrestling them up close. with poison traps i can keep far enough and still get the decisive burst damage.

for discusion purposes, here are boss situations and my guess on how standing snipe or poison trap would do:

Rockbear:always jumping around and moving. standing snipe difficult if aggro'd as the target is usually strafing backwards but this isnt much of a problem since rockbear is such a simple boss battle.

"Lava Cat"(caterdran(?)):they are very easily manipulated by rangers and most of the time they never really get to attack if handled properly. however its annoying to land in a headshot since they always have to turn around after returning to the surface. breaking their tail solves the problem. poison trap is easy to pull off since it reappears where its target was and there is plenty of time to move after setting the trap. poison always does tons of damage on cats. I also love farming cat quests for exp so this is a good reason for me to get the poison trap ignition built.

Vol Dragon:since his tail is always wagging around, rangers are usually forced to stand still in order to get the accuracy needed to land the hit. standing snipe is very nice since theres plenty of times where he is force to stand still(being frozen and repairing his tail thing stone rock). ive also heard poison hurts dragons alot. however, unlike cats, he reappears where the target IS rather than WAS. this makes setting traps while he's burrowing underground tricky.

"Gwanda tentacle thing":standing snipe tears it apart and poison trap has no affect. not that any of that matters since this boss requires less intelligence than fighting cats even.

Tigers(banther and banshee): i cant seem to dodge them if i stand still while still being in firing range(i have low reaction time) so i would have no use for standing snipe. it would be easy for me to use traps on them though.

Big Vardha: standing snipe was almost made for this boss. poison trap has no affect at all. he's easy if u take it slow though.

sky cat=lava cat but in the sky and easier(?) maybe its because the scenery is nice and not dark and ugly.(which reminds me, what is a winged dragon that can fly doi ng in a completely sealed cave volcano thing?)

quartz dragon:standing snipe useless if aggro'd; he will keep u at ur toes most of the time(his head is in the ground when he's actually not moving). poison trap is easy to use when he jams himself in the ground.

dark bosses: poison trap is useless
    Last edited by lkaruga; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:18 AM.

This isn't really going to answer anything you really wanted to know, but:

1) Poison Trap, if it's anything like Upper Trap, has a stupidly long-ish animation where you stand perfectly still to lay it and then there's a delay before you can remotely detonate it (and the hit detection on automatic detonation is horrible). Not many bosses are going to give you that much of a breather (not that you can poison most bosses anyways).

2) Traps take physical inventory space. You can only hold 10 at a time. Nothing more needs to be said on this point.

3) Anything worth poisoning, you could probably spend your time better just shooting. Rockbear and Caterdran/sa are only minibosses. Real bosses don't get poisoned except Quartz's special poison-stun.

As for poison chance on the Poison weapon ability or Poison Trap, I doubt anybody knows. Megid techs have a ~20-30% chance to poison, so we can assume it's not more than that. This would also make Poison Trap Custom kind of mediocre as well. If we generously assume Poison Trap has a 20% chance to poison, 20*(1.35) = 27%. If we're being more optimistic and saying it's 50%, 67.5%. But at least with affixed Poison you have unlimited chances.
    Last edited by Seravi Edalborez; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:55 AM.

HU-36 FI-48 RA-50 GU-50 FO-35 TE-36

yea i was aware of all of those except for the only quartz dragon part. so i guess that leaves tiger boss and maybe vol dragon(?) out. everything else is darker or big vardha. most of what i want out of this build is to have the massive explosion be an instant death to large mobs and field miniboss appearances(which usually have tons of other enemies lurking around during the fight). during desert run i met metal gear rex(transmiser) alone and the only reason i couldnt kill it my first encounter was because of unusually large mob that came with it. the reason y i want the poison trap is because launcher is just a slow and leaves me open and the poison ability is bit costly to get ahold of(i'd have to rely on lv3 poison at least for situations like these). if poison traps have a decent success rate it'd make poison ignition deal good area damage as well as poison whatever's left. although it does have the annoying arming time, it might be alot safer than jumping, rolling, and firing the launcher till everything is dead. i just need to know how its success rate is compared to poison ability.

Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

lkaruga - the Bosses That are affected by Poison so far are Catadoran (Caves), Catadoransa (Islands), Guwanada (both arms and body, need a good Lv. rate for the body but you can poison it) this is all the mini's, And Quartz's special poison-stun for the true bosses like Seravi Edalborez said.
    Last edited by Omega-z; Feb 1, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Im running a Ranger/Techer UpperTrap/PoisonTrap,Stun Grenade,Poison Ignition build.
    Although the PoisonTrap inflicts damage other than just inflicting Poison(main reason of me getting it because 10 UpperTraps isnt enough as a trap build IMO), it would be better off if you use a launcher with a Poison Affix to inflict poison consistently on targets since PoisonTrap only inflicts PoisonI FYI.
    Also, having Poison Affixes means you can do Zondeel (to suck everything in) and then Divine Launcher (bigger AoE)... this is just too good.
    Regarding Poison Ignition, all it does is show a little explosion and then inflict damage on the enemies that are poisoned (within 1-2 person bodyrange from you), the poison will spread because of the proximity of the mobs among themselves like fire and not because of the ignition (thats what I noticed)
    If you want your Poison Ignition to hit harder, make sure you have higher Tatk stat and Darkness Mastery IMO. The good thing about this skill is that you can trigger it every 30 secs (sometimes I feel its too long though when you miss as mobs move away)
    I have it on my AI partner and it will trigger it accurately (even while jumping) whenever something poisoned is nearby...it does do significant damage for something that doesnt require any PP and is instant every 30 secs.

Correction: Only Caterdra'n and Catera'nsa can be "poisoned". Gwana bits can be poisoned, but the body itself cannot be.

Soultrigger - Guwanada body can be Poisoned I've done it myself, It's just harder to get it to stick. I'll take a pic of it when I do it again. It's like the rumor of Ragne being immune to SE's.

Quote Originally Posted by Acel View Post
    Im running a Ranger/Techer UpperTrap/PoisonTrap,Stun Grenade,Poison Ignition build.
    Regarding Poison Ignition, all it does is show a little explosion and then inflict damage on the enemies that are poisoned (within 1-2 person bodyrange from you), the poison will spread because of the proximity of the mobs among themselves like fire and not because of the ignition (thats what I noticed)
    If you want your Poison Ignition to hit harder, make sure you have higher Tatk stat and Darkness Mastery IMO. The good thing about this skill is that you can trigger it every 30 secs (sometimes I feel its too long though when you miss as mobs move away)
    how much damage do u do w/ poison ignition and can quartz dragon be poisoned?

also, I have a craft procyon w/ poison III. It still has a unreasonably low chance of poisoning still yet if I use my vita hatchet w/ poison I and use thrillsplosion it poison everything. I think each hit regardless of the attack or weapon has the same %. Does this mean cracker bullet is actually useful? @.@

lkaruga - First the Quartz takes a special Poison that causes it to reject it out of it body and stop it sometimes, It's not truly Poisoned with the proc.

The other, LV. of Poison does get stronger with it's proc and chance rate to effect, even tho the chance rate is small. Tech's are between 20% ~ 24%/ 10% ~ 30% with Poison Ignition, Trap's I've heard is 20% ~ 27%, Weapon Affix'd is between 10% at LV.1 ~ 30% at Lv.6. The Proc rate is said to be 5% ~ 6.5% of the enemy's HP.

Oh, yes the more hit's a weapon or PA does the better the chance rate of effect
    Last edited by Omega-z; Feb 2, 2013 at 01:47 PM.