Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    Uh~ I won't touch on this for now.
    I wouldn't want you to. I'm a "no spoilers" kind of person. But I find it valuable to know what my readers are thinking and expecting, so I figured I'd share my own prediction.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

It is, and it's appreciated for that.

That kind of feedback makes me think about what kind of writer I want to be. If the audience gets it right, is that good or bad? Playing to their expectations may be fine so long as you do it in a new and interesting way. Shocking them is nice, but that can get overplayed.
    I got a nice bit of introspection from that, which should help me be a better writer.

Though what would be even better is if I did some actual writing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing something expected if it's what makes the most sense for the story. Surprises are nice from time to time to keep the readers guessing, but don't assume that "predictable" always means "bad." Like you said, it depends on how it's written. Sometimes I write what's expected just to make the surprises more shocking. Like everything was going the way you expected, and then... BAM!

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

That's a good point. And now that you're known for killing off characters, it feels that much better when they get out alive!
    I just want to make sure I'm writing a unique story. I think it was unique when I came up with it, but media has caught up. It turns out there's a whole society of Levias in Steven Universe, for instance.

That's the thing, though. You may think your idea was unique, but chances are it's been done before in some capacity. Sadly we live in an age when nearly every original idea has already been thought of. At this point we're just coming up with variations of past ideas. It's a lot harder to come up with something completely new. Of course, there are so many ideas and stories out there that people won't be familiar with the vast majority of them, so your stuff can still feel unique.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

I think it's always been the case, even. We told stories about life situations. Then we told stories about past stories. Then each person added their own flavor to each story.

It's not something I'm particularly worried about. In fact, all that I'm worried about is attempting to make steady progress in a way which will allow me to increase the amount of words I write each day. And limit the time I'm starring at a blank screen, unsure of how to continue.
    I've always felt I was a better editor than writer. I've always been partial to the phrase "Write drunk, edit sober", but that's way too much alcohol to consume just to keep my story flowing.