Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 51213141516 LastLast

I can only criticise if you tell me what why you made it (what your goal is)

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I'm trying to get better at Unity, so I need sprites for animations. I can probably find public domain sprites for most of my assets, but I wanted something custom for the playable character.

In the first thing I released I just drew some rough sketches, but that turned out to look better than I expected. So I figured I should put some actual work into it and see what I can come up with.
    Plus, it's great to finally have complete creative control over her.

So, I think I need five sprites to complete the idle animation. This is the first one.
    And it took me half a day to complete.

So, does anything look immediately wrong? Or anything that could be improved? What about design thoughts?
    Last edited by Zorafim; Dec 19, 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Here's the second. It took me a while to get the legs looking decent. How do they look now? Do all the proportions look okay?
    I, uh, didn't realize how much her design made her look like someone from the '70s...

Well, I tried. The bobbing, hair, and fins look awesome. But the legs are a total mess. I need to calm those down and try again.

Spoiler!

Legs are one of the hardest parts to draw from a humanoid. Thats why a lot of artists only draw busts (=its easier).

As for the legs, my main gripe is that the length seems to change in each frame. I did a comparison below on the third and fourth frame.

In the second frame you see the same with the leg that is moving forward is longer than the leg that is moving backward.

Other then that I strongly advice to search for a running cycle on google and then go trough it frame by frame and analyse what makes the animation. For the 3D animations I've done the same. For example: when running, the upper body is usually tilted forward just a bit. Though try to pick animation sources from photo or video, because there are a ton of bad animation you will find, which you don't wanna use as your source.

Haha, I worked so hard to keep them the same length! Every time I drew them, I marked the length from the hip to the chest, and used that for the length of the hip to the knee. Then used the same from the knee to the ankle. I guess I was sloppy.

So you think it's the length, and not what she's doing with the leg, that's the problem? Alright, I'll go back and edit that and see how I do.

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.

Well, the frames can use some work, but I suggest looking up reference on google for that, since its to hard for me to explain. As you can see in my game, my animations are also super amateur level. It's all a learning experience to me. Be okay with things looking not super awesome. The more you do it, the better you will get.

Of course I had a head start, so it might LOOK like learned all the game making stuff super fast (which I don't). I still have to record some of my progress to show my struggles, but I always forget to push those records buttons when I start on some new asset.

I do like it that now a bunch of us are starting to make games on our own. It's awesome to see these dreams from when we were young come to reality.

It's because of you and Shinu that I worked up the nerve. I would love for something to come of this.

Oh, how does the chest look? It looked good in the first frame, but then it looked too thick in the next so I removed a pixel. Does it look odd in motion? Does one look too thick or too thin?

Attempt 2!

Spoiler!

But you know what? You're right. Legs are hard. Why move them?

This way, I can increase the frames without increasing the workload.

Spoiler!

What do you think? Which looks better? And what else can I improve on?