Page 1 of 158 12341151101 ... LastLast

Default Nvidia and AMD Anti-Aliasing, HBAO+ (NV only), and SweetFX Guide

SGSSAA/MSAA Guide

Before going any further, please note that you need a mid to high-end Nvidia GPU to use SGSSAA. It isn't all bad for AMD users however, you can still use SweetFX which is detailed below. If you play at 720p-ish resolutions (most likely laptop users), you will need roughly a GTX 650m (slightly weaker than a gtx 550 ti). If you play at 1080p, you will need around a 660 ti in performance.

Compatibility bit: 0x004010C5
    AA fix should be turned ON.

Native screenshots (No AA what-so-ever)
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA - LOD Bias -1.000
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

For good performance AA, I recommend skipping to the SweetFX section and using SMAA.

This is how Nvidia Inspector should look when setting it up. (Only pay attention to the anti-aliasing and LOD parts for SGSSAA)
    Spoiler!

HBAO+ Setup

Navigate to the PSO2 profile in Nvidia Inspector and place 0x00000034 in the "Ambient Occlusion compatibility" field. Go down to the sub-heading called "Common" and change "Ambient Occlusion setting" to your desired quality level and change "Ambient Occlusion usage" to enabled.

Without HBAO+:
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

With HBAO+:
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    (pre-baked ambient occlusion makes this one not as noticeable, but there is still a difference for the better)
    Spoiler!
    (I spent 30 minutes trying to get this version of caves again for a screenshot. It wasn't happening, so this is just with HBAO+)

SweetFX and/or SMAA for both Nvidia and AMD

Things you will need:
    PSO2 (obviously)
    RadeonPro, even if you have an Nvidia card!
    SweetFX 1.4 (Since SweetFX 1.5 is out, it is difficult to find a download for 1.4, so I uploaded my original download of SweetFX 1.4 to dropbox, which is where that link will take you. It is provided in the exact same format as I downloaded it and none of the files have been changed)

1.) Let's start with installing RadeonPro. It is a typical install, so I won't walk you through it.

2.) Download and Extract SweetFX 1.4 to a location you will remember. I recommend creating a separate folder for SweetFX. You will need to tell RadeonPro where you have the files located.

3.) Open up RadeonPro. For Nvidia users, a pop-up will show letting you know you don't have AMD drivers (SHOCKER!) Ignore it, it doesn't matter for what we are going to use RadeonPro for.

4.) Now we are going to create the PSO2 profile and configure the launch settings.
    a.) Click the file with the green "+" sign on it.
    Spoiler!
    then navigate to where you have PSO2 installed and select pso2. Note that it is not pso2launcher, just plain pso2.
    The default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin

b.)Now select your added profile and navigate to the "Launcher" tab in RadeonPro. Select Custom from the drop down menu. In the Launcher details section, browse for the launcher that you use. If you use the regular launcher for PSO2, it will be pso2launcher in the same directory as the normal .exe. You can select PSO2 Tweaker as your game launcher as well.
    Spoiler!

5.) Now we are going to setup SweetFX in RadeonPro. In RadeonPro, go to settings
    Spoiler!
    and select "SweetFX settings" from the left side menu. Enable SweetFX integration and click "Change..." to navigate to where you extracted SweetFX. You can also change your SweetFX toggle key, which I recommend doing if you play with a mouse and keyboard since the default (scroll lock) will toggle direct chat as well. I play with a gamepad, so I left mine on Scroll Lock.
    Spoiler!

Don't forget to click Save!

6.) Now we can configure SweetFX! Navigate to the SweetFX tab, click "Enable SweetFX" and you can try out some effects if you'd like.

I do want to warn some people about LumaSharpen. It is a filter that goes over the game. Many people make the mistake of thinking it will magically sharpen everything, when in reality it makes things appear sharper. The reason this difference matters is that when people turn up sharpening too high, you can actually see the sharpening pattern. LumaSharpen is a nice filter only when used at low values.

I will post some screenshots of my game followed by my SweetFX settings below.

When you are done and ready to play the game, you must launch the game within RadeonPro if you want these settings to work. Right click on the PSO2 profile and select play.

OPTIONAL 7.) If you want to use SMAA, navigate to the "Visual" tab in RadeonPro. There is a checkbox on the page for SMAA. Under "Quality", select the quality you want to use, or choose custom. Nvidia users must select custom. If you don't want to customize the values yourself, you can select the quality you want and then select custom. The values from the preset you picked will remain the same. For maximum quality, use these values
    Spoiler!

Important information: There are key toggles for multiple things in RadeonPro. If you use SMAA, you will probably want to change it from the default key of "-" on the numpad. That key has a binding in PSO2 already. Go into settings -> Advanced to change the keybinds for SMAA, FXAA, and the OSD (on screen display which shows your framerate).

It should also be mentioned that taking a screenshot using PSO2's built in screenshot system will not show SweetFX or SMAA. You must take the screenshot using RadeonPro. You can configure the screenshot settings in the settings menu of RadeonPro.

My SweetFX Screenshots and Settings
    With SMAA, Without SweetFX
    Spoiler!

With SMAA + SweetFX
    Spoiler!

With SweetFX, No SMAA
    Spoiler!

I will list the effects I am using, followed by a image of the values I am using. Any effects I don't mention aren't being used. If you want to use my settings, below is a link to download my settings.

