Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Microsoft's Don Mattrick is Leaving The Company...

....for the Social Media Giant, Zynga.

Don Mattrick, president of Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. He's allegedly leaving the company for a high-ranking position at Zynga, which laid of 520 employees in June. Mattrick's appointment could be announced as early as today, according to AllThingsD. Mattrick was the corporate face of Xbox; he revealed the Xbox One in May.

Mattrick, following mixed messaging, recently explained why Microsoft decided to reverse its policies surrounding Xbox One's online and DRM restrictions. He also said that gamers who didn't approve of those policies should stick with Xbox 360.

Microsoft and Zynga were both unavailable for comment. We will update this story when they respond to IGN's inquiries.
    Source (IGN)
    Last edited by shagia; Jul 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: title typo!!!
    shagia * ship 2 * tumblr

well yeah people hated him for his snarky comments that he made. don't know it with effect Xbox's future. probably wont make a difference really

He's going to be Zynga's CEO. Not sure that's the public image that company needs right now.

Zynga already has enough issues at it is

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    He's going to be Zynga's CEO. Not sure that's the public image that company needs right now.
    Even with everything you're inferring about what his presence would mean for company image...

...This is Zynga we're talking about. Wouldn't just about anything be a step up?

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Even with everything you're inferring about what his presence would mean for company image...

...This is Zynga we're talking about. Wouldn't just about anything be a step up?
    It's certainly no means of improvement. I'd call it a lateral change on their image at best.

"Of their own accord" Enforcer MKV's Avatar
    Somewhere, being an old man again, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post

Exactly, this is Zynga we're talking about. Considering all the studio closures, talent exodus, and just general bad things happening...

No, this is about the one thing he could do that isn't a step up.
    Enforcer MkX [TE/RA]: Critically injured
    Violet MkV [BR/HU]: On active duty

Uh... if you guys genuinely think Don Mattrick is somehow bad at his job, I would recommend maybe spending some time outside of the enthusiast crowd? Dude know what he's doing, recent missteps notwithstanding.

That being said, you could not pay me enough to go work at Zynga right now. The company's in a nosedive. I didn't think it at first, but this really does feel like he's just hopping in to make some cash and then jumping ship.

He's not bad at his job and he's hardly a bad choice as a hire. But from a public-image standpoint for Zynga, a company that needs all the help it can get in that department, it's a really questionable move. I wouldn't want to work there either, not amidst all the turmoil they're in...I just don't think this move is what Zynga needed.

I'll put it this way: Zynga's target audience is the casual Facebook/smartphone gamer killing time at work. When they hear "former head of Xbox", the first thing to come to mind is the Xbox One launch media debacle they vaguely overheard on the internet and they're left with "wait, didn't he suck?". That's why I find it questionable.
    Last edited by CelestialBlade; Jul 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    I'll put it this way: Zynga's target audience is the casual Facebook/smartphone gamer killing time at work. When they hear "former head of Xbox", the first thing to come to mind is the Xbox One launch media debacle they vaguely overheard on the internet and they're left with "wait, didn't he suck?". That's why I find it questionable.
    More likely they hear "former head of Xbox" and go, "What's an Xbox?"

I'm being somewhat facetious, but let's be honest here: the average Facebook/smartphone gamer probably isn't aware of (or is and doesn't even care about) the Xbox One kerfuffle.

If it's an issue with anybody it would be Zynga's investors, but I have to assume they aren't too concerned if they gave the okay to hire him.