Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920 LastLast

Microsoft is changing its DRM stuff.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

there will be no regional restrictions.

Microsoft announces XBox 180!

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

TotalBiscuit and Cliffy B are not being laughed at.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Does hal 9000 still watch you and your family/friends 24-7?

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Unfortunately, the DRM removal means the features it was implemented to enable in the first place - the universal cloud library and family sharing feature - have to be axed because they depended on it to be able to exist (specifically with disc-based games having parity with digital ones).

I don't really see why they couldn't still do that with digital games... Outside of the fact that it would create a disparity between them, making purchasers of retail copies of games effectively getting "less" than digital purchasers.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Unfortunately, the DRM removal means the features it was implemented to enable in the first place - the universal cloud library and family sharing feature - have to be axed because they depended on it to be able to exist (specifically with disc-based games having parity with digital ones).

I don't really see why they couldn't still do that with digital games... Outside of the fact that it would create a disparity between them, making purchasers of retail copies of games effectively getting "less" than digital purchasers.
    They should have just let people toggle between the two schemes. Additionally, this would give them numbers on which people preferred.
    Coming Soon!

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShinMaruku View Post
    TotalBiscuit and Cliffy B are not being laughed at.
    Lmao, ikr.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    They should have just let people toggle between the two schemes. Additionally, this would give them numbers on which people preferred.
    I was just thinking on this, and... Really, wouldn't the DRM systems, and all the features it allows to exist, benefit from being an optional system on a per-game basis?

It would complicate the matter a bit, as far as selling your physical copy back to GameStop for five cents goes, but the gist of what I'm thinking is something like this:

Every game comes with a registration code, and its use is optional. However, service features change depending on whether or not you have the game registered to your account.

Without registration:
    -The disc is required to play; you can install the game to your hard drive, and the game will function normally (i.e. how you work with disc-based games on basically any disc-using console ever).

With registration:
    -Disc is no longer required to play after installing to your hard drive or downloading from Xbox Live, and the game functions normally.
    -You can choose to share this game with your shared family over Xbox Live - you can always play your game, as can one other member of your family at a given time.
    -You have access to this title fully on any Xbox One you sign into (though you'll obviously have to download it to that console).
    -Discless play, cloud library and sharing features require that your console check-in, or else these features are disabled after 24 hours of your console being offline.
    -You can still play the game offline (presuming it's not an online-only game, of course) by simply inserting the disc.

The only real problem here comes in when you install the game, and then someone else plays a non-registered version on their console, but... How much more impact would that have than the family sharing feature in the first place? This, of course, is also assuming that certain (which, realistically, there's no way GameStop would be allowed to have the monopoly here - expect anyone that deals in used games as a business venture to really get this) retailers can unlink games from accounts and such (with the requisite verification and identification, etc.).

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Seems there's outcry... Over outcry?

http://sports4starters.wordpress.com...es-innovation/

In any case. Microsoft, I think its time you rethink your priorities next time for your system since you made such a boo boo.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

I find it ironic that gamers got what they wanted, and now are bitching about it by calling them cowards.

Then again, the DRM is not what my issue with the system (it was Kinect, which I don't care for or need).