Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Renvalt View Post
    What is it with Westerners and their xenophobia? You would think JAPAN would be the big culprit here in this case, but no, from what I'm seeing they're rather tolerant.

I mean, I can see the point of JP Only parties now - the island's size means that you're like to have zero issues with lag, and not to mention communication won't be an issue since everyone fluently speaks the same language, thus no need for simple Google Translate failzorz.

We're the only ones freaking out. A good number of us cannot or refuse to learn the language of the colony (in this case, Japanese), so I could see how they think us rude, xenophobically disrespectful gaijins.

It's not so much that we're invading, it's that a number of us are acting like the Crusaders when they took lands belonging to the Saladins - like barbaric mongrels, channeling zero intent to learn their customs and traditions; we're basically acting as if we haven't left our homes when theoretically we're in a foreign country, figuratively speaking.
    I don't think you know what xenophobia is.

I'm sorry, what? did you see the quote in my post? It was a damned joke.

And what's xenophobic about people getting tired of seeing the same question crop up once a week?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT XENOPHOBIA IS?

Personally I understand a good amount of japanese. Less now adays since I'm out of practice but I have a hell of a time with character recognition. Regardless I'm the last person to say we should be heavily catered to as outsiders, or did you not see the long bout I had with Syklo about political correctness being a sorry cover for guilt and ignorance? I mean hell all the important stuff is in kana anyway. you learn what it all is in a month if you care in the slightest and if you don't why are you playing the game on a foreign server anyway.

Get off your high horse and learn to take a goddamned joke.
    Last edited by SociableTyrannosaur; Mar 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poubelle View Post
    I don't think you know what xenophobia is.
    Probably not. My definition is basically absolute hatred of anyone who isn't like you in any way, shape, or form. In essence, what Westboro and the KKK are like.

Extremists and racists. That's what I see it as (considering that the way people have portrayed the Japanese to me, it's almost like they're their own KKK).

Seeing as I know half Chinese half Japanese people with horror stories about living in japan due to their mixed background, I can tell you the intolerance is there.

From Webster's

xe·no·pho·bia noun \ˌze-nə-ˈfō-bē-ə, ˌzē-\

Definition of XENOPHOBIA

: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

Quote Originally Posted by supersonix9 View Post
    it all starts with katakana. baby steps people
    Exactly. If you take a few weeks to learn katakana, you would be able to understand a great deal with it. That's because a lot of the game is actually in English already. If you know English and katakana, you are well on your way to playing Japanese games.

Japan uses a lot of English words, especially in video games. It's understandable if you aren't serious enough about games to learn an entire new language, but at least learn Katakana so you can understand all of the English words used.

Most item names, enemy names and also character names are written in Katakana too. Generally speaking, if you know English and katakana you can play and understand most Japanese games. You would mainly just be missing out dialogue and story elements. RPGs aside, you would be in very good shape.
    Quit PSO2

Quote Originally Posted by Renvalt View Post
    Probably not. My definition is basically absolute hatred of anyone who isn't like you in any way, shape, or form. In essence, what Westboro and the KKK are like.

Extremists and racists. That's what I see it as (considering that the way people have portrayed the Japanese to me, it's almost like they're their own KKK).
    Xenophobia is hatred of foreign things and foreign people. It's rampant in Japan due to its history and geography. While Japan is extremely Americanized nowadays, the xenophobia still very much exists there (there are many exceptions, especially with young people).

Those Japanese parties you're talking about are definitely xenophobic in some cases. Those players have the mindset that "foreigners are bad", "I don't want to play with a foreigner", and there's really no logic behind those statements. It's just plain xenophobia. In many cases, it doesn't even matter if that foreigner can read & write Japanese.

That behavior of barging in and acting like you own the place isn't really xenophobic. It's rude and disrespectful in some cases, but I definitely haven't seen any "xenophobia" among the English community. If anything they're the opposite (straight up weaboos). American people (yeah I know not everyone here is American) are usually NOT xenophobic. We are so used to foreign things due to our history and geography. Melting pot and all that... foreign stuff is natural to us.

I don't think you can really fault people for not knowing Japanese because it's not a very useful language to learn, so it isn't taught in schools. People who know Japanese went out of their way to learn it (which you can't expect someone to do specifically for PSO2) or they come from a Japanese family... etc.
    Last edited by Poubelle; Mar 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

It's never coming out
    My daddy, who works at SEGA, said it was canceled

Quote Originally Posted by Poubelle View Post
    Xenophobia is hatred of foreign things and foreign people. It's rampant in Japan due to its history and geography. While Japan is extremely Americanized nowadays, the xenophobia still very much exists there (there are many exceptions, especially with young people).

Those Japanese parties you're talking about are definitely xenophobic in some cases. Those players have the mindset that "foreigners are bad", "I don't want to play with a foreigner", and there's really no logic behind those statements. It's just plain xenophobia. In many cases, it doesn't even matter if that foreigner can read & write Japanese.

That behavior of barging in and acting like you own the place isn't really xenophobic. It's rude and disrespectful but I definitely haven't seen any "xenophobia" among the English community. If anything they're the opposite (straight up weaboos).

I don't think you can really fault people for not knowing Japanese because it's not a very useful language to learn, so it isn't taught in schools. People who know Japanese went out of their way to learn it (which you can't expect someone to do specifically for PSO2) or they come from a Japanese family... etc.
    The xeonphobic community in PSO2 are a vocal minority.
    When there was talk of foreign IP ban, the majority of Japanese PSO2 player went to Sakai's blog and asked him not to implment such a feature.
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

Quote Originally Posted by Cyron Tanryoku View Post
    It's never coming out
    My daddy, who works at SEGA, said it was canceled
    My uncle who works at sega says he fired your daddy two months ago and that he spends that time getting hammered at the nudie bar.

my friend sine who doesn't work at sega just posted this in the us release date thread