Why do I have a feeling thats what one of those pop up crazy things. How you about you tell us the story instead of a link

Unlike most of the other nonfoolish holidays, the history of April Fool's Day, sometimes called All Fool's Day, is not totally clear. There really wasn't a "first April Fool's Day" that can be pinpointed on the calendar. Some believe it sort of evolved simultaneously in several cultures at the same time, from celebrations involving the first day of spring.

The closest point in time that can be identified as the beginning of this tradition was in 1582, in France. Prior to that year, the new year was celebrated for eight days, beginning on March 25. The celebration culminated on April 1. With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1.

However, communications being what they were in the days when news traveled by foot, many people did not receive the news for several years. Others, the more obstinate crowd, refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the new year on April 1. These backward folk were labeled as "fools" by the general populace. They were subject to some ridicule, and were often sent on "fools errands" or were made the butt of other practical jokes.

This harassment evolved, over time, into a tradition of prank-playing on the first day of April. The tradition eventually spread to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century. It was later introduced to the American colonies of both the English and French. April Fool's Day thus developed into an international fun fest, so to speak, with different nationalities specializing in their own brand of humor at the expense of their friends and families.

In Scotland, for example, April Fool's Day is actually celebrated for two days. The second day is devoted to pranks involving the posterior region of the body. It is called Taily Day. The origin of the "kick me" sign can be traced to this observance.

Mexico's counterpart of April Fool's Day is actually observed on December 28. Originally, the day was a sad remembrance of the slaughter of the innocent children by King Herod. It eventually evolved into a lighter commemoration involving pranks and trickery.

Pranks performed on April Fool's Day range from the simple, (such as saying, "Your shoe's untied!), to the elaborate. Setting a roommate's alarm clock back an hour is a common gag. Whatever the prank, the trickster usually ends it by yelling to his victim, "April Fool!"

Practical jokes are a common practice on April Fool's Day. Sometimes, elaborate practical jokes are played on friends or relatives that last the entire day. The news media even gets involved. For instance, a British short film once shown on April Fool's Day was a fairly detailed documentary about "spaghetti farmers" and how they harvest their crop from the spaghetti trees.

April Fool's Day is a "for-fun-only" observance. Nobody is expected to buy gifts or to take their "significant other" out to eat in a fancy restaurant. Nobody gets off work or school. It's simply a fun little holiday, but a holiday on which one must remain forever vigilant, for he may be the next April Fool!

Copyright © 2000, 2001 by Jerry Wilson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You Know What They Say About Fools...
    But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. -- 1 Cor 1:27
    However big the fool, there is always a bigger fool to admire him. -- Nicolas Boileau-Despréaux
    [Politicians] never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge. -- Thomas Reed
    He who lives without folly isn't so wise as he thinks. -- François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer
    Sometimes one likes foolish people for their folly, better than wise people for their wisdom. -- Elizabeth Gaskell
    Looking foolish does the spirit good. -- John Updike
    Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. -- Mark Twain
    A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees. -- William Blake
    A fool must now and then be right by chance. -- Cowper
    It is better to be a fool than to be dead. -- Stevenson
    The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year. -- Mark Twain

this was a great april fools day.

i would punch my friends, and yell "APRIL FOOL". i did this about ten more times. all of my friends have sore arms, and so do i.

Not banned

For the past 3 years on April Fools, I have had 3 family members or close friends die each; April Fools. This one sucked because, well...yeah, my Grandfather died. I made a topic about what happened if you want to read it.

My cousin's birthday is April Fools. I smell a bit of irony...or just coincidence