Question Tucana Mag: Worth it?

A bit of background: I recently started a new character due to my old main's mag being a complete mess for the direction I wanted to go with him. I planned on going Fi/Gu with Twin Daggers as my primary weapon, gaining boosted damage of Gu's Aerial Advance for trash mobs and Chain Trigger for bosses, with Lambda Aresvis (TMG) for versatile PP Regen options. On my new character, going for a Tucana Mag definitely seemed like the way to go, since I could focus mainly on S-ATK and R-ATK.

Also, it's a drill, and if Gurren Lagann has taught me anything, it's that drills are manly as hell.

After getting to 31/31 Gu/Ra, I'd rather stick with this class setup and go for a generic build. Gunner is definitely the way to go for me. So what to do with my mag?

I went the safe route and have only leveled R-ATK on my mag so far. Currently, he's at 60 R-ATK with 0 in everything else. I could go anywhere down the Fornax evolution line, but I still kinda want that Tucana, just for looks if any reason at all. The Auto-Ability can be a pain sometimes (had it on my Fighter) but it would definitely be less of a hassle on a Gunner. The Photon Blast (Ajax Imera) sounds like Pilla from PSO to me, and that was always a great one to have (iirc). But I digress.

Is raising a Tucana Mag for a Gu/Ra worth it? According to some simulations I've done, I would be at 620 R-ATK spot-on (Req. R-ATK for BiS Zexia Bullet) if I put as much R-ATK into the Mag as possible for it to still evolve into a Tucana. Here's the build with what seems to be the best Mag spread for a Gu/Ra Tucana:

http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/ski...b00000ib00000f

I'm not into min-maxing like a crazy person... I think. I can use the current BiS weapon with this build. But losing ~76 R-ATK to ~73 DEX seems like a pretty big deal. Then again, Gunners get (most?) of their damage from PAs and if I am not mistaken 100% of DEX is added onto PA damage, so I would actually be doing approximately the same amount there. I am still somewhat unsure of where to go with this, so that's why I thought I'd ask people who have more experience in these things than I do. Thanks in advance for any feedback, especially to those who took the time to read this unnecessarily large wall of text. As for the rest of you...

TL;DR

Is raising a 3/74/73/0/0/0 Tucana Mag for a Gu/Ra worth the loss in R-ATK given that I'd still be able to equip Zexia Bullet (BiS TMG)?
    Nobuo Lv31 Gu / Lv31 Ra Ship 10
    Munobu Lv52 Fi / Lv41 Hu Ship 10

Irregularities ahead!!! Shinmarizu's Avatar

While the little drill car is cool(with suitable auto action to boot), if you're chasing 620 R-atk at level 55, there are going to be a few issues:

Do you have other guns ready between your current level and level 55? (Most likely you do, but which ones?)
    Do you have a Zexia Bullet? (I wish I did, they're sexy - and they're freaking hard to get.)
    If better guns come by and you want those, but find yourself lacking, you might end up kicking yourself for not getting more R-atk on your mag.

74 is the most R-atk a Tucana can have, and while DEX is always good, Gunners (and Rangers) in general don't need as much DEX as other classes do. There will be people who will suggest that you go pure R-atk (Cepheus), and unfortunately, if you need more R-atk, the mag would eventually become a Cepheus unless you maintain the high DEX levels. Of course, with rumors of increasing mag levels beyond 150, this could be a moot point.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Shinmarizu; Mar 10, 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: rewording for clarity

PSO2: Lorilae / Durandal / Rook (Ship 2)
    PSO2 ID: nimbusalexander

Forget the drill car and get the awesome space ship then give it the drill car's attack!!

You'll also get better stats for the class this way. and be able to equip better stuff as it comes. Zexia bullet is a poor benchmark since many weapons are already requiring 650 attack to equip. The result could easily be that you can't equip newer gear and that zexia bullet compares poorly to whateverf else comes out. if not this week then a few weeks from now. best not to aim for stats like that. You should be aiming for at least 650 R atk, 547 R def and 450 dex (because of emperor axeon and beyond.)

Quote Originally Posted by SociableTyrannosaur View Post
    You should be aiming for at least 650 R atk, 547 R def and 450 dex (because of emperor axeon and beyond.)
    Can one possibly reach all three requirements? I doubt it.

Its doable. Barely. Race will have an impact. My newman female can't meet all three, but casts probably can.

Thanks for the feedback so far, especially the specific suggestions on what stats to aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinmarizu View Post

Do you have other guns ready between your current level and level 55?
    This is something I thought I had considered quite well, but now that you mention it perhaps that is not the case. I have a Radiegle that I'm reluctant to attempt grinding past +7 (Dudu's 9* prices and odds of success are a little much for me to gamble on at my current level/income). That said, I didn't plan on keeping it for long because I assumed I'd be able to hunt a Mizer Bullet since it only requires 520 R-ATK. Then again, I can imagine that betting on a drop probably isn't the best thing to do. Any suggestions on what to fill the gap between my current Radiegle and the Lambda version (578 R-ATK) or Red Machineguns (597 R-ATK)? I'd rather have the latter for lower pricing and ease-of-grinding purposes but if the gap between upgrades is too long, I'll settle for shilling out the meseta.
    Nobuo Lv31 Gu / Lv31 Ra Ship 10
    Munobu Lv52 Fi / Lv41 Hu Ship 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hrith View Post
    Can one possibly reach all three requirements? I doubt it.

Female Cast, yo. Get with it.

why do you think that zexia will ever drop for you? lol
    instead of waiting 3 years for it to drop just get Surukurai and grind its attribute to 50
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Might want to go with a Lambda Fusion after Radiegle too.

Irregularities ahead!!! Shinmarizu's Avatar

If you're currently using a Radiegle at +7, then as Link1275 said, the Lambda Fusion is the next step before you look at the Red Mechgun and the Lambda Radiegle. If you happen to find a Lambda Sarcueid (from Chrome Dragon) in the meantime, they are also a good pair of mechs to have.

Also, jooozek's suggestion of grabbing an Ishirai and running AQs until you can get the Sukurai is your best ticket to a high tier mechgun as of now.... Until the new batch of AQs come out and the Tourmalinca gets its upgrade.

But overall, as discussed here, you should not be chasing a stat because of the rare weapon you want to equip. Be prepared for the future, not the present. A Cepheus with a large amount of R-atk and a fair bit of DEX and R-def should be the way to go. Also, keep in mind your skill trees already have points invested in giving your setup DEX and R-def (albeit not much). Tucana will have a lot of points invested in DEX you might end up missing in R-atk or R-def in the future, and I'm sure you do not want to use SP to make up the difference.
    Last edited by Shinmarizu; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM.

PSO2: Lorilae / Durandal / Rook (Ship 2)
    PSO2 ID: nimbusalexander