Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    dont call people ignorant, theyre used to a system, its their right not to like a new one.
    I'm sure you know what that words means. People can use and like whatever they want, but when they call things bad that they obviously know nothing about then it is just ignorance.

I just wish they would remove GameGuard so we can all play PSO2 in peace without it breaking every other month I mean seriously it's dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyData View Post
    I'm sure you know what that words means. People can use and like whatever they want, but when they call things bad that they obviously know nothing about then it is just ignorance.
    If you don't think Windows 8 is bad, you're ignorant of computers in general.

I don't mean that about you personally, I'm just saying; Olaf is right on the money.

Edit: And I don't really fault less-computer-savvy people who don't hate Windows 8. Unless they try to defend it and say power users just don't like it because it's new. The new GUI is (sort of) interesting, and the Start Menu can be patched back in with third-part software; but the real problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft are trying to move Windows in the direction of being a closed system, much like IOS is already. They want to take control of the PC space away from users and indie devs because, in their eyes, the level of adoption they get for cramming their services down your throat will justify the backlash from the users who want a free and open system.
    Last edited by Jim; Sep 26, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
    I wrote an AC purchasing guide for JP PSO2 a long time ago. I don't play PSO2 anymore, but I still play Blue Burst sometimes. Maybe I'll catch you on there!

I had 8 and knew how to use it, the new UI is about useless for a desktop for a traditional PC. The lack of the "old" Start button & Menu is really annoying, but plenty of mods fix that. I used 8 for a few months to familiarize myself and see if I could like it since I got it dirt cheap. I ended up reloading my old Win 7 drive and sticking with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I don't mean that about you personally, I'm just saying; Olaf is right on the money.

Edit: And I don't really fault less-computer-savvy people who don't hate Windows 8. Unless they try to defend it and say power users just don't like it because it's new. The new GUI is (sort of) interesting, and the Start Menu can be patched back in with third-part software; but the real problem with Windows 8 is that Microsoft are trying to move Windows in the direction of being a closed system, much like IOS is already. They want to take control of the PC space away from users and indie devs because, in their eyes, the level of adoption they get for cramming their services down your throat will justify the backlash from the users who want a free and open system.
    this is true, thanks to uefi system, they made it harder for linux users who wanted to install ubuntu for example "so many distros" in their new win 8 pc's.

obviously theres already ways to do it, and the new ubuntu release already installs properly using the uefi system to its advantage.

honestly the only metro app i use is skype, and thats when i need 2 different accounts on.

i use the metro ui as a launcher. nothing more.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I've been building computers since the eighth grade and programming on a variety of systems in a variety of languages since high school. I run Windows XP, 7, 8, Knoppix, and Ubuntu at home. I don't think I'm what you would call ignorant of computers.

I like Windows 8.

The whole closed-OS thing is the only thing that frightens me, but considering you can still run any and all software that is made for any previous version of Windows (with some exceptions, as with XP>Vista>7) on the desktop makes it a moot point. If Windows 9 is "Microsoft Store only," THEN we can have this discussion. Frankly, I'm mega-pissed that this new touch-screen centered Xbox Game nonsense is causing Games for Windows Live out the window. GFWL had its issues, but it also had Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight, both of which are solid, enjoyable games. So, yes, Microsoft is going in a dangerous direction with Windows 8, but it's absolute nonsense to tell me I'm "ignorant of computers" because I don't think Win8 is bad.

ANYWAY. Back on topic.

I like a lot of the features coming to 8.1, but I haven't upgraded yet. However, if it breaks compatibility with PSO2, then we have a no-go. I won't touch it (on my primary PC) until GameGuard figures its problems out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    i use the metro ui as a launcher. nothing more.
    Same here. A lot of people cry about the start menu, but I have my start screen configured as a launch pad of sorts that just happens to take up my whole screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Link_of_Hyrule View Post
    I just wish they would remove GameGuard so we can all play PSO2 in peace without it breaking every other month I mean seriously it's dumb.
    Basically this.
    Last edited by Yamishi; Sep 26, 2013 at 01:22 PM.

None of this has anything to do with the topic...

Windows 8.1>Windows 8 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows 7

Well hopefully the Windows 8.1 RTM (Final as opposed to Release Preview) will fix the gameguard issues.

gameguard is the one who has to fix it, not microsoft. lol

big company> iddy biddy company.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.