Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    But I don't understand - Why wait for an English localization from Sega of America, who probably knows 0% Japanese in their whole team, and constantly makes translation/localization mistakes?

It just blows my mind, to be honest. How do you fuck that up, SOA?
    I hate how things change so much in America. Some changes off the top of my head:

1.Dragon Ball Z had blood and a shirt that said "Hell". Was edited out in America.

2.Gun color was changed in another cartoon to look more like a toy.

3.Phantasy Star 2 had a gay character, but was changed in America.

4.Final Fantasy had a church, not a clinic. Though FADE is a cooler spell name than HOLY so is not a total loss.

5.Bars turned to cafes in Final Fantasy VI

6.Final Fantasy IV goes further into Kain's backstory in the Japanese version while America gets the easy version.

7.Naked characters in Phantasy Star IV were edited out, not to mention the entire Profound Darkness origin story. Though Chaz is a cooler name than Rudy =) A bad change that more than makes up for it is Lutz changing to Noah.

8.Too many to mention.

That depends on what they're actually localizing, and how competent the team is.

The best example of localization is still the rice balls turned into donuts in Pokemon. Who makes donuts that look like that?

At first I thought they changed Rudy's name to Chaz so nobody would mix him up with Rudolph from Phantasy Star 2 ("Rudy" is common shorthand for "Rudolph," though PS2's character introduces himself as "Rudo.")

Then I found out "Alys" is supposed to be named "Lyla," Meaning they added a much more significant source of potential confusion, made worse in that there's even a city devoted to monuments of Alis.

Did Sega of America localize Phantasy Star Zero themselves, or did they hire another company to handle it... That translation went pretty well.

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

Quote Originally Posted by AgemFrostMage View Post
    I hate how things change so much in America. Some changes off the top of my head:

1.Dragon Ball Z had blood and a shirt that said "Hell". Was edited out in America.

2.Gun color was changed in another cartoon to look more like a toy.

3.Phantasy Star 2 had a gay character, but was changed in America.

4.Final Fantasy had a church, not a clinic. Though FADE is a cooler spell name than HOLY so is not a total loss.

5.Bars turned to cafes in Final Fantasy VI

6.Final Fantasy IV goes further into Kain's backstory in the Japanese version while America gets the easy version.

7.Naked characters in Phantasy Star IV were edited out, not to mention the entire Profound Darkness origin story. Though Chaz is a cooler name than Rudy =) A bad change that more than makes up for it is Lutz changing to Noah.

8.Too many to mention.
    I blame parents who let TV and games babysit their children.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    That depends on what they're actually localizing, and how competent the team is.

The best example of localization is still the rice balls turned into donuts in Pokemon. Who makes donuts that look like that?
    lmfao I always thought "Shit what kind of donuts are those, I sure would like to try one!" Finally did, rather tasty ;D

They're triangular jelly donuts

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    They're triangular jelly donuts
    lmao, thank you for posting this.

I'm just waiting for SEGA to disappoint my already low expectations of the English release. Its just so sad because if they actually tried they'd be able to get a lot of people to like the game, even with all of the clear problems it had when it started.

Such is the plight of bureaucratized game development.

They pool resources into developing a game, and if they think it'll flop because of its flaws they spend twice as much on a whole new, probably almost identical game (with more bloom) instead of half as much investigating and resolving its flaws.

SoA didn't do the localization for psu, SoJ did.

...reading some of the comments here makes it seem like the last games you've played were 90s localizations. e_e