SweetFX settings

Bloom:
    Spoiler!

HDR:
    Spoiler!

LumaSharpen:
    Spoiler!

Vibrance:
    Spoiler!

Hope this helps a lot of people trying to improve their game!

FAQ

Q. "Can I run this?"
    A. Any machine that plays PSO2 at an acceptable framerate can use SweetFX. The performance hit is generally very small. In order to use SGSSAA, you need an Nvidia card and it needs to be very powerful.

Q. "How can I make my game look like Sizustar's? (aka: using SSAO)"
    A. You have to downgrade your driver to the version before HBAO+ was introduced. If you play games other than PSO2, I highly recommend you use the latest drivers instead. If you really want your game to look like Sizustar's, download a driver before version 331.40. Make sure your graphics card is compatible with the drivers!
    UPDATE: I found an HBAO+ flag which is added to the guide. It isn't as strong as SSAO, but it is still very visible. It looks very nice!

Q. "SweetFX isn't working. How do I fix it?"
    A. This is a tricky one, but here we go:

First, make sure you went through all the steps correctly. Please do so before asking for help.

• If your game is crashing right at startup, try closing overlay software such as FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, etc.
    • If you are getting permission errors, make sure you are running RadeonPro as administrator (for the sake of making it easy, do so for both 32bit and 64bit executables), PSO2.exe, and your launcher of choice. If that doesn't solve the permission problems, I'm honestly not sure what else you can try.
    • If the game is running fine, but RadeonPro isn't hooking (meaning it isn't doing anything), open up the settings in RadeonPro and check the box for "Disable advanced D3D9 hooking". (This is what fixed it for me). You can also try getting RadeonPro to hook to the Character Creator for PSO2. If you can get that to work, you will know the issue is with GameGuard.

If the above doesn't work or your issue isn't listed, feel free to ask for help.
    Last edited by Preposterous Rhino; Oct 9, 2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary fluff and added FAQ/Troubleshooting

Welcome to pso-world. And here's a working version of your pic.

Spoiler!

can you put that all into layman's terms. with simple instructions on how to implement your thingy?
    I wish every PSO-World member playing PSO2 would have this outlook/attitude:
    "I'll be honest: I'm a man of simple pleasures, and as long as I get to stab the blazes out of something, I'm pretty content."
    Tactlessness is ugly, willfull ignorance and bigotry is even uglier

Sure. You need to download Nvidia Inspector http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html

Then, go to the pso2 profile, and configure it to look like mine http://gyazo.com/05737e6a0bf5f217c676787ed672dd5f

You don't need to use the Ambient Occlusion bit (it has some flicker and has a HUGE performance hit). The main focus is the anti-aliasing bits, the forced AA values, and the LOD options I have. You need to make sure, whatever value you decide to use, it is uniform across both multi-sampling, and SGSSAA (meaning 2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA, or 4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA etc.)

Also note that it does have a hefty performance hit, that is the nature of this form of AA. I use 4x SGSSAA and my rig has 2 560 ti cards in SLI. That puts my GPU usage up to about 71% each. Meaning to run it optimally at 60 fps, you need to have a card equivalent to about a 660ti (complete ball park guess btw).

Edit: I should also mention that if you use 2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA, the LOD value should be set to -0.5. If you have a monstrous rig, and can use 8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA, you need to use -1.5.
    Last edited by Preposterous Rhino; Mar 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM.

On a related tangent, you should try the Mirror's Edge ambient occlusion bit as it is a bit lighter and fits a lot better with the game's aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    On a related tangent, you should try the Mirror's Edge ambient occlusion bit as it is a bit lighter and fits a lot better with the game's aesthetic.
    Will do. I couldn't find another one that works, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    I tried it out, and it has some stutter/flicker in motion (I personally don't like that). All ambient occlusion being forced in any game seems to do that though. It does look extremely good in a screenshot however, and if I am ever gonna get some screens, I will probably turn it on haha.

I don't think there is a real solution to the flickering shadow.
    And there's also a Japanese player that tries different setting on Nvidia Setting on his two GPU, Nvidia GTX 690 and his newest card Nvidia Titan.

His AA profile
    http://lavendy.net/special/pso2/pso2_nvaa.zip

http://lavendy.net/pso2/2012/12/pso2...1212.html#more

Here is his various blog page on settings, with video so you can see his game in motion. His latest is testing GTX Titan vs. GTX 690
    http://lavendy.net/pso2/pc_setting/
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Quote Originally Posted by Preposterous Rhino View Post
    I tried it out, and it has some stutter/flicker in motion (I personally don't like that). All ambient occlusion being forced in any game seems to do that though. It does look extremely good in a screenshot however, and if I am ever gonna get some screens, I will probably turn it on haha.
    Are you running in performance mode?

I don't see much flickering in quality or high quality settings. Of course there will always be artifacts when dealing with stairs, that's just a limitation of a screen-space effect, and fortunately none of the stages are covered in stairs.

I was using high performance mode. I have used the bits that guy has on his blog, and they all sucked. The in game aa looked better than his, which is why I made my own lol. When I get on my computer, I can take comparison shots and post em here. Also, there is absolutely no shimmering when using my settings.
    Last edited by Preposterous Rhino; Mar 10, 2013 at 03:06 PM.