Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chrome Pso2 Extention Version 1.50 w/ Firefox Alpha

Version 1.50 is now available in the webstore, the notification system should be working again.
    Webstore Link

Sorry for the downtime. I haven't been playing Pso2 at all, uninstalled the extension on my own computer, and found out that right after I upgraded to 1.47 that twitter had decided to update their API to version 1.1 making my url calls on the extension invalid. For version 1.50, the user interface, aside from the options menu, shouldn't be any different from before. The back end on the other hand, now calls an application server that I wrote for the extension instead of twitter.

New Options Menu:
    The old options page looked terrible and wasn't very clear is you actually saved anything or not. The current options page uses jQuery with the Mobile Style library for a pretty sweet looking options page. The current options are reflected when you open it, so you can see if your browser is set or not. Other than that, hit a ship, select if you want notifications or not and hit save.
    Spoiler!

Backend Mumbo Jumbo:
    The previous extensions used url calls from twitter to get information from twitter and parse the type and time on the client side. That had several downsides of not getting responses from twitter, not converting to the local time zone correctly, and having to update the client directly every time a new EQ was put into circulation.

For version 1.50 I wrote my own application server with Nodejs and MongoDB to listen on twitter and parse the time and type server side. Everything is managed including the messages and the types on the server, so I can dynamically add and edit EQ information directly on the server and have it take effect with out having to update the client directly. Also, since there's not that much data being exchanged, it shouldn't backup like twitter that get's overloaded pretty often.

In addition, the server can be expanded. Because I'm using Nodejs with the twitter module instead of url calls to twitter directly, I can get everything tweeted by an account, tweets at that account, and tweets that the account follows. In otherwords, I've pretty much made the exact equivalent of the pso2_emg_bot just in Node.js (instead of python?). So it maybe possible to improve an expand on that system.

The only problem is that parsing twitter, and trying to get information from that in terms of time and date is pretty much a haphazard process. I might make a webform, for an addition to the chrome extension that would allow players to report EQ's from the drop down menu instead of having to write in some consistent format and look up what the current time in Japan is.

Notifications:
    Notifications were really annoying when I tried implementing them before, I was using timeouts to call the server every two minutes, which generally caused an annoying pop up each time. Now when an EQ is detected, the extension uses the time object for when it starts and uses that as a timeout to get it right on the hour when the next pop up appears. So basically you should only see two pop ups. The script runs once when you open the browser, so if you're constantly opening and closing chrome when an EQ is announced or in effect, then you'll get a pop up when the browser comes up. Haven't really tested it enough to see if I should add some code to prevent that, but for now, if it's annoying just go to the options page and turn it off.

Firefox Extension Alpha:
    (Work in progress!): Download Link

Spoiler!

Only my third day working on it, but for the most part it seems to be working. I realized on the previews i posted before this, I had the request to the server set as static to Ship01. Changing the ship changed the message to reflect the ship number, but the addon displayed the same EQ for everything. That has been fixed, also, selecting a ship is saved when closed and should still be set when the window is opened again. Aside from that, the color change seems to work, the context scripts for translating the player page seem to work. There's still several details, fixes and improvements that need to take place, but the functionality seems to be there, so I'm upgrading the status to alpha.

3,455 users on the chrome extension. Just wanted to say thanks for everyone who downloaded the extension, and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Kion; Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Great to see it working again! Thank you very much!
    (Deleted)Rosalynn | 50 FI / 55 HU
    (Active) Yuika | 15 Br / 0 Hu
    Gungnir [Team Leader]

I'm glad this is back, now I don't have to log on.
    Great job

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

It's asking me to publish an app..

THX Kion
    Your signature image was 1,022px × 328px. Signature images are limited to a combined total of 600 pixels in width, 180 pixels in height, and 50,000 bytes in filesize.
    I play on Ship 2 and the name of my character is Cryska, feel free to send a friend request.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinamori View Post
    It's asking me to publish an app..
    Sorry, I copy and pasted the link right when I published it. Link in the first post should be working now.

Ah, so the firefox version is ready(sort of) lol. I'll be happy to test it out for you since firefox is my main browser.

... I still need to get off my butt and work on more icons. lol But let me know if you need some new stuff for it.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

Firefox version is no where close to ready (even for testing >.<). I added my development checklist to a spoiler-box in the first post.

Firefox development has been coming along faster than expected. Second day working on it, and for the most part it's pretty close to its chrome counter part.

To set the ship to follow:
    Goto the tools menu, addon, click on the extensions tab, and click on preferences. There is a drop on tab to select the ship. Changes will be reflected immediately. Desktop notifications are not supported yet.
    Ship follow not permanent:
    Need to get to sleep, so I'll have to address this later. It seems that the ship isn't saved on close and resets to Ship01 each time firefox is closed and opened, meaning you have to set the addon preferences each time. Keep in mind this is a preview.
    Icon Position:
    Looking at Mozilla's bug report, it seems they intent on making addons in the navbar a possibility in the future, but for now, it seems they are restricted to the addon bar. I did try a tweak to put the icon in the navbar, but clicking on it causes the popup to display in the middle of the window, so unless I can find a work around for that, that's where it's going to stay.
    Last edited by Kion; Jul 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM.

is it me or has the firefox addon not shown an eq since the 6th?