Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The first two Panzer Dragoons on the Saturn had some pretty bad box text. They had very little to do with the actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post

Why's a tiny knuckles infront of sonic, and where's Sonic's left foot. Could fit those character in way better. I'm assuming sonic's bigass red shoe would've blocked knuckles but this solution makes no sense.
    I think it's not one big image, but clips of each character pasted on the background. I doubt they attempted to make it just one single image.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine

Spoiler!

The stark difference between the japanese and US box art covers for Final Fantasy 6, mainly how the latter is more lacking (Ironic, since its usually the other way around with FF box covers)
    Heeding the call of the Hunter in PSP2? Use this: Beginner's Guide to Hunter Domination

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Quote Originally Posted by Retehi View Post
    Any box art of someone holding a gun now is trying to appease to CoD fans, ok, makes sense.
    Actually, in the case of BioShock Infinite, this was the intention.

Basically, the box art was intended to appeal to the type of person who plays games, but isn't an enthusiast to the point of reading news about the gaming world regularly. It's to communicate what the game is, at its base level and in a way that immediately grabs your attention, and get players to pick up the box and read the back, which gives more information.

It's the same concept as the teaser, trailer, feature process (or alternatively, the cover letter, resume, interview process). One of them exists solely to get you to look into the preview of it, specifically if you're someone who wasn't already going to due to other knowledge. Realistically, it's probably the best way to go about it, since box art is really a marketing thing anyway.

In the case of BioShock Infinite, it's a game about a dude running around and shooting guys in Sky-Murrica. In reality, the game isn't honestly much more deep than that from a gameplay perspective.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Actually, in the case of BioShock Infinite, this was the intention.

Basically, the box art was intended to appeal to the type of person who plays games, but isn't an enthusiast to the point of reading news about the gaming world regularly. It's to communicate what the game is, at its base level and in a way that immediately grabs your attention, and get players to pick up the box and read the back, which gives more information.

It's the same concept as the teaser, trailer, feature process (or alternatively, the cover letter, resume, interview process). One of them exists solely to get you to look into the preview of it, specifically if you're someone who wasn't already going to due to other knowledge. Realistically, it's probably the best way to go about it, since box art is really a marketing thing anyway.

In the case of BioShock Infinite, it's a game about a dude running around and shooting guys in Sky-Murrica. In reality, the game isn't honestly much more deep than that from a gameplay perspective.
    this is true of pretty much all box art though

it's automatically assumed that the informed players are, well, informed, and will not decide to boycott a game based on cover art, even if it's somehow deceptive or generic

people who don't know jack shit all about a game, however, will decide to not buy a game if the cover art doesn't look good

also basically all FPS games boil down to just shooting shit in [location] so yeah

AKA Sapphire of Chaos Chaos Rappy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retehi View Post
    Any box art of someone holding a gun now is trying to appease to CoD fans, ok, makes sense.

BTW:

Those are his fingers, not his mouth. The pic on the right is just a spoof of what it appears as. Goldeneye's boxart was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken_L_button View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rappy View Post
    I've been a statistical exception as far as anything has proven to me.
    That's an understatement...
    ~Keeper of 1000 Rappy Souls~
    TSV's: X - 0401, Y - 0845, AS - 1277

[quote=Retehi;3031307]Any box art of someone holding a gun now is trying to appease to CoD fans, ok, makes sense.

No, the whole trying to look cool holding a gun pose does not represent what Bioshock Infinite was. That's why the box art is awful. The first Bioshock didn't rely on something like that, the change was unneeded. The whole cater to casuals crap is BS. Last Of Us and GTA series don't use this type of box art and they do fine. There's nothing wrong with holding an gun it, but it needs to be done right. Like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Rappy View Post
    Those are his fingers, not his mouth. The pic on the right is just a spoof of what it appears as. Goldeneye's boxart was fine.
    I agree
    Last edited by Sexy_Raine; Aug 31, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy_Raine View Post
    No, the whole trying to look cool holding a gun pose does not represent what Bioshock Infinite was. That's why the box art is awful. The first Bioshock didn't rely on something like that, the change was unneeded. The whole cater to casuals crap is BS. Last Of Us and GTA series don't use this type of box art and they do fine. There's nothing wrong with holding an gun it, but it needs to be done right.
    I haven't played any of the bioshock games except for the first, and let me say that I loved the boxart with the big daddies on them. The second even had the added bonus of the Big Daddy resembling Bomberman. That boxart is what got me to play the first Bioshock, it had something on it that looked interesting, but I had little information on. Big Daddies look cool, but I didn't know what they were, looked it up, and got interested in the game, so I played the game.

In GTA's case, I assume most people know what the game is like, and it's exactly what some casuals want, free open world where you can steal cars and shoot hookers. So I think boxart is irrelevant with GTA. Everyone already knows what it is, and I doubt there will be major changes to the series in the future that will require informing people of the changes through boxart.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine

To quote AVGN (I think) It's like a game within a game...
    Spoiler!

This game, when I originally bought it, had the worst and the best box cover art, at the same time!!!
    This only existed for the Japanese release.

PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